What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Jordan Webb named as starter - Confirmed

Hope this isn't a dumb question, but is anyone the least bit concerned this could divide the team? A guy shows up a month ago without putting in all the work with the team and he becomes the starter?

Hope this isn't a dumb question, but is anyone the least bit concerned this could divide the team? A guy shows up a month ago without putting in all the work with the team and he becomes the starter?

No way, if they want to win. Sounds like it wasn't even close.

Probably. But I'm not going to act like we're 'settling' on Webb because everyone else is awful. I think any QB that come into a new program and take over the starting job must bring a lot to the table.

Why do you think this is true? What have you seen from Wood or Hirshman that makes you think they're hard to beat out? By the looks of it, neither will probably ever star for us. It'd probably be best for Wood to have never joined us and Hirshman to now find a lower division team.

Tyler's comp% last year = 56.1, passer rating = 125.53
jordan's comp% last year = 63.7, passer rating = 126.72

...so I guess we'll see

And that's why passer rating is the most worthless statistic in the history of worthless statistics. It really wants to claim that Webb had a better season last year than Hansen? Absurd.

Either way, seems Webb is either more accurate than Hansen or readily drops it off in the flat more often. I'm guessing he'll have a lower YPA, but a higher completion %. At the end of the day, as long as he has around twice as many TDs as INTs, I'm happy.

And that's why passer rating is the most worthless statistic in the history of worthless statistics. It really wants to claim that Webb had a better season last year than Hansen? Absurd.

Either way, seems Webb is either more accurate than Hansen or readily drops it off in the flat more often. I'm guessing he'll have a lower YPA, but a higher completion %. At the end of the day, as long as he has around twice as many TDs as INTs, I'm happy.

Tyler's YPA was 7.0, Webb's YPA was 6.7 so they're about even. Tyler came up from a 6.7 his junior year.

Which is why I added the comp %. Passer rating "sucks... as it cuts."

If its true that it wasn't close then everyone one the team knows he's the right guy and will want him at QB as the guy who gives them the best chance to win.

I think we can give him a pass on that. It's a long season and he's allowed to have a little fun with us and the media every now and then. As long as he told the QBs and team first, no big deal imo.

Considering how lengthy the report on cubuffs.com was that was posted with the announcement, CU pr/marketing has been preparing for the announcement for at least the day. And the fact that the whole department has gotten a lot more twitter savvy since the marketing guy got there, I'd bet that riddle tweet was not from Embree. I have a hard time believing Embree was sitting around thinking about what random facts about Kansas he can weave into his QB announcement. Sounds like a marketing department trying to be clever.

Or Russell Wilson or Drew Brees. People seem to think just because someone's short they can't ball.

Right, webb is drew brees. How many times do you have to see this before realizing CU isn't getting it done at the qb position?

Likewise - Webb isn't Cody Hawkins

We like to bitch about Cody, but if he'd had good OL play and a run game, he would have been a very good college QB. Kid was accurate and could sling it. Problem was, he couldn't move very well and he didn't get any protection. Stats may have been inflated a bit by playcalling, but still, you don't set the passing yardage record if you can't play.

Embree said "Each day is was becoming more and more obvious. We do a lot of scrimmage situations type scenarios. Everyday, 'bout 20-25 plays daily, and he just consistently made plays, made good decisions, is very accurate with his ball. And like I said, I'm not into playing games and sitting around and waiting and I think it's fair to the players and the team that when we knew, we'd let em know."

http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/894/1278650.mp3

I think this disappoints me mainly because of how last year there were lots of "insider" reports of Wood dominating on the scout team. Things like, "If he were eligible, he'd be starting over Hansen." From there, add in an entire spring where he gets 100% of the reps, plus summer. Then an average at best QB from Kansas rolls in a takes the starting job with ease.

Maybe Hawkins was even better than Webb. Compare their first two years, who's more impressive?

My point is - and I think you're intentionally being obtuse - that some folks on this site like to immediately prejudge a QB just because he is short. The reason people do that is because of Cody Hawkins. There are plenty of examples of good and terrible QBs of any height - let's just give him a shot before we start ripping him.

I think this disappoints me mainly because of how last year there were lots of "insider" reports of Wood dominating on the scout team. Things like, "If he were eligible, he'd be starting over Hansen." From there, add in an entire spring where he gets 100% of the reps, plus summer. Then an average at best QB from Kansas rolls in a takes the starting job with ease.

Shouldn't that make you excited about Webb?

I had predicted Wood would be the starter, so naturally, this is no surprise.

A bunch of angry over this decision that I don't understand.

Sure Wood looks like he should be the guy on paper. 4* highly recruited, blah blah blah. Bottom line is he transferred from UT because he could not sniff the field he was so far down the depth chart. I understand UT and QB politics blah blah blah.

With this decision sounds like there was a reason he was so far down the depth chart at UT. Maybe he has issues with the playbook, accuracy, whatever it is the coaches didn't feel like they even needed to wait for the scrimmage before making the announcement.

I'm don't think that Webb is going to win any awards with his QB play, but if we can run the ball and keep things manageable with the down and distance I'm good with Webb.

A bunch of angry over this decision that I don't understand.

Sure Wood looks like he should be the guy on paper. 4* highly recruited, blah blah blah. Bottom line is he transferred from UT because he could not sniff the field he was so far down the depth chart. I understand UT and QB politics blah blah blah.

With this decision sounds like there was a reason he was so far down the depth chart at UT. Maybe he has issues with the playbook, accuracy, whatever it is the coaches didn't feel like they even needed to wait for the scrimmage before making the announcement.

I'm don't think that Webb is going to win any awards with his QB play, but if we can run the ball and keep things manageable with the down and distance I'm good with Webb.
The bolded and consistency, which go hand in hand to an extent, were Embree's issue.

My point is - and I think you're intentionally being obtuse - that some folks on this site like to immediately prejudge a QB just because he is short. The reason people do that is because of Cody Hawkins. There are plenty of examples of good and terrible QBs of any height - let's just give him a shot before we start ripping him.

Not so much ripping him as I am ripping Wood and Hirshman. They've been here long enough and they got beat out by a transfer within a week. What does that say about them?

Also, why is it wrong to compare the Hawkin's and Webb's seasons? Do you think that Colorado was that much better than Kansas that Hawkin's stats would be inflated? We were both VERY bad teams. I think it's a fair comparison.

Last edited:
saw this coming, sorry but you dont bring a transfer QB like Webb in if you are happy with your current options.

Shouldn't that make you excited about Webb?

We'll see! I'm guessing this was more a matter of Wood/Hirsch not doing much than Webb beating out a couple of guys we would've been happy with as well. But, you could be right. I enjoy my pessimism, though. :smile2:

We will see. Not a surprise. Strange to think the CU QB position is still deeper and better than its been in any time in the last 8 years.

From my observations of the practices, Webb was the clear winner even though Wood and Hirsch had allsome performances as well. Webb just had a great presence in the pocket and was able to hit recievers (they were allsome too) with accuracy while on the run (he had to scramble after the pocket broke down after 10 seconds... the defense was that good in coverage). Wait, the defensive line was close to breaking down the pocket and looked allsome almost getting to Webb, that was too fast and too accurate (did I mention that already?).

In all I have been very impressed by Webb... and everybody else.

We will see. Not a surprise. Strange to think the CU QB position is still deeper and better than its been in any time in the last 8 years.

And unlike the DII error, I expect that Embree would be quick to make a change if Wood or anyone else starts showing more in practice, or if Webb struggles during games making plays.

Back