What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Jordan Webb - Thoughts......

I HATED this when I first read about it, but thinking about it now:

-I'm not off the Wood bandwagon. There have been some really nice glimmers in there and if our O Line give him time he can play
-Why not keep some depth at QB in the form of Gehrke and Sefo's redshirts for upcoming seasons.
- As much as I hate to say it, Webb can play some football. We know what we're getting with him and it's not incredible, but not that bad either. He's scrappy and plays hard- nobody can dispute that. He can get the ball to receivers and probably isn't going to make huge mistakes. I think that's exactly what we're looking for in this situation. Remember that we are talking about a backup QB

Jordan Webb is the best QB we have, and we might never know about because of last year. Connor Wood will not hit anybody to get a first down or a TD. We all know that (I think). I still remember the WSU game last year where without him, we would have been 0-12. If that matters.

Seriously? Wood has already won twice as many games at Colorado as Webb with half as many starts. Wood has made a lot of nice throws downfield to PRich, DD, and Spruce. He would have made few more had they not been dropped. Wood has legitimate BCS talent, and hasn't done anything that has really turned me off at this point. I'm still 100% behind him as the starter.

Last year was so f'd up as a football program you can't really tell how they are gonna be.....look at the defense being competent this year as compared to whatever that was last year. And Kansas in football is well...Kansas. I think that HCMM will go to Webb only if he thinks he is a better option than Wood.

I just want to win. I still believe the OL is the largest problem on this team. Put in whatever kid we need to win.

I think Webb is a great option, if you want to keep Sefo's red shirt. 1st Webb is a smart kid (working on his Phd?), not going to make a lot of mistakes, scrappy, tough, has seen a lot of coverages, has played a lot of D1 ball, etc...

The problem is the OL, he did not have PRich last year and no running game. Webb will do pretty good IMO. We need a couple more wins to show progress.
If it takes putting Webb in there to get those wins I am all in, Go Webb - Go Buffs ! We have to trust HCMM and Lindgren. They know we need to win, and they know we need a signature win this season.

Wood looked good twice and decent twice - now we need a QB to step up and take the position. Competition creates a better team / players.

Last edited:
I feel the complete opposite. Webb may have played for some awful offenses, but he's had what 30+ starts in his career and has shown absolutely nothing. Wood has struggled lately, but he's won a couple games this season and has one game where he threw for over 400 yards. We're right about where most expected this team to be at this point, so what more does Webb bring to the table?

And maybe I was watching a different player, but "gamer" is not a word I would use to describe Webb under the old regime. I've never seen a QB sulk more after being contnually berated, trashed and verbally assaulted by an alleged head coach, in my life - his HC in Boulder caused him to look and act completely defeated halfway through the 2nd quarter in most games, because that was how the bewildered coach felt.

fify.......

Besides I just heard our coach last night say "we need a big signature win to get this thing going". I guess they had a win at new mexico st. a couple of years ago, that is when the lights came on at San Jose St. after that they were competing and winning games from then on.

I know new mexico st. ??? I thought the same thing, but hey our coach said it.

Last year was so f'd up as a football program you can't really tell how they are gonna be.....look at the defense being competent this year as compared to whatever that was last year. And Kansas in football is well...Kansas. I think that HCMM will go to Webb only if he thinks he is a better option than Wood.

So 3rd times a charm eh? With as many starts as he's had in his career, you'd expect him to show some occasional flashes and I've never seen it from him. Again, what does he bring to the table that we aren't currently getting from Wood? He's got an abysmal record as a starter, a weak arm, some of the worst body language I've ever seen, is learning a new system in his last year of eligibility, and is coming off an ACL tear and legal troubles - I'm amazed he's still on scholarship much less in discussion to actually play.

Go with Gehrke or Sefo if we need a backup to play, at least that game experience will benefit us into the future. Webb playing does nothing for us IMO.

Has anyone seen Webb be the difference maker, allowing the team to ride his arm/legs to a win? Me either. Unless he is that kind of player, he should just be the dependable backup caretaker QB, used to preserve RS's.

So 3rd times a charm eh? With as many starts as he's had in his career, you'd expect him to show some occasional flashes and I've never seen it from him. Again, what does he bring to the table that we aren't currently getting from Wood? He's got an abysmal record as a starter, a weak arm, some of the worst body language I've ever seen, is learning a new system in his last year of eligibility, and is coming off an ACL tear and legal troubles - I'm amazed he's still on scholarship much less in discussion to actually play.

Go with Gehrke or Sefo if we need a backup to play, at least that game experience will benefit us into the future. Webb playing does nothing for us IMO.
I can see that side of things also. The coaches are going to play whomever gives us the best shot at winning. These guys are way smarter then the last staff. I actually trust them. I really do not or have not seen them showing the favoritism that Embree and staff showed.

