What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Justin Bannon

Idot Buff

The dude is an animal...doing the Buffs proud as he kicks ass on the Raven D.....

Think of it in these terms: is attempting to rob a bank the same as robbing a bank? Now do murder.
Except one is pre meditated, where as in this case, the other was not.

It should also be noted that the DA was asking for 26 years. The victim asked for the minimum, and wanted him to serve less than the required 16 years

Last edited:
You get 2-6 in Colorado for killing a person with a car.

I guess you get 16 for accidentally shooting one bullet and hitting someone’s shoulder.

16 years for attempted murder is a long long long time
Frankly, I've never understood why attempted murder gets a different sentence than murder (or any other crime - rape, theft, whatever). It's the same thing in terms of the perpetrator's actions, motivations, etc. All that differs is the whims of chance. So there's no difference on the need to punish & segregate the perp from society.

Didn’t he exhibit some pretty serious psychological issues which may be related to CTE?

Is there a reason Carson Lee was brought up in the same thread and post about Justin Bannon’s attempted murder sentencing?
Like both are CU football players, charged with Felony Assaults in Boulder? Both may have concussion issues. Does that help you understand?

Last edited:
Umm, the Russian mafia? Yeah sounds like all his dogs are barking. That or he'd just watched Training Day. As far as whether he should've got that much time, idk man? That's hardly my expertise. I know a guy in Farmington, worked at the same company as me for awhile. Him and his punk ass friends jumped a dude in Farmington one night, they probably thought they just ****ed him up. Well, that guy died the next morning and all of them fled. They caught all of them, charged and convicted them of second degree murder later on. Only one of them did more than 5 or 6 years, he had a drug charge on top of it. Turns out, that's why they jumped that dude in the first place was drugs, he owed one of them money.

I hope that during his incarceration, Justin will get the help he needs. This is a tough one. I think he has extenuating circumstances that I assume the court couldn’t consider. I have to believe his attorneys used that. But then the prosecutor would just write his psyche off as “drug use” which isn’t a defense. And there is no way to prove CTE in a living person.

Frankly, I've never understood why attempted murder gets a different sentence than murder (or any other crime - rape, theft, whatever). It's the same thing in terms of the perpetrator's actions, motivations, etc. All that differs is the whims of chance. So there's no difference on the need to punish & segregate the perp from society.
Is poor aim grounds for a lighter sentence?

https://kdvr.com/news/local/former-broncos-player-gets-16-years-in-prison-for-attempted-murder/

Her is another article-Sounds like Bannon defense was CTE from years of football, but the truth is drug abuse and he has refused to acknowledge drug abuse problems
In far to many cases mental health issues, be they CTE or other mental illnesses and conditions are often accompanied by drug abuse issues.

There is a lot of research out there that shows that ongoing use of various drugs can be directly linked to development or intensifying of certain mental health issues. This doesn't mean that everyone who uses/abuses drugs will develop or exhibit mental health issues but the correlations are there and proven.

At the same time many people with mental illness turn to drugs in an attempt to self-medicate themselves. They may not know something is wrong except they don't feel right and using the drugs allows them to not feel instead of feeling bad.

Which happens first is like the chicken and the egg question but the connection is very common.

Bannon very likely does have CTE, he may have had mental illness even prior to playing football. Playing football put him in environments that allowed access to drugs. The combinations get much more complicated that just stating that X or Y is the problem. This is a big part of why drug treatment programs have such a high failure rate. If you treat the addiction but don't also address the mental health issues then the drug use usually comes back.

If he spends 16 years in prison that means he won't be a threat to people outside the prison for those years but when he is released will he really be changed or less of a threat to society?

Umm, the Russian mafia? Yeah sounds like all his dogs are barking. That or he'd just watched Training Day. As far as whether he should've got that much time, idk man? That's hardly my expertise. I know a guy in Farmington, worked at the same company as me for awhile. Him and his punk ass friends jumped a dude in Farmington one night, they probably thought they just ****ed him up. Well, that guy died the next morning and all of them fled. They caught all of them, charged and convicted them of second degree murder later on. Only one of them did more than 5 or 6 years, he had a drug charge on top of it. Turns out, that's why they jumped that dude in the first place was drugs, he owed one of them money.
The Russians? My god Bannon just heard a Nancy Pelosi press conference!

I don't like that CTE is becoming a "go to" defense for any type of bad behavior or abnormal thoughts.

It's building a narrative we had people on the CU BOR adopt that playing football makes you uncontrollably violent, delusional and suicidal.

I don't like that CTE is becoming a "go to" defense for any type of bad behavior or abnormal thoughts.

It's building a narrative we had people on the CU BOR adopt that playing football makes you uncontrollably violent, delusional and suicidal.
Recently saw a show on Aaron Hernandez. His lead attorney at the end was commenting on how he regrets not using CTE as a part of his defense. He was certain that if he had he would have been able to get a not guilty verdict on the first murder trial and kept Hernandez out of jail.

My though was watching the way he acted that all that would have resulted in was more dead people. He wasn't going to stop being a violent bully until somebody stopped him, probably with a bullet.

His CTE was clearly documented after he died but he was a violent bully from an early age. The CTE may have contributed to his irrational behavior but he seems like the kind who if football never existed would have found outlets to act violently towards others.

Back