1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Josh Scott's NBA Prospects (Broken off from Recruiting Board)

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by Medford M., Feb 1, 2016.

1. Medford M.

Medford M. Well-Known Member

These mocks are really off after the first several picks the last several years. One reason is scouts are starting to target guys who can produce from day one, which is why the last couple drafts have seen a lot of juniors and seniors get picked up in the draft who, in many cases weren't even included in the mocks.

I'm confident someone is going to draft Josh. I wouldn't be shocked if it was a team already contending.

2. cu62nu36

cu62nu36 Club Member Club Member

You may be right. Some NBA analysts put him in the high 30's for Seniors. i.e. 39th best Sr. eligble for the draft.
    Assuming there are aprox. 30 or so underclassmen/foreigns this puts him in the conversation.

3. FLounder

FLounder The Buffs will rise again! Club Member

39th best senior? Are you ****ing kidding me? He's a top-20 player in nation! Some guys

4. Goose

Goose Hoops Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Limited athleticism, low ceiling. Most NBA guys prefer second round picks that they can stash and have high potential. Low cost/high return. Josh's best hope is for a team like the Spurs to take a look at him.

SBG and patebuff like this.
  5. onealcd

onealcd Club Member Club Member

Every players best hope is for the Spurs to take a look at them lol.

Clean Undies, aik and Tractor like this.
  6. Goose

Goose Hoops Moderator Club Member Junta Member

This is very true.

7. cu62nu36

Goose likes this.
  8. BuffNative

BuffNative Club Member Club Member

I think Josh Scott's skillset compares very similarly to Nick Collison. Both four year college players with limited athleticism but great work ethic and leadership. Here are their senior year stats:

Nick Collison was drafted 12th overall. Nick Collison did get a lot more national recognition, playing for Kansas in a national championship game will do that. The basketball landscape was also very different 10+ years ago. I'm not saying Josh Scott is lottery, or even first round level talent. However, if you thought that he could have a similar career arc as Nick Collison he would be worthy of a second rounder. It only takes one team.

aik, torerobuff and Buffnik like this.
  9. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

One thing is certain. Tad will give as glowing a review to NBA folks as a HC can about a player. That matters a lot when investing millions in an employee.

10. onealcd

onealcd Club Member Club Member

I think a lot of opposing coaches will too.

11. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

Nik is right, it only takes one team.

Some teams will be completely turned off to Josh because of his limited athleticism. He doesn't jump well, isn't overly strong against power players, and his history of back problems won't help.

The balance to that will be teams looking at the Spurs and Warriors. Teams that base their offense on guards and wings who are versatile and keep the ball moving. They don't rely on their bigs to dominate offensively but they want bigs who can contribute in a variety of ways, make teams pay for overplaying the outside guys.

Josh has increased his value a lot this year by both showing the inside skills he has always had but also by being more effective shooting and passing from outside. It drives us nuts when Tad puts Josh high but NBA coaches see a guy who can empty the lane making room for the penetrators.

His maturity and level demeanor could work to his advantage with teams that have a lot of immature players or those that see themselves as being on the margin of being championship contenders and want someone who will contribute without being a negative in the locker room or on the plane.

12. J.R. Ewing

J.R. Ewing Club Member Club Member

I think Scott compares pretty favorably to Michael Ruffin, another Colorado kid who managed to eek out an 8 year career in the NBA.

13. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

Last guy on the bench still makes way more money than I do.

14. cu62nu36

This. He couldn't really post up Cal's bigs in both games. He was much more effective facing the hoop and getting the ball at the elbow. He'll need to do this against AZ for sure. This may be his ticket into the NBA.

15. dyemeduke

dyemeduke Well-Known Member

Nice comparison - I like it. However, I do think Collison was a superior athlete, and deserving of a 1st round pick, albeit maybe not 12.

I don't recall Ruffin really clearly, but wasn't he sort of a crazy athlete that jumped everywhere for rebounds? Maybe like a Faried with a lower vertical? Or perhaps, Ruffin would compare more with a Andre Roberson with less lateral quickness?

Either way, I hope Scott gets drafted, but I don't see anything better than a second rounder. Still a great career, but slim chance of sticking on an NBA roster. However, I never thought Copeland would stick in the NBA like he did either.