If Webb can keep a RS on the young guys fine. Webb coming into the game for any reason other than CU somehow up big in a 2nd half is a not a good thing.

Wood has made some big mistakes this year and really needs to improve, but he is 100% better than Webb.

It makes us extremely inexperienced at QB next season.
You see true freshman, more and more, starting in the NCAA. I just don't think it's a big deal. Is getting a game or toe of experience worth burning a RS for? That is the gist of it. That is for the coaches to decide. Maybe they look at this Apsay kid and say, "You know what, he's as good or better than Sefo, lets go ahead and get Sefo in there. OTOH, maybe they think Sefo has so much potential and is developing so well that they prefer to salvage a RS. Who knows?

For the first time ever, DBT strikes me as almost logical in this thread, but that's compared to some pretty illogical things posted by a few others.

I wish HCMM would hand over our offense to BB2.
"First time ever?" :sad2:

I still don't understand why we are so keen on redshirting Gehrke. I'm not sure what that does for us. Sefo, sure.

I still don't understand why we are so keen on redshirting Gehrke. I'm not sure what that does for us. Sefo, sure.

Staff believes he can be a damn QB down the line with some development

Sent from a red light

fify.......

So all these years he's just been held back by poor coaching and now he's finally ready to shine?

His career record is 5-26 and worse yet, here is a list of all 5 teams he has beaten:

Georgia Tech
New Mexico State
McNeese State
Northern Illinois
Washington State

His best win was against a decent NIU team that went on to beat Arkansas State in the GoDaddy.com bowl.

So all these years he's just been held back by poor coaching and now he's finally ready to shine?

His career record is 5-26 and worse yet, here is a list of all 5 teams he has beaten:

Georgia Tech
New Mexico State
McNeese State
Northern Illinois
Washington State

His best win was against a decent NIU team that went on to beat Arkansas State in the GoDaddy.com bowl.

Look at the teams he has been on. Kansas has still been awful without him. CU would have lost with John Elway at QB last year

Look at the teams he has been on. Kansas has still been awful without him. CU would have lost with John Elway at QB last year

So what? Are we so markedly improved this year that Webb, after 30 career starts, is finally surrounded by the supporting cast that will allow him to shine? We're still not very good and I'm not interested in the reasons why a player in his final year of eligibility (i.e. can't help us next year) has been so bad in his career - and he's been very bad.

I'm still waiting for someone to explain what he brings to the table that we don't already have? This team has one bona fide weapon on offense and Wood, unlike Webb, actually has the arm strength to take advantage of PRich's deep play ability.

Last edited:
So what? Are we so markedly improved this year that Webb, after 30 career starts, is finally surrounded by the supporting cast that will allow him to shine? We're still not very good and I'm not interested in the reasons why a player in his final year of eligibility (i.e. can't help us next year) has been so bad in his career - and he's been very bad.

I'm still waiting for someone to explain what he brings to the table that we don't already have? This team has one boba fide weapon on offense and Wood, unlike Webb, actually has the arm strength to take advantage of PRich's deep play ability.

I don't think any one said Webb would "shine." Let's say we're down 7 in the 3rd vs ASU this weekend and Wood goes down with a concussion. Would Sefo be the guy to lead us to victory in his first pt ever? Highly doubtful. Webb is a guy we could plug in who has the experience to possibly pull out a W in a situation like that.

I don't think any RSs are sacred. We just need to win as many games as we can as soon as possible to attract better overall talent. If the replacement time is meaningless, sure, put in Webb or Dorman for that matter. But if Wood can't perform for some reason for a longer term, the best guy should see the field, RSs be damned.

I honestly do not see how people can be sold on Webb as a possible starting QB. He is flirting with maybe having the worst winning record of all time for a QB with that many starts. He was on some very crappy teams, but his play (from what I saw last year) was a big part of those team's issues. I don't want to get down on him personally, and I honestly don't mind him as a backup in emergency situations, but to think he is an better alternative than Wood is simply crazy.

I don't think any one said Webb would "shine." Let's say we're down 7 in the 3rd vs ASU this weekend and Wood goes down with a concussion. Would Sefo be the guy to lead us to victory in his first pt ever? Highly doubtful. Webb is a guy we could plug in who has the experience to possibly pull out a W in a situation like that.

If Wood goes down with a concussion I absolutely go with Gehrke or Sefo regardless or score or situation. A concussion will keep Wood out at least a week so we need to get these kids some experience. I'm really not as concerned about preserving these precious redshirts and I'm willing to live with some freshmen struggles this season if it makes us a better team next year.

If Wood goes down and we play Webb to protect these redshirts, we're in the same position with our QBs next season: Wood and a couple other kids who haven't taken a single snap - that's not a good position to be in.

Now if it's a minor thumb injury or something that won't keep Wood out for more than a quarter or so, fine play Webb.

Back