What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Keenan Stevens was tipping Cal defense

You are probably right, but what if Texas figured out midway thru the game?
I'm not sure Keenan was doing it that game yet.

Certainly though an opposing defense doesn't have to even see it on film and point it out. At the very least, the repetitive nature of this makes it a problem. A defense just settles in and gets comfortable with it, maybe not even on a conscious level. At the very worst, their coaches saw it on film and took advantage of it from the get go.

To me this is soooooo football 101 that I'm shocked. On one hand, it is correctable and may even help us out on offense. But on the other hand, the fact this is not a shocking revelation is all one needs to know.

Sorry, I just don't buy this. First, if you are trying to anticipate the snap count then you are going to get a few offside penalties on the Dline - you just cannot help it. Second, Dlinemen are trained to watch the ball - you don't change that as a coach. Cal was not getting a huge jump on CU - CU just has poor blocking techniques. Denver Johnson said last year that he did not like zone blocking - he believes more in overpowering the other guys...doesn't always work. Solder got beat because he has poor footwork.

Sorry, I just don't buy this. First, if you are trying to anticipate the snap count then you are going to get a few offside penalties on the Dline - you just cannot help it. Second, Dlinemen are trained to watch the ball - you don't change that as a coach. Cal was not getting a huge jump on CU - CU just has poor blocking techniques. Denver Johnson said last year that he did not like zone blocking - he believes more in overpowering the other guys...doesn't always work. Solder got beat because he has poor footwork.

Sorry bud. But if I'm the defensive coordinator and I spotted this a few weeks ago, I say "guys - we are NOT going to watch the ball. We are going to watch the center's head. When he lifts it, he will snap it a split second later. That is your key - it's like taking candy from a baby".

Watch the film. It is 100% of the time, every time, when we are in the shotgun. This is a DC's Christmas present and a Defensive Linemen's best dream come true. Handed to the Bears on a silver platter. And I repeat, the coaches likely haven't noticed this. We'll have to wait until the next away game to know, if any of us are still watching by then.

Sorry bud. But if I'm the defensive coordinator and I spotted this a few weeks ago, I say "guys - we are NOT going to watch the ball. We are going to watch the center's head. When he lifts it, he will snap it a split second later. That is your key - it's like taking candy from a baby".

Watch the film. It is 100% of the time, every time, when we are in the shotgun. This is a DC's Christmas present and a Defensive Linemen's best dream come true. Handed to the Bears on a silver platter. And I repeat, the coaches likely haven't noticed this. We'll have to wait until the next away game to know, if any of us are still watching by then.

If the bold/underline quote above is accurate, isn't that a pretty glaring indictment of Hawkins and his coaches?

Back