1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Josh Ford

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by rodrigo, Apr 10, 2011.

1. rodrigo

rodrigo Well-Known Member

I wasn't there so have no insight into Ford's Spring Game performance, but I'm curious what folks think: Is he for real and is this a great second-chance story? Or were his stats a result of the format (i.e. controlled environment, did they come against the #2 d)?

2. Daaah

Daaah Club Member Club Member

Is he another really small guy?

3. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King

no he is our power back... he had a long run in the second half of the scrimage for a TD and looked pretty impressive... tony jones just wowed... he broke a bunch of tackles... speedy seemed to be dancing again...

4. Daaah

what about our fullbacks?

5. Rraalph 3000

Rraalph 3000 Well-Known Member

195 lbs, so biggest of our backs, but doubtful he sees the field this year.....Speedy & a VERY impressive Tony Jones ahead of him, and don't forget that B-Lock character as well

Probably a solid contributor in the future and could make a name as a short yardage back if need be

6. DesertDawg526

DesertDawg526 Resident Dawg Club Member

Ford looks like a legit D-1 back to me.

So does #26 and Speedy though...

CU is still missing a power back, but there appears to be reasonable depth at the tailback spot right now...

7. rodrigo

rodrigo Well-Known Member

What jumped out to me: take away that long run and he still had a better ypc than the rest...

8. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

I think Ford can be a contributor in the future, but he might be the odd guy out this season. He was impressive, but then I thought all the RBs had their moments. Personally, I thought Tony Jones looked even better than expected. I think he is going to see the field a lot this season.

9. zbuff

zbuff Club Member Club Member

I hope this is true, but I was really happy to see the guy perform so well - we have a solid backup in case of injury.

10. SJBuff

SJBuff Club Member Club Member

I liked Ford the best of all the RBs. He's still a work in progress as far as pass protection etc. but he ran harder and more aggressively than all the others IMHO. He's a mean runner and that's what a power running game needs in order to exert it's will on an opposing team. I think by mid season he will be getting a fair amount of carries, more if either speedy or jones goes down.

11. Rraalph 3000

Rraalph 3000 Well-Known Member

Think the most exciting thing about all of the RB's was there was not 1 time when a guy danced around, or did a stutter step in the back ground....something Speedy would often do in the past

Everything was always full speed forward with some patience to hit that hole beforehand, but no dancing to lose that momentum.....good to see some quality coaching

12. Daaah

Was speedy dancing?

13. SJBuff

SJBuff Club Member Club Member

I saw one or two plays where he did a little of it but it was after passing the LOS. All of the RB's seemed much more decisive in their cuts and hit the holes much harder than we have seen in many years (basically since the last time EB coached at CU).

14. zbuff

Speedy likes the spin move as soon as there is contact... I thought Jones looked the best of the three - he ran through some tackles. Ford looked good, too, but wasn't playing against the 1s, who weren't at full strength anyway. I agree with BnGs thread - this team still has an uphill battle. It was good to the the 1s at least executing on offense, though.

15. bigbang

bigbang Member

I don't recall seeing Cordary Allen on the field all game. I feel sorry for him, won't suprise me if he chooses to transfer. Because his chance of playing time is not looking good, with Speedy, Lockridge, Jones, Ford ahead of him, and probably Rashad Hall and Malcom Creer.

16. zbuff

I'm sure I saw Cordary Allen in with at least one carry for no essentially no gain - might've been the last minute or so of action.

17. buffaholic

buffaholic Club Member Club Member

actually, Ford was playing against some of the ones for one series. It didn't matter. He runs with power and burst. He may not be a 4.4 40 guy, but he shows the type of explosion you need. He is also very decisive.

I watched several practices and the last scrimmage, leading up to the spring game. I'm certain he is in the mix for PT in the fall and is pushing both Speedy and Tony Jones. It will be a long summer and there's a lot of football to be played in the fall, including a brutal 13 game schedule.

My opinion is Ford is squarely in the mix for PT and will be on scholarship soon enough. Cordary will be moving to defense soon enough as well. He just doesn't have the feet to be a RB.

18. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

Is Allen a candidate to move to fullback? And, no, that wasn't a previous-era jab. Real question.

19. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

I'm a fan of this.

Also, if Harrington and Ahles are neck and neck at FB, might as well move Ahles back to LB imo. He was decent there and getting better and our depth is baaaaad. He would make a bigger contribution there

20. aik

aik Club Member Club Member

+1

Get Ahles to spell Major, give Allen the year to learn FB and add some bulk or if there are other alternatives on the offense consider safety/ILB.