What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Jordan Wynn...

Exactly. What Wynn was looking at was not just Cody, but also the fact that Tyler was in the mix, was looking like the next starting QB (or even the starter already, as far as Wynn could tell at the time). And Tyler, at the time, had 3 years left to play. Utah really had virtually nobody in his path. To say that his decision was all about some desire to not deal with preferential treatment of Cody is more about grinding an axe than about the reality of the situation...
The reality is that Hansen was replaced by Cody and he also carried an QB rating of 81.26. I never remember having the feeling, "Yay, we finally found our starting QB for the next 3 years." My feeling last season was closer to, "We are so ****ed at QB for the next 3 years." Yet, we have not been able to get a quality bluechip to come to Boulder.

The reality is that Hansen was replaced by Cody and he also carried an QB rating of 81.26. I never remember having the feeling, "Yay, we finally found our starting QB for the next 3 years." My feeling last season was closer to, "We are so ****ed at QB for the next 3 years." Yet, we have not been able to get a quality bluechip to come to Boulder.

I go back and forth on Hansen. At times I think he can be a mid-level Big 12 starter. Other times I think he is merely an upgrade over Cody.

I go back and forth on Hansen. At times I think he can be a mid-level Big 12 starter. Other times I think he is merely an upgrade over Cody.

Hansen looks good when compared to Hawkins. A minor upgrade to a Div 2 level qb.

Evans, not as advertised and maybe changing positions.

Hirschman, I am sorry, big slow kid.

Munchie and Moten will be moved

Lobato is the best qb on the team in mobility and arm strength. Watch for him to make a move this spring up the depth chart.

Sorry - when I said "last season," I meant two seasons ago (Tyler's freshmen year). My point was that it should not have been too hard to convince Wynn that there would be an opportunity to compete for time given the quarterback play at the time that Wynn decommited.

If Wynn chose Utah because was unsure whether he was as good as our existing QBs, then he made a poor decision.

If he chose Utah because he thought it was a superior program or because he did not want to deal with competing against the coach's son, then he made a wise decision.

This is not meant to bash Tyler. I'm objectively looking at what Tyler did his freshman year. Last year, I thought Tyler had improved. He showed some things where he may be a good Big 12 QB some day. Or he may not. We'll see... Or maybe we won't.

I agree there HL and I did not think your post was bashing Tyler at all. The struggles in QB recruiting is one of the main reasons this program is struggling so much right now.

I'm excited about all of these QBs. Hawkins has shown us great player development over the last four years and with Bohn's "one more year" comment, I'm sure we'll see these QBs take CU Football to the next level.

The REALITY is that Hansen had established himself as the next guy. Nobody said he was great as a freshman, but for a true freshman he showed a lot of tools. And he had 3 years of eligibility left. Utah had nobody comparable. The REALITY is that Wynn had a much clearer path to earlier playing time at Utah.

If you think we're ****ed at QB with Hansen there, you're watching something different than I am. He may not be a future all-American, but he is far from being the problem with this team.

The REALITY is that Hansen had established himself as the next guy. Nobody said he was great as a freshman, but for a true freshman he showed a lot of tools. And he had 3 years of eligibility left. Utah had nobody comparable. The REALITY is that Wynn had a much clearer path to earlier playing time at Utah.

No. Your reality is so far from the real reality it's really funny. The REALITY is this:

We had lost 58-0 to Missouri at home.

We were 2-5 in Big 12 play.

Hawk's record at CU was 13-23.

We were not going to a bowl game.

It was Hawk's 3rd year and it looked like we were regressing instead of progressing.

Meanwhile, Utah was undefeated and headed to a BCS bowl.

So, Wynn is probably thinking to himself: "Huh. If I look behind their past, Colorado sucks. Not only do they suck, but the coaches son is their quarterback. Why in the hell would I choose to go there instead of Utah?"

Which explains this quote: The reason why I committed to Colorado was that they were a BCS school,” Wynn said. “I knew they played Texas and Oklahoma every year. But then I really thought about it, thought about how Utah is in a bowl game every year and it just seemed better.”

If you think we're ****ed at QB with Hansen there, you're watching something different than I am. He may not be a future all-American, but he is far from being the problem with this team.

See my other post. Like I said, I think Hansen can be a good QB. But he did not show anything in his freshmen year that should deter a recruit. He was probably unprepared. Given the track records, I am guessing this is more the coaches' fault than his own.

No. Your reality is so far from the real reality it's really funny. The REALITY is this:

We had lost 58-0 to Missouri at home.

We were 2-5 in Big 12 play.

Hawk's record at CU was 13-23.

We were not going to a bowl game.

It was Hawk's 3rd year and it looked like we were regressing instead of progressing.

Meanwhile, Utah was undefeated and headed to a BCS bowl.

So, Wynn is probably thinking to himself: "Huh. If I look behind their past, Colorado sucks. Not only do they suck, but the coaches son is their quarterback. Why in the hell would I choose to go there instead of Utah?"

Which explains this quote: The reason why I committed to Colorado was that they were a BCS school,” Wynn said. “I knew they played Texas and Oklahoma every year. But then I really thought about it, thought about how Utah is in a bowl game every year and it just seemed better.”

See my other post. Like I said, I think Hansen can be a good QB. But he did not show anything in his freshmen year that should deter a recruit. He was probably unprepared. Given the track records, I am guessing this is more the coaches' fault than his own.

Huh. I must be forgetting things in my old age. Because I really don't remember saying we were a good team, that we were better than Utah or anything even REMOTELY of the sort.

