1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kate Fagan

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by DBT, Jan 6, 2015.

1. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

I was watching Around the Horn and they had ESPN writer Kate Fagan on the panel. I'd never heard of her so did a search. Turns out she played at CU under Ceal Berry. Anyone remember her?

2. NWD Buff

NWD Buff Club Sandwich Club Member

Kate Fagan is the one who wrote a book about coming out while she played at CU. I haven't read it, but it seems well reviewed by those who have. I read her columns from time to time, and follow her on Twitter. She's a pretty good writer.

As a player, she was a very good 3-point shot. Had a good career at CU. (I had to look at her school bio to recall that.)

3. 90sBuff

90sBuff Club Member Club Member

It's been a long time. Pretty courageous for her to write the book. It shocked me that there were a bunch of evangelical players. I read somewhere that they prayed for Ceal. I always viewed those times as so close and never imagined there was division. Must have been hard for Ceal Barry to be so closeted too? I think she has done great things for CU. Sad she had to keep her private life so private. Glad times have changed.

4. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

Maybe why so many left the team around that time.

5. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

It was certainly used in negative recruiting against CU. Pac-12 likely a much better situation than Big 12 for the program on that note.

6. 90sBuff

What years did Fagan play?

7. 90sBuff

Ceal still sure did get good recruits. One of my favorites was Tera Bjorklund, center, from Minnesota. There was another center either after her or before that was pretty awesome too. Wonder if all the former players support the program now.

8. jcatcher

jcatcher Club Member Club Member

Tera coached my daughter in HS. Amazingly attractive 6'5" woman. After the UCLA game, I was walking behind another really attractive woman who was at least 6'5". I am 6'3" and that's just really weird.

Was Ceal Barry ever closeted? Above mentioned daughter went to her camps and it was no secret.

9. 90sBuff

I just assumed she was closeted. Maybe my mistake. Most of the bios of the coaches list the names of wives, husbands, kids, etc. does Ceal's bio mention her partner?

10. buffaholic

buffaholic Club Member Club Member

Tera lives in Denver and attends many MBB games as well. She has season tickets right near us. I'm 7-8 inches shorter than her so it's comical. Class act.

11. MarkW

MarkW Well-Known Member

Kate was diligent in her approach to the game. She worked hard to improve and was a solid three point shooter. She was one of only two scholarship players CU has had from the state of NY. I had the chance to get to know her family a bit when they were in town for games - they were a pleasure to chat with.

12. aik

aik Club Member Club Member

I recall her being a senior my freshman year, so the 03-04 NCAA team (lost to UCSB) was her last. She has been a great young voice for gender issues in sports and society. Very proud to have someone of her skill set representing CU to counter the clownish antics of Rick Reilly as one of our more famous journalist alums.

13. 90sBuff

Thats great. She was an impressive athlete. So glad she still supports the Buffs.

14. jsmilkst

jsmilkst Club Member Club Member

I just remember Kate missing a free throw one time. Because that pretty much didn't happen. Some rediculous number in a row at one point

15. WasianCU

WasianCU Club Member Club Member

I actually saw her on Around the horn the other day and agreed with a lot of what she said and thought she was a good addition to the show. I didn't realize that she played for the BnG though.

16. NWD Buff

I bought her book on Kindle and read it last night. She is a great writer, so it was a very interesting read. A lot of the takeaway belongs in Barzil, or maybe the politics and religion thread, so I won't comment too much here. I will say that I was really surprised by some of the things that were in that book.

17. Scotch

Scotch Registered User Club Member Junta Member

My Mom had a co-worker back in the early-mid nineties whose daughter played for Memphis. She made it well known her daughter wasn't allowed to play at CU because 'her family didn't approve of Ceal's lifestyle.'

18. NWD Buff

There is a part of the book where Kate is a host for a recruiting weekend, and the recruit's mother corners her about the sexual preferences of the coaching staff. Much was made about the fact that there wasn't a single man on the staff at the time. It should be noted that, according to the book, issues of sexuality were never discussed between the coaches and the team. The only times where Ms. Fagan ever had conversations with coaches about her sexuality were when she was a senior, and she sought out two of the coaches for advice.

19. AeroBuff99

AeroBuff99 Club Member Club Member

That is something I just don't understand. My only concerns with the coaching staff would be do they develop their players, do they play a style that fits my child, do they prioritize academics appropriately, and what their demeanor is. Never would the s.o. of a staff member enter my thought process. In fact, I would probably have more reservations if there was a male on the staff rather than all females.

20. dply

dply Doble hoja Club Member

I'm pretty sure the same people who have issues with lesbians also have issues with males on staffs.

[​IMG]

21. AeroBuff99

Maybe, but not likely. I think that kind of thinking has more to do with "they will turn my daughter into a God hating lesbo" than any thought of being sexually assaulted. It isn't the protection of their daughter's body that they are concerned about, it is the protection of their daughter's mind. Just being around those lesbians and gays can turn you into one, don't ya know.

22. dply

dply Doble hoja Club Member

I was being sophomoric. Males on staffs. Staff can mean penis. Sorry I'll go now.

23. AeroBuff99

Didn't even catch that. Good one.

24. RK

RK UBL Club Member

95% from the line her junior year, and I wanna say 46 in a row.

25. jsmilkst

Sounds about right. That was good times. Also 70 triples that year.

26. jsmilkst

Oh, just saw it. 44 straight, missed 3 all year (out of 65)