What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

JUCOs this class

Duff Man

Club Member
Club Member
Junta Member
We never take many JUCOs, but what positions do you feel would benefit from JUCO help in the 2010 class?

I think getting one TE and one LB would be appropriate. We lose several TEs after this season and Deehan would be the only experienced guy going into the 2010 season. As far as LB, we also lose several guys there after this season and then Beatty/Sipili after the 2010 season. I know we have an offer out to Earls out of North Dakota, hope we can land him. Thoughts?

Completely agree on positions, I'm just not big on JUCOs. I could live with a JUCO, but I'd rather pull in freshmen even at these positions.

At LB, you're right about Derek Earls. His vids are impressive and the Hartigan-Ahles class he'd be in hasn't shown much so far.

At TE, we should have Walters as a senior and Deehan as a junior with Thornton as a RS-Freshman. With the move to more 2 TE sets in our base offense, this looks a bit thin even with 1 (Slavin) or more true freshmen coming in. The only JUCO TE that I've seen us having any interest in is Anthony Vidal from Costa Mesa CC. But he's probably a backup plan since we haven't offered yet.

Last edited:
I'm not a big fan of JUCOs either, but I don't mind seeing 1-2 a year at need positions. The last couple years, we have taken Mohler and Simmons. Mohler was able to make an impact and Simmons should as well, provided he gets in.

One thing I wonder about Earls is whether he actually would be able to graduate in December and be here for Spring ball. We all know we face an uphill battle sometimes with guys having to take more credits to get admitted than they would have to take elsewhere.

I'm not a big fan of JUCOs either, but I don't mind seeing 1-2 a year at need positions. The last couple years, we have taken Mohler and Simmons. Mohler was able to make an impact and Simmons should as well, provided he gets in.

One thing I wonder about Earls is whether he actually would be able to graduate in December and be here for Spring ball. We all know we face an uphill battle sometimes with guys having to take more credits to get admitted than they would have to take elsewhere.

TE would be a spot, lb not so much. I think the buffs depth there doesn't warrant a juco.

The obvious choice is at DT or DE.

I'd kind of like to see how this year's class works out at D-Line and WR as they could be needs (although Clemons and a possible return of Celestine would help the latter).

TE - looks real thin as mentioned.
LB - I think there's more depth here than we know because the upper-class is so strong there's no snaps for Ahles/Hartigan. Have heard the Boulder walk-on has impressed also (Gouin). And maybe Spond will take over soon enough?

My contribution would be punter. Not sure the Grossnickle will develop as a true punter and it's been bad imo the last few years. If the new kid is more of a kicker than a punter, we will need a punter NEXT year.

I'd kind of like to see how this year's class works out at D-Line and WR as they could be needs (although Clemons and a possible return of Celestine would help the latter).

TE - looks real thin as mentioned.
LB - I think there's more depth here than we know because the upper-class is so strong there's no snaps for Ahles/Hartigan. Have heard the Boulder walk-on has impressed also (Gouin). And maybe Spond will take over soon enough?

My contribution would be punter. Not sure the Grossnickle will develop as a true punter and it's been bad imo the last few years. If the new kid is more of a kicker than a punter, we will need a punter NEXT year.

We've got D. Scott for another 3 seasons. He'll likely scare away any real talent for at least two of those.

I thought Jameson Davis was going to switch to Punter because after getting his knee scoped out he's better off not torquing/twisting at the knee when he kicks... better suited now to kickoffs and punts. Anyone else hear this?

Why don't we take chances on JUCO o-line men? Are there just a boatload of talented highschool lineman out there? Or...is our recruitor of the O-line just awesome....could Chuck Norris possibily be recruiting for CU? Okay...that might me a stretch...On the other hand...

Why don't we take chances on JUCO o-line men? Are there just a boatload of talented highschool lineman out there? Or...is our recruitor of the O-line just awesome....could Chuck Norris possibily be recruiting for CU? Okay...that might me a stretch...On the other hand...

Um... we have 7 scholarship o-linemen that are going to be juniors next year plus 1 walk-on in that class. Last thing we need is to sign JUCO o-linemen.

Sure could have used them in '06 through '08 classes, though.

He's a true punter/kicker combo guy. He led the state in punting, KOs and FGs stats.

Yeah, I'm a homer, but watch the first couple punts on his senior highlight reel. Heck, just watch the first punt.

Considering he only decided to punt the summer before his senior year, yet led Colorado's stats that season, he came far in a really short time and nobody knows the ceiling on what he can do. I would expect that Hawkins brought him on as a punter as much as a kicker, knowing that DiLallo was a senior. The fact that he could kick (he set a FG record of 60+ yards) may have just been a bonus.

But see for yourself:
[video=youtube;dYvJHLv39qY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYvJHLv39qY[/video]

I thought Jameson Davis was going to switch to Punter because after getting his knee scoped out he's better off not torquing/twisting at the knee when he kicks... better suited now to kickoffs and punts. Anyone else hear this?

Haven't heard anything, except in Ringo's most recent chat, someone asked about Jameson and he's going to start practicing with the team in August. No info about changing to punts, etc. But he'd have to beat out DiLallo unless you are talking about him switching after this season, when DiLallo graduates.

That dude is gonna be a weapon for us. I dont know if his leg is as strong as Crosby's but it sounds like it coming off his foot.

Since the offensive scheme is changing back to a down-hill running style, they might want to JC fullback. Only one one the roster is Behrens, and he's a senior.

I think we've maxed out our quota of scholarship K's and P's - no more please.

Save that sentiment for after this season. If we have another year last last year for both kicking & punting, we may want to clean house.

Back