What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

KAi Maiava transfers to UCLA? I can't believe it...

Why,because Hawk never makes a bad decision or move? He does and has just like many coaches. Hawk isn't above it her and at 8-17,his record on the field better start equalizing his zen quotes off it.

I said it was just my imagination, didn't I?

Hawk makes bad decisions just like all of us. I've pulled my hair out at some of his game-time decisions same as you.

That said, do you honestly believe that if Hawk had not asked Kai to switch positions that he would still be a Buff? If the answer is yes, then what do you base that on? Probably the same thing my idea is based on.

I still believe that Hawkins is building something special in Boulder. Maybe that skews my perspective on some things and I'm willing to accept that. Regardless, there is no way you or BroncoBuff will convince me that Hawkins would let Kai go if all he needed to do was move him back to OL.

It comes down to this. Hawk screwed up. Kai had some screw-ups. It was probably best for all involved for a fresh start. Buffs fans can choose to dwell on this loss for the next five years, but I am here to tell you this loss is not going to make or break this team. It sucks, but I choose to focus on the players still here.

(Off soapbox)

It comes down to this. Hawk screwed up. Kai had some screw-ups. It was probably best for all involved for a fresh start. Buffs fans can choose to dwell on this loss for the next five years, but I am here to tell you this loss is not going to make or break this team. It sucks, but I choose to focus on the players still here.

(Off soapbox)

It's your fault:smile2:

Yup, and I stand by it ... I'm not one of those "good luck Kai" people. We gave him a chance at D1 in the 11th hour, in the last 72 hours before signing day. And he signed an LOI. Now, one year later, he rides the success that we gave him the opportunity for and transfers to a school that wouldn't give him the time of day last year. To me, that is the definition of a "snake."

No. That's called making sure you take care of yourself first. Nothing wrong with what he did. He didn't like the move to fullback, and there were better offers out there for him to stay on the O-line where he wanted to play, so he took them.

He didn't screw CU out of anything or vice-versa. The both did what was in there own best interests. Unfortunately the interests were not mutual.

Last edited:
can't spin this in any way other than as a shame for CU...

the guy was a mauler. we don't know for sure what all went into the decision to transfer, but i doubt that taking a frosh aa guard and making him a fb and then NOT PLAYING HIM in the spring HELPED the matter.

can't spin this in any way other than as a shame for CU...

the guy was a mauler. we don't know for sure what all went into the decision to transfer, but i doubt that taking a frosh aa guard and making him a fb and then NOT PLAYING HIM in the spring HELPED the matter.

I am sure his inability to get the grades in the classroom didn't help his PLAYING time in the spring either.

I am sure his inability to get the grades in the classroom didn't help his PLAYING time in the spring either.

No kidding. This fact seems very hard for some to grasp. Whether at FB or G, he was behind this spring due to his academics.

Who cares, the hawkamaniacs keep telling me that we have much better ol like bahr,behrens and iltis to take his place.

GO BUFFS!

Who cares, the hawkamaniacs keep telling me that we have much better ol like bahr,behrens and iltis to take his place.

GO BUFFS!

Well, what do you want people to say Syko? That we're going to dwell on this Maiava's transfer for the next five years?

**** happens. It's not the best situation in the world, but you move on. He won't be playing another snap for CU. I'm still excited for this upcoming season.

(Off soapbox)

:nod:

Maybe this was Slick Ricks first NCAA violation at UCLA. Maybe he convinced Kai to transfer before Kai planned on it. Just making stuff up.

Well, what do you want people to say Syko? That we're going to dwell on this Maiava's transfer for the next five years?

**** happens. It's not the best situation in the world, but you move on. He won't be playing another snap for CU. I'm still excited for this upcoming season.

I JUST SAID WHO CARES, we have better OL in behrens,bahr and iltis and one freaking animal in tuioti mariner.I did not tell anyone do dwell on ANYTHING.

We have plenty of good OL,what part of this do you not understand?

I didn't base cu's season on maiava, but why people are so sensitive if anyone questions hawk's moves is laughable. Turn that 8-17 around and their will be less and less questions.

I'm excited for 2008 too GO BUFFS

We all need to have IMO in everything we say in this thread. IMO, we don't know anything. Everytime Kai talked to the media there is another story, so what is the real story? Did Hawk and Kai agree that there were bigger guys as good as him coming up and if he wanted to play in the NFL he would be advised to play FB? Why the grade issues? He had those and those are what prevented him from practicing. If he had practiced, would he have played more?

How did he know he had better offers to play center at other schools? Who made those offers? Who knows if he will start anywhere he goes?

Only time will tell. If he rides the pine wherever he goes, and our guys come in and do great, then it will all be forgotten.

All I know is that Hawk and crew are being second guessed alot around here about this, which I don't mind if people say the 'IMO' thing. Because we are all making judgements based on hearsay and media hearsay. hawk was there, not us, and we will just have to wait a few years to find out if it was a good decision or not.

