What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Just a quick question....

Duff Man

Club Member
Club Member
Junta Member
Is it too much to ask for Hawkins to play field position just a little bit? Stop going on so many fourth downs!

Yea, that decision to go for just before the half was a bad one.

yep. i dont understand that call at all. :huh:

overall though, the buffs are running the ball well. the passing game not so much. if the running game keeps up, i expect that the passing will improve.

suprised at how well kjuco has been able to move vs the CU D.

Is it too much to ask for Hawkins to play field position just a little bit? Stop going on so many fourth downs!

If you are going to go for it before the half, at least throw the ball down the field.. Little Hawk's pass for a two yard out was just stupid.. Throw the ball down the field..

I didn't have a problem with going for it in the 3rd quarter at the 42.. I probably would have run a different play though.. Doesn't seem like the Buffs are good enough up front to get 4 and 1 plays on running plays..

Those situations are gonna be tough all season long with two true frosh on the O-line, they have been very solid, but they're just not consistent enough right now, they'll get better every game though. I can't wait for our o-line next year, gonna destroy people!

Yea, that decision to go for just before the half was a bad one.

I don't agree. Hawk plays to win and not, not to lose. He'll tell that to anyone who will listen. I don't necessarily agree with the play call, but I like that he was trying to get 3 points before halftime and was only 10-15 yards away from being in position to get them. The decision wouldn't have even cost us at all, except that the Kitty PK nailed a 51yd kick. There was risk to going for it in that situation, but I think the reward outweighed the risk.

My pet peeve is people that complain about going for it, after they see a bad result. If someone is against it before the play, then fine, but I hate those freakin ex-coaches who wait to see the result and then babble on and on about how stupid it was. There is a reason why you are in the booth and not on the field...

My pet peeve is people that complain about going for it, after they see a bad result. If someone is against it before the play, then fine, but I hate those freakin ex-coaches who wait to see the result and then babble on and on about how stupid it was. There is a reason why you are in the booth and not on the field...

Right ****ing on. I was all for going for it at the time. After, I was, like, ****. But then the D should have gotten it done and they didn't. Too bad. The only thing that pissed me off was the play itself. It never had a chance. I just hate it when we go for plays like that and then pull some kind of boner. Thats my only problem with the play.

I don't agree. Hawk plays to win and not, not to lose. He'll tell that to anyone who will listen. I don't necessarily agree with the play call, but I like that he was trying to get 3 points before halftime and was only 10-15 yards away from being in position to get them. The decision wouldn't have even cost us at all, except that the Kitty PK nailed a 51yd kick. There was risk to going for it in that situation, but I think the reward outweighed the risk.

Disagree. When you factor in the wind, not even close on the risk-reward scale.

Just guesses. 33% of converting 4th and 7. Then you have first and 10 at the 40 into the wind. You still have to gain another 15 yards in 20 seconds to kick a FG. Let's say the odds of doing that with still time left on the clock is 33%. Then you have to make a 45 yard FG into the wind. Let's say that is 50%. Combine the risks, and we have about a 5% chance of getting 3 points there. 3 points! Not a high reward.

Risk: 67% chance you turn the ball over to the kitties on your fifty and they have the wind. Or throw a Pick 6.

Factoring in the wind, it was like going for a 4th and 7 on our own 35 or 40. It was a very stupid call. No other way to slice it.

That's my .02 cents and I'm moving on. Go Buffs! Go Hawk!

It seems like offensive-minded coaches like Hawk tend to take these types of chances more. Defense-oriented guys, like Lubick for example, never think that way, they're too worried about putting their D in a tough spot. Davies, a former DC, was pretty outspoken about the decisions last night.

I think there's a happy medium and Hawk tends to be outside of it. It would seem to me all things being equal you take those shots at home and play more conservative on the road. In Hawk's case, that's just who he is.

Just doesn't seem like a good call to go for it when you get the ball first in the second half. If it was 4th and 2? Maybe. But 4th and 6? No way.

Field position is huge in close games. Too many times Hawk seems to cede that to other team. I don't have a problem being aggressive (liked going for it in the third quarter), but there's a fine line between aggressiveness and recklessness.

Disagree. When you factor in the wind, not even close on the risk-reward scale.

Just guesses. 33% of converting 4th and 7. Then you have first and 10 at the 40 into the wind. You still have to gain another 15 yards in 20 seconds to kick a FG. Let's say the odds of doing that with still time left on the clock is 33%. Then you have to make a 45 yard FG into the wind. Let's say that is 50%. Combine the risks, and we have about a 5% chance of getting 3 points there. 3 points! Not a high reward.

