What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Katoa is a moron

What Katoa needs is for somebody to beat the living sh*t out of him. Aric Goodman is not in a position to do that. He did the next best thing. Letting him slide isn't doing him any favors.

My last word on the subject. Whether AG fights back or not, to me isn't the biggest issue. Calling the cops is weak IMO. He didn't "save" the FB team from bad press, he gave the haters another story because he wasn't willing to handle it himself. He was out of danger by the time he flagged down the cop I suspect. I honestly don't know what you do with somebody who is not willing to defend themselves. Katoa was clearly in the wrong, I'd wager he'd take AG (and me too) down to Chinatown if it came to it. He's a big strong kid who appears pretty comfortable issuing beatdowns. If you get assaulted, I actually kind of admire people who don't instinctively strike back. I'm not one of those people. I am going to defend myself. But to rat out a guy you know, who is already in deep **** is weak IMO. I don't relish the thought of getting into a fight, but I hate the thought of cowering worse.

So if you know the person who head butts you without provocation, you should either fight him yourself or just walk away? But calling the cops on somebody who just assaulted you is wrong?? Sorry. No sale. I have NO idea what Lynn Katoa ever did for anybody on that team that makes you think these guys should be allowing him to physically attack them, then cover up for him with the cops. Katoa attacked somebody without provocation. Even worse, it was a former teammate. The consequences for that are 100% on him. His victim has no obligation to bleed for him or cover up for him.

Ok. Given the history of how these things are handled by the Boulder PD, What would you do if you were a football player, and some dude started picking a fight with you? The history shows that even fighting back can land you in big trouble. The best thing to do is GTFO and let the authorities handle it. Cause if you don't report it, the other party will.

I don't understand involving the police after the situation was apparently over, as out of control as Katoa was.

You don't need to engage him in a fight, but it's sad to me that Katoa, even because of a position he put himself in previously, is probably facing a year or two in jail. He could possibly have gotten himself turned around and not permanantly labeled as a criminal, but that ship has now sailed. I know he did it to himself, but it seems disproportional.

Not part of the code I was raised by, but I suppose that's the way things are now.

props to AG! He di =d the right thing. Katoa is a thug that belongs behind bars!

:nod: Katoa is the only one responsible for Katoa's actions and deserves to be accountable for those actions. If AG doesn't do the right thing, who is next on the Katoa hit list? If Katoa assaults someone else... should AG have to live w/ the fact that he could have done something about it? Katoa will be right at home with people just like himself very soon... I hope.

Character rep for you Unleash! :thumbsup:

AG did absolutely nothing wrong by contacting the police. Assaulting someone (especially to the degree the person is bleeding) is a crime for a reason. It's easy for some to sit behind their keyboard and say the man with a bloody face should have just left it at that.

Fine. Anybody walks up to me and headbutts me, I'm probably swinging because as far as I know, I'm in the early stages of potentially getting my *** kicked if I don't. If I find out it is my drunk cousin, another poster from AB, a former co-worker, neighbor or somebody I know of from the local rec center, I'm very unlikely to go crying to the cops. I am sure there are situations where I would prefer not to engage, and I certainly am not looking to scrap, that is for sure. Once you've gotten your fanny kicked a couple of times you learn two things: 1. you don't want to fight unless you have to and 2. getting your fanny kicked really isn't all that bad.

There are some things I won't tolerate from anybody, even if it means I am going to come up short. From what was said in the article, this is the kind of situation where things are settled between men who know each other, not running to Johnny Law. JMO.

No offense dude, but if this is your outlook on getting your ass kicked, you haven't gotten your ass kicked before. Cracked skulls, broken orbital bones and the like are not the kind of things to be scoffed at. And besides, if you are semi famous and do some damage to someone, they are going to sue the **** out of you.

People need to realize that some people have nothing to lose and you don't want to fight them if you can help it. Scholarship football players have a lot to lose. People with full time jobs and families to support have a lot to lose. Be the bigger (and smarter) man and walk away. Stupid **** like this isn't worth it.

I can't imagine alot of Buffs coming to the aid of gold toes, but the larger issue here is that none of our players have been arrested/suspended as a result of the incident, when clearly there were several current players there and clearly the headlines could have been much, much worse. If the only casualty is some out-of-control former player who shouldn't even be in Boulder anymore, than this is a win. Cooler heads prevailed, caveman heads lost.

PS - Damn you Katoa. If you could only control yourself more, you would have made a pretty scary (good) linebacker. Now you're just scary and irrelevant.

The scary parallels to Oregon's stupid situation in January are there, but the reaction of the Oregon players ended badly for most of them.

• Oregon kicker Robert Beard was beaten unconscious after he tried to break up a fight involving OU kicker Mike Bowlin.

• Later, Beard was been charged with fourth-degree assault, a misdemeanor, for his role in the brawl in which he was knocked unconscious and suffered facial injuries that required surgery.

• Mike Bowlin leaves the team and the university over his involvement.
  • Walk-on defensive end Matt Simms also was cited misdemeanor assault in that brawl, and he was dismissed from the team.

• Next, University of Oregon quarterback Jeremiah Masoli and wide receiver Garrett Embry are charged with theft of computers and a projector -- which they stole because they believed the owners were involved in the incident with Beard and Bowlin.

• In March, UO running back LaMichael James pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor count of physical harassment for his role in the incident; receives two-year probation and a 10-day jail sentence. Masoli was sentenced to 12 months probation and 140 hours of community service after he pleaded guilty to a felony second-degree burglary charge, which in a plea agreement was reduced to a misdemeanor. Embry also pled guilty to same charges.

• Masoli was initially suspended, but later dismissed from the team in June, after an additional violation of team rules...

and so it goes. All from an altercation starting on a sidewalk outside a party.

As much as I want to see Katoa succeed -- in life, if not on the football field -- if our guys had jumped into the situation, or if Goodman had fought back or helped the situation escalate in some way, things could have spiraled downward to a much worse resolution.

Back