1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just for some positive perspective.

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by BuffTE41, Feb 23, 2014.

1. BuffTE41

BuffTE41 Member

On this date in 2012 Stanford whooped us at home about as badly as Arizona did last night. Like this year, we ended our schedule on a road trip. We lost a tough one to Oregon and got killed by OSU. We sat in the standings about where we do now.

Heading in to the Pac-12 tournament things looked bleak. The first game in that tournament with Utah was UGLY. I distinctly remember a poster on one of the boards saying "both teams suck, send them home and get ready for the NIT." It was hard to disagree.

Then, something happened. Almost overnight, the team clicked and the freshman played in sync with Carlon, Dufault and the older players. We rattled off four straight victories, secured the automatic bid, and upset UNLV in the NCAA tournament. (a loaded team who won 26 games that year, one being a victory over #1 UNC.)

My point in all of this is that we have seen Boyle put it together in March before when the Buffs came out of nowhere. While I'm aware there are MAJOR differences between the Pac-12 and from that year to this, I suspect this team has some of that fight in them and will surprise us in a positive way in the following weeks. Stay tuned.

2. rosstr

rosstr Well-Known Member

With being down 3 of our top 7 players (Gordon still isn't the same), having this team sit at 9-6 is a a remarkable feat. Even being as young as we are. All we need is 1 of the next 3 and it's an incredibly successful year.

We return everyone for 2015. I think Spencer stays.

3. cnbuff410

cnbuff410 Club Member Club Member

Anyone knows if Fletcher can be back for California trip next week? He could definitely help on D

4. Clean Undies

Clean Undies Flagship of the 12-Pac Club Member

I sure hope you are right. That 12-13 team had a very different team chemistry than this team. We sure can use the fire of Default and someone who elevated to meet the occasion, like Carlon Brown. I hope that this team clicks like that one did.

5. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

I hope we play more defense on this road swing than we did up in Oregon that year to end the regular season

6. rolandftw

rolandftw Club Member Club Member

It could end up being a positive thing, although it's hard to see anything positive out of it now

7. BuffTE41

BuffTE41 Member

The theme of the season...

8. Clean Undies

I have no doubt that this experience will not be forgotten. These players will learn from last night.
    Last season the Jayhawks destroyed the Buffs in Lawrence. Revenge against KU was sweet this season.

The next time CU faces Arizona, there should be a deep burning hunger to right a wrong and to settle a score.

9. CVilleBuff

I'm hoping we take this lesson to heart sooner as well. Like, at Utah. I could still see how this humiliation is turned into a positive in SLC. Tad's teams aren't ones to feel sorry for themselves. Think a week of sitting on this and learning from it can have some benefits.

10. SECOBuffsFan

SECOBuffsFan Active Member

Hopefully the team learned that winning against any team from this point forward will be impossible if they give that kind of defensive performance

11. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

I think it's safe to say we caught lightning in a bottle. That P12 Tourney run with the subsequent win against UNLV is my favorite memory as a Buff, sorry I've only been a Buffs fan since 2004 when I came to CO as a student.

12. Clean Undies

One striking difference between 2011-12 and this year is the strength of the Pac12. To sweep the P12 tournament this year would be quite the accomplishment.

13. CVilleBuff

And UCLA or Stanford, while not very good that year, would have ended our run had we bumped into them. Oregon, Cal and Arizona were favorable matchups that year in regards to style and personnel. Any deep Pac run this year would need the fortune of some other teams doing dirty work for us when it comes to Zona and UCLA, IMO.

14. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

Doesn't it seem more realistic to win the Pac-12 Tourney this year than it would've in 2012? I think if you said before the Pac-12 Tourney in 2012, we're going to win it all, anyone not affliated with the team would've laughed at you.

15. BuffDog

BuffDog Club Member Club Member

Based strictly upon watching him warm up with a knee brace before the game last night he didn't look like he would be available for the final 3 games.

16. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

Daily camera chat said during bay area trip we may see him.

17. Goose

Goose Hoops Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Yeah, that brace is HUGE. I was shocked to see how big it was when he was out there for warmups. But like tante said, everyone said it's possible he plays either this week or in the Bay Area.

18. wyobuff

wyobuff Well-Known Member

We have those 2 ingredients.
    the fire of Default - XJ
    someone who elevated to meet the occasion, like Carlon Brown - Booker.

Now, like the other guys have said, we were the beneficiaries of some early round upsets taking down teams (like UCLA/Stan) that were not good match ups with us. We'd need that again, but this year's pac is even like that years pac (though better).

Utah and OSU have proven they can hang - will they get over the hump in vegas? Who knows.