1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JUCO & Futures Recruiting - Current Staff's Grade

Discussion in 'University of Colorado Recruiting Archive' started by Undefeated, Dec 12, 2014.

1. Undefeated

Undefeated Banned BANNED

Question for some of the more seasoned recruiting watchers: Were the previous 2 coaching staffs this active with JUCO and future offers ('16 & '17)?

2. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

Definitely not on JUCO - neither staff did a lot with them, although both staffs recruited JUCO guys.

Future offers, I don't remember too much from Hawk's years, but Embree wasn't here all that long. He did go 1 year in advance. Unfortunately, by then no one thought he had a chance.

3. Undefeated

Undefeated Banned BANNED

Would you agree that a solid influx of JUCO players is key to a big rebuild like CU?

Darth Snow likes this.
  4. Darth Snow

No. A factor? Yes, but not a key. However, judicious JUCO recruiting can hasten the process, and should always be used to fill holes in the depth chart that appear through attrition or missed recruiting targets.

5. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Pruned this from a recruit's profile thread (who was neither a JUCO nor a future year recruit). Good discussion topic, so please carry on.

6. Undefeated

Undefeated Banned BANNED

Thank you. I was actually looking for a way to delete the original post once I realized it cluttered up that kid's page.

7. TDbuff

TDbuff Club Member Club Member

As far as Juco's, the new juco requirements that have standardized what kids need to take in juco has helped CU a lot I would imagine.

8. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

This staff is not that active in future recruiting compared to peers.

9. CUFan

CUFan Welcome back Club Member

I like bringing in JUCOs to see if we can get an upgrade in talent that can play right away. However, I also assume many of them may never see the field or be the impact players we hope. Just for example's sake, if we were to sign 5 JUCOs, in my own mind I would assume 2-3 of them won't turn out to be that good. It often seems like a real crap shoot when it comes to the JUCOs.

10. Buffnik

Yes. But it's still a challenge. Different schools have different academic standards and CU can be tough. Where MacIntyre has done a great job is by focusing on guys who were full qualifiers out of high school and then experienced a rapid physical development at junior college. Guys like Spoon, for example. Too often with JUCOs, even when they've graduated, we see admissions problems that cause the player to need extra credits before he can enroll. iirc, Sully Wiefels didn't arrive until the end of the summer last year and Jackson couldn't get the credits he needed to play in 2014 (enrolling next month, finally). Looks like our coaches have learned from that and we're seeing full qualifier types who can transfer mid-year and participate in winter conditioning/spring ball. Much better.

11. Undefeated

Undefeated Banned BANNED

This is the first year I've really paid close attention to the recruiting efforts but that surprises me. When I see them offering 3 sophomores from Mullen in one day, along with a bevy of others in the '17 threads, it makes me think they are really trying to establish a strong, early presence.

12. Buffnik

Relatively speaking, it's light. This staff is very deliberate with its offers. Lee's little bro (2016 class) is a good example. Dymond had offers from schools who hadn't seen him play a down as a junior and it was unclear whether the future would be at WR or as a run-first QB. CU, despite the closer relationship, waited a bit before offering.

13. patebuff

patebuff Downgraded to half a star Club Member

Perfect example for this year. We had huge depth issues on the dline and every single JUCO they are bringing in projects to be on the dline. To piggy back off what Nik mentioned, I think you see this staff use the full qualifiers from here on out. It's a good strategy to use going forward and makes sense to me.

14. patebuff

patebuff Downgraded to half a star Club Member

I think you will see early offer's on the high profile recruits and then the staff probably waits for camps or extra film on others.

15. Buffnik

For "futures", all I really want to see in terms of offers with more than 12 months on the clock are for blue chips and the cream of the in-state guys (with few exceptions).

16. bigskybuff

bigskybuff Club Member Club Member

Havent read the rest of the thread but I think a big part of the uptick on Jucos is the new NCAA rules put in place this year. Finally levels the playing field a little though we don't have the underwater basket weaving majors some "schools" can offer.

17. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

Embree said himself he didn't like recruiting JUCO's because they messed with the team culture. And by the time they finally figured it out on the field, their eligibility was already up

18. SD Buff

SD Buff Club Member Club Member

This year's JUCOs were all full qualifiers. New JUCO standards aren't in effect til 2016 IIRC. Maybe 2015, but not this year

From phone

19. GoonieBuff

GoonieBuff Not really Club Member

Does it feel good to have someone value your opinion?

20. FLounder

FLounder The Buffs will rise again! Club Member

People value snows opinion? I thought they tossed money at him to shut up and berate their ex-spouse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. Darth Snow

Nectar of the gods man!