I JUST SAID WHO CARES, we have better OL in behrens,bahr and iltis and one freaking animal in tuioti mariner.I did not tell anyone do dwell on ANYTHING.

We have plenty of good OL,what part of this do you not understand?

I didn't base cu's season on maiava, but why people are so sensitive if anyone questions hawk's moves is laughable. Turn that 8-17 around and their will be less and less questions.

I'm excited for 2008 too GO BUFFS

Trust me, I have given my fair share of criticism toward Hawkins. I'm actually surprised at how low expectations seem to be around here for 2008. Oh well.

perhaps i will search for the silver lining here...

how about this:

the fact that CU has a guy transfer to another respectable d-1 team is a good sign about the quality of the talent in boulder. i mean, it ain't like he went to sam houston state or something.

i hope you guys are right about the ol we have. the staff seems to agree w/ you or they wouldn't have moved him to fb in the first place. our Buffs should be ok on offense this year. the defense, on the other hand, is a concern.

good luck to maiava. i am sad that it didn't work out for him in boulder. i am bummed that fucla gets a guy who can help them. but, life does, indeed, go on.

At least this loss is at our position of greatest strength (OL, not FB).

Maybe ... just maybe ... Maiava is overrated in that we had VERY few offensive linemen last year, and he cracked the starting lineup because of that shortage. He played very well, but it was clear to Hawk that we had several guys (Iltis, Tuioti-Mariner, Behrens), that were better, so he tried Kai at FB. He made frosh All-Am because he started 10 games ... but maybe he wasn't good enough to keep starting.

Maybe ... just maybe ... Maiava is overrated in that we had VERY few offensive linemen last year, and he cracked the starting lineup because of that shortage. He played very well, but it was clear to Hawk that we had several guys (Iltis, Tuioti-Mariner, Behrens), that were better, so he tried Kai at FB. He made frosh All-Am because he started 10 games ... but maybe he wasn't good enough to keep starting.

Great point as a different perspective, albeit probably not a popular one. Being a Freshman All-American is not always an indicator of future talent. A lot of times the player is the best of the group that HAD to start.

Also, BG Brooks also had a small story in the RMN about Kai transfering today. Couldn't find it online but said Kai looked at Hawaii and SDSU as well. Norm Chow was instrumental.

Here's a thought. How about he starts and plays Fullback for UCLA.

Can't wait for that thread

Sorry... I love Hawk and company, but they **** the bed with this one. Freshmen All-American, and you move him? Now I always say, they know more than we do... but now he is gone, he's gotten better offers as a result from prestigious schools.

Going for it on 4th down, and now this Kai ordeal was a bad call on Hawkin's part...

Agreed. This was a stupid ass moving him to FB.. Imagine if Barnett would have done something like this, we all would have had a cow..And they hardly play a FB in the offense. .. And if Maiava is overrated, than that doesn't say much about the players behind him who he beat out for a job as a freshman.. stupid, stupid, stupid.. I sure hope Hawk and staff know what they are doing..

Agreed. This was a stupid ass moving him to FB.. Imagine if Barnett would have done something like this, we all would have had a cow..And they hardly play a FB in the offense. .. And if Maiava is overrated, than that doesn't say much about the players behind him who he beat out for a job as a freshman.. stupid, stupid, stupid.. I sure hope Hawk and staff know what they are doing..

i wondered when sunshiney mr. flibble would chime in...

Flibble.JPG

BS.....who cares? Get over it.

OMG!!! The sky is falling Kai is gone. 0-12 here we come:lol:. He was a 6 foot tall OL/FB. Who the fu*k cares. Good luck backing up the backup long snapper.

OMG!!! The sky is falling Kai is gone. 0-12 here we come:lol:. He was a 6 foot tall OL/FB. Who the fu*k cares. Good luck backing up the backup long snapper.

I loved that kai came from cu roots. he was one of my favorite buffs to watch last year. rather than getting smarmy on him, i will observe that he needs to do what he feels is best for him.

i will also observe that jimmy is the quintessential doom queen, and if i had to endure a watch party with him, he would need a proctologist for the bottle i would feel compelled to shove where the sun don't shine on him.

I loved watching Kai - However I look at this as a good sign. If last-years Freshman All-American (right?) suddenly can't make the OL... than that bodes well for the talent of the boys we have competing this year.

I loved that kai came from cu roots. he was one of my favorite buffs to watch last year. rather than getting smarmy on him, i will observe that he needs to do what he feels is best for him.

i will also observe that jimmy is the quintessential doom queen, and if i had to endure a watch party with him, he would need a proctologist for the bottle i would feel compelled to shove where the sun don't shine on him.

Agreed. Jimmy was the target Kai kind of got caught in the crossfire. I do think however he will find it tough getting pt at UCLA.

Back