What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

JUCO QB

If we don't have a backup plan then I would hope/choose to believe that they saw enough in Montez's game this spring to trust him as a backup (or starter if Sefo can't go). It's a more logical assumption than negligence.

I'm not so worried about 2016. I'm worried about there being no viable competition or QB2 in 2017 unless someone is brought in. I don't want to go into 2017 putting everything on Montez being the man and then hoping he's healthy for every snap of every game.

I'm not so worried about 2016. I'm worried about there being no viable competition or QB2 in 2017 unless someone is brought in. I don't want to go into 2017 putting everything on Montez being the man and then hoping he's healthy for every snap of every game.
I'm confident we'll go after a 2017 JUCO QB, or at least we have that option so I'm not worried about our 2017 QB situation. Sure I think Mitch would help that out, but I'm more concerned about bringing in a Grad transfer if Montez isn't ready and Gerhke is actually our backup to Sefo, but if we don't bring one in I can only hope it means we are confident in Montez as a backup right now, I think if it's really about having someone to compete in 2017 then waiting for a 2017 JUCO or 2017 Grad transfer is a plenty reasonable option.

If you can't see the difference between where the team was under Embree and now Coach Mac... Well, I am sure glad you are not Rick George!

Okay you are right, I see Coach Mac winning 4 games instead of 2. But still no bowl games. BTW I understand why Embree had to be fired. It is about results. But let us apply the same standards to Coach Mac. It is bowl game or bust this season.

Last edited:
Okay you are right, I see Coach Mac winning 4 games instead of 2. But still no bowl games. BTW I understand why Embree had to be fired. It is about results. But let us apply the same standards to Coach Mac. It is bowl game or bust this season.

This team has built more depth, and experience. This is the year I see them turning the corner. Belief will be the driver behind that, and I believe you will see that translate into wins. 7-8 this season.

This team has built more depth, and experience. This is the year I see them turning the corner. Belief will be the driver behind that, and I believe you will see that translate into wins. 7-8 this season.
I hope you are right.

But the negative Nancy in me sees that tough schedule and a starting QB ?

i have serious doubts.

This team has inadequate depth at a few key positions. Just not as bad as we are used to.

If Sefo, Tupou, Cedric, any LB or CB goes down, it gets interesting.

Last edited:
Thus team has inadequatendepth data few key positions.

If Sefo, Tupou, Cedric, any LB or CB goes down, it gets interesting.

what-did-you-say.gif

I think it's obvious that we've made strides.
Under Embree (and others) we had no chance.

Over the last 2-3 years we've lost SEVERAL games by 2-5 points that were in our reach.
Those games make a HUGE difference in overall record.

We're one to two playmakers away from being where we need to be.

If we had made a bowl game last year or the year before everybody here would say he was doing just fine.

Over the last 2-3 years we've lost SEVERAL games by 2-5 points that were in our reach.

If we had made a bowl game last year or the year before everybody here would say he was doing just fine.

We've had no players drafted the past 2 years. If he had made a bowl game, I would have called him a miracle worker.

Just wait until Sam Noyer comes in for an injured Montez and sets every conceivable Pac12 passing record in 2017.

Thats been the problem; no difference makers on the team. Hawkins and Embree and MacIntyre made some bad choices.
I don't see one on the field now...except maybe Chido and Shay has the potential...possibly. To me, that's about it.

Thanks, John Madden.

I don't see one on the field now...except maybe Chido and Shay has the potential...possibly. To me, that's about it.
There are a lot of IFs out there for 2016, but Shay, Winfree, Chido, Thompson, Oliver, Gillam, Tupou, and potentially Drew Lewis could all be difference makers. You throw in the potential for Huntley, Julmisse and Bisharat and I think 2016 is MM's most talented team.

There are a lot of IFs out there for 2016, but Shay, Winfree, Chido, Thompson, Oliver, Gillam, Tupou, and potentially Drew Lewis could all be difference makers. You throw in the potential for Huntley, Julmisse and Bisharat and I think 2016 is MM's most talented team.
Difference makers or PAC-12 level talent? Let's start crawling before we sprint.

Difference makers or PAC-12 level talent? Let's start crawling before we sprint.
I think Chido, TT and Tupou are absolutely difference makers and IF Gillam stays healthy, I believe he is one as well. Winfree is an unknown and I think Shay is bordering on being a special player. Maybe I got a little over zealous with Lewis and Oliver, as they are both largely unproven, but I do believe Oliver can be a shut down corner at this level, which would put him on that list. Like I said, a lot of IFs.

I think Chido, TT and Tupou are absolutely difference makers and IF Gillam stays healthy, I believe he is one as well. Winfree is an unknown and I think Shay is bordering on being a special player. Maybe I got a little over zealous with Lewis and Oliver, as they are both largely unproven, but I do believe Oliver can be a shut down corner at this level, which would put him on that list. Like I said, a lot of IFs.
Certainly players to be excited about, but outside of Chido, I wouldn't bet serious money on any of them making first or second team all PAC-12. Like you mentioned, a lot of IFs.

Certainly players to be excited about, but outside of Chido, I wouldn't bet serious money on any of them making first or second team all PAC-12. Like you mentioned, a lot of IFs.
Just because they aren't top 1 or 2 players at their position in the Pac, doesn't mean they aren't difference makers. I would say being in the top 5-10, depending on the position, warrants that consideration.

Winfree was the #3 receiver on his Juco team, so not likely to be top two in the PAC12. Might we have too high of an expectation here?

Winfree was the #3 receiver on his Juco team, so not likely to be top two in the PAC12. Might we have too high of an expectation here?
I understand that Winfree was the #3 WR at Coffeyville, in terms of season statistics, but their #1 WR, Alfonso Onunwor, had one D1 offer and ended up signing with Idaho. Their #2 option, Cedrick Wilson, signed with Boise State, and neither of them were as highly rated by the recruiting services.

I'm not saying that Winfree is going to be Paul Richardson, but downplaying Winfree based on his statistics relative to the other two guys he played with is like saying Spruce was the most talented WR in the Pac 12 the last 2 years.

I understand that Winfree was the #3 WR at Coffeyville, in terms of season statistics, but their #1 WR, Alfonso Onunwor, had one D1 offer and ended up signing with Idaho. Their #2 option, Cedrick Wilson, signed with Boise State, and neither of them were as highly rated by the recruiting services.

I'm not saying that Winfree is going to be Paul Richardson, but downplaying Winfree based on his statistics relative to the other two guys he played with is like saying Spruce was the most talented WR in the Pac 12 the last 2 years.
Somewhat can acknowledge your point but Juwann's offer list was not close to his rating. Juco ratings Are famously questionable. Most on here act like he's got a chance to be all-conference and his numbers at Juco and offer list are not indicative of that.

Somewhat can acknowledge your point but Juwann's offer list was not close to his rating. Juco ratings Are famously questionable. Most on here act like he's got a chance to be all-conference and his numbers at Juco and offer list are not indicative of that.

How about being on the all-conference freshman team at Maryland? I'd say that's indicative of his ability at this level.

How about being on the all-conference freshman team at Maryland? I'd say that's indicative of his ability at this level.
That's promising but I'm still surprised he wasn't recruited more vigorously. I'm hoping it's our gain, but I'm not yet ready to color the WR position as solid.

Back