What I said is that Hansen was a quarterback with 3 years of eligibility remaining who had inroads on the starting QB position, and that Utah had nobody comparable, and therefore Wynn was more likely to get early playing time there. Which is, strangely enough, exactly what happened in REALITY....

Huh. I must be forgetting things in my old age. Because I really don't remember saying we were a good team, that we were better than Utah or anything even REMOTELY of the sort.

What I said is that Hansen was a quarterback with 3 years of eligibility remaining who had inroads on the starting QB position, and that Utah had nobody comparable, and therefore Wynn was more likely to get early playing time there. Which is, strangely enough, exactly what happened in REALITY....

I think it is a stretch to say Hansen had inroads as the starting qb. He was yanked in the ISU game and Cody then started against NU. If anything, Cody looked entrenched at that point.

The bottom line is that Wynn didn't pick CU because Utah was going to BCS bowls and winning games, and not us.

While PT is important to players, a successful team is almost always the main draw; especially at QB.

QB's know more than any other position that they need a good supporting cast and good playcalling in order to be successful.

Wynn picked the team that had those factors, maybe or maybe not partly due to competition for the starting job, but if Hawkins and Hansen were at Utah and CU had nobody at QB but we were still losing like we are does any truly think things would be different?

The bottom line is that Wynn didn't pick CU because Utah was going to BCS bowls and winning games, and not us.

While PT is important to players, a successful team is almost always the main draw; especially at QB.

QB's know more than any other position that they need a good supporting cast and good playcalling in order to be successful.

Wynn picked the team that had those factors, maybe or maybe not partly due to competition for the starting job, but if Hawkins and Hansen were at Utah and CU had nobody at QB but we were still losing like we are does any truly think things would be different?

You simply cannot make a blanket statement for all qb prospects. They are very aware of how many guys are on a roster, since there is only one qb on the field at a time, maybe one qb and one backup see any playing time in a year. Jordan chose a school that was winning, BUT ...
he also did NOT choose a school that had a junior QB/Cody, a younger QB/Tyler with some game experience, redshirts Clark/Seth/Jerry waiting in the wings potentially at that time, Moten still committed, and so on. Whether or not they are tearing it up, there were a lot of guys at CU that Wynn would have to hurdle over to get to play. Utah, not so much.

You simply cannot make a blanket statement for all qb prospects. They are very aware of how many guys are on a roster, since there is only one qb on the field at a time, maybe one qb and one backup see any playing time in a year. Jordan chose a school that was winning, BUT ...
he also did NOT choose a school that had a junior QB/Cody, a younger QB/Tyler with some game experience, redshirts Clark/Seth/Jerry waiting in the wings potentially at that time, Moten still committed, and so on. Whether or not they are tearing it up, there were a lot of guys at CU that Wynn would have to hurdle over to get to play. Utah, not so much.

Sure, blanket statements are tough to support; and I shouldn't be making them either.

My main point was that arguing over whether Hansen/Hawkins/et al constituted "hurdles" for Jordan Wynn is a mute point because he stated that he was attracted to us because we were in a BCS conference, but still chose Utah because they actually were going to BCS bowls.

Sure, blanket statements are tough to support; and I shouldn't be making them either.

My main point was that arguing over whether Hansen/Hawkins/et al constituted "hurdles" for Jordan Wynn is a mute point because he stated that he was attracted to us because we were in a BCS conference, but still chose Utah because they actually were going to BCS bowls.

It is hard to know exactly why Wynn picked Utah over CU and you both are probably right to an extent. It is possible that even if Wynn were to talk about it he could not say why he made the choice. A lot of times these decisions are made based on what "feels right" at the time. A gut decision.

What is significant is that we are coming into Hawk's fifth year at CU and Hawk's fifth year with Cody on the team. In all that time Nick Hirschman is the first QB recruit that I feel any amount of significant enthusiasm about. I know that an earlier poster called him big and slow but those attributes have been put on a lot of quality QBs including a bunch who were somewhat overlooked in HS and now play in the NFL. His tape and his numbers show a guy who has at least the potential to be a difference maker at the position.

TH shows signs that given some coaching and support (questionable issues considering who is in charge) he can at least be adequete to win some games at this level but again we didn't exactly beat out the top 25 for his services in recruiting.

I think it is very legitimate to say that not only Jordan Wynn but potentially a number of other QB's looked at the total situation in Boulder, losing team, stubborn coach with his kid getting first shot at the position, lack of playmakers at WR, etc. and despite an interest in playing in the Big XII and the positives of Boulder and CU saying thanks but no thanks.

No question that the Hawkins' effect has had a large negative impact over our QB recruiting, but in truth who was the last "highly recruited" QB we have had at CU?

I'm serious, I didn't really start to follow recruiting closely until the last 8 or so years.

Was Koy Detmer or Kordell Stewart?

I know most of the QB's we have had this decade have been "sleepers", so I don't really see this as being a really big "Hawkins" problem, other than the issue with his son playing here.

No question that the Hawkins' effect has had a large negative impact over our QB recruiting, but in truth who was the last "highly recruited" QB we have had at CU?

I'm serious, I didn't really start to follow recruiting closely until the last 8 or so years.

I know most of the QB's we have had this decade have been "sleepers", so I don't really see this as being a really big "Hawkins" problem, other than the issue with his son playing here.

Craig Ochs...

Kordell was a highly sought after recruit.

You guys seem to forget that Wynn de-committed after Evans committed and that evans looked like the better get of the two during that cycle.

Back