Risk: 67% chance you turn the ball over to the kitties on your fifty and they have the wind. Or throw a Pick 6.

Factoring in the wind, it was like going for a 4th and 7 on our own 35 or 40. It was a very stupid call. No other way to slice it.

That's my .02 cents and I'm moving on. Go Buffs! Go Hawk!

agree. neil woelk addresses this in his article today....

Plenty of folks this morning will be griping about Dan Hawkins' penchant for gambling on fourth down. It flouts conventional wisdom, and it certainly didn't pay off against the Wildcats.

But here's a word of advice: get used to it. That's who Dan Hawkins is. When he hits, folks are going to love his rambling, gambling style.

When he misses, it's going to produce some heat.

Funny thing, though. A couple of weeks ago, nobody was griping when Hawkins went for it on fourth down against Oklahoma and it worked twice. Once it resulted in a touchdown, and once it produced a big pass play over the middle in the fourth quarter to Patrick Williams.

And, of course, there's that fourth-down play late in the game against Colorado State that kept the game-tying drive alive.

No complaints then.

So, get used to it. That's who Dan Hawkins is. It's not going to change. He'll make the call, he'll take the heat if it doesn't work and he'll simply keep plugging away.

i dont have any problem with his gambling nature. thats cool. i understand all of the cases that neil points to here and i agreed with all of hawks calls, win or lose, up to yesterday.

ah, its not a big deal. it didnt make the difference in the game. still think it was a poor decision at that point in the game.

no worries though. im still very happy about where this team is going. lots of cleaning up and work needs to be done after yesterdays game but, these kids and staff will get it done!!! :thumbsup: :gobuffs:

two botched 4th down attempts cost us 10 points. you don't play for the green on the tee off. at least not in the first half when we are still in the game. KU seemed more wide open in their offensive play calling than us. i think we sucked in that category. and why did Cody play every down? He sucked and should have been yanked or at least let the other QB get some snaps at the end when we were down a hundred points.

Just doesn't seem like a good call to go for it when you get the ball first in the second half. If it was 4th and 2? Maybe. But 4th and 6? No way.

Field position is huge in close games. Too many times Hawk seems to cede that to other team. I don't have a problem being aggressive (liked going for it in the third quarter), but there's a fine line between aggressiveness and recklessness.

I think he's sending a message to his team and to future recruits; we play agressively and we play to win. The only call i had a problem with was the one before the 2nd half where it cost us points and we were still in the game. I think he wanted some points going into the locker room to boost the team going into the 2nd half. It backfired. Oh well.

If he feels that he was wrong or that he made a mistake Im glad hes learning it this year rather than when we are 7-0.

funny stuff, marshall's coach is getting a lot of heat for playing too conservative at the end of the half, either situation if it works out he makes a great call, if it doesn't, he's an idiot. hindsight is 20/20.

i like being aggressive and showing faith in young players, that'll help with confidence down the road.

Last edited:
I like risks and it's definitely work in our recent past, however, for a conference Big XII opponent on the road you should play just a little conservatively, if not more so. With 30 seconds left and 2 timeouts, not to mention how the clock stops on first downs in CFB, I didn't like that particular call based on our field position. Our D was struggling last night so we should have given them a chance for a stop. KSU was just a faster, more physical team last night. We put them inside their 10 or 15 and they might have just kneeled it to go into the half. I doubt it, but they could have.

I do like how much faith Hawk has in his players. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. The team is still young and will only improve.

two botched 4th down attempts cost us 10 points. you don't play for the green on the tee off. at least not in the first half when we are still in the game. KU seemed more wide open in their offensive play calling than us. i think we sucked in that category. and why did Cody play every down? He sucked and should have been yanked or at least let the other QB get some snaps at the end when we were down a hundred points.

Actually, how many times do you see Tiger and others go for the green on a drivable par4. The answer is often. You always have to weigh risk vs reward. I had no problem with Hawk's decison last night. If we didn't make it, KSU had only 20+ seconds to do anything with it. If dude doesn't make a 51 yarder (clearly outside his normal range) then it doesn't hurt us at all. Props to him. He made the 51 yard bomb. Like many have said, it didn't cost us the game anyway. Hawk is who he is. Don't expect him to change.

Back