What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

KEG Renovations

Yes. I wandered over there before a game last year. Didn't seem like there was anything at all going on there.

part of the weight room expansion/locker-room move around i described is cannibalizing that space.

part of the weight room expansion/locker-room move around i described is cannibalizing that space.

Yeah, that's what I figured. One of those rooms is a lecture hall set up. Would be ideal for a film room, IMO.

I can't find the post/forum, but either last summer or the summer before somebody had linked to the plans and the A/V company that was going to do the build out of the film room at the CEC, did that not get done?

I can't find the post/forum, but either last summer or the summer before somebody had linked to the plans and the A/V company that was going to do the build out of the film room at the CEC, did that not get done?

In process, or just completed. had to wait for the seasons to end because it affected the VB and BB locker rooms.

I agree with one of the earlier posters and think growing some pine trees inside the arena should be one of top priorities.

Would love to see a similar video board at the Keg

nuggets_scoreboard_for_web.jpg

Nash, that would be overkill for me.

I want the focus on the court rather than the screen. Just like at Folsom, I like nice video screens for replays and other things during play stoppage. But if I wanted to watch the game on a hi-def screen, I'd stay home and view from the comfort of my couch. Focus the action on the court where it belongs.

Nash, that would be overkill for me.

I want the focus on the court rather than the screen. Just like at Folsom, I like nice video screens for replays and other things during play stoppage. But if I wanted to watch the game on a hi-def screen, I'd stay home and view from the comfort of my couch. Focus the action on the court where it belongs.

So everyone wants to take the restrooms away from the corners, but where are the video boards going to go if that happens? I know we can't do a center video board with our current roof, but they are going to have to have some plan in place (Washington like) to add some supports.

So everyone wants to take the restrooms away from the corners, but where are the video boards going to go if that happens? I know we can't do a center video board with our current roof, but they are going to have to have some plan in place (Washington like) to add some supports.

I'm all for a center court scoreboard. Just want it to be about half that size.

I'm all for a center court scoreboard. Just want it to be about half that size.

I've always liked Pauley Pavillion's video board. It was good size without being intrusive. The combo of realtime stats and video playback ability which is pretty standard today is always nice as well. Pauley has a similar structure and layout to the Keg (yes, I know there are major difference) as well with an added extra deck of seating above the entrance.

UCLA-Venue-Pauley-Pavilion3.jpg

Last edited:
I think the Keg is great with the video boards at where they are plus I think the fans would be more into the action as a result instead of being distracted by the center video board if there was one. I'm not sure what other Pac-12 program has good size for those videoboards.

Suite boxes plus club seats should be only considered since that would be a major source of revenue and football wouldn't have to carry the entire athletic department. That should be the goal with any Keg renovation.

I think the Keg is great with the video boards at where they are plus I think the fans would be more into the action as a result instead of being distracted by the center video board if there was one. I'm not sure what other Pac-12 program has good size for those videoboards.

Suite boxes plus club seats should be only considered since that would be a major source of revenue and football wouldn't have to carry the entire athletic department. That should be the goal with any Keg renovation.

They are okay now. Four corners would be better. I am just thinking that they wanna open up the whole concourse up top which means they only can do a center video board.

I completely agree. I love the boards in the corners. It forces the crowd to pay more attention to the court. When people may more attention to the court they become more emotionally invested in what is happening and that is why our home court advantage is becoming one that visitors really fear. As pissed off as we were in the student section when ASU hit that buzzer beater and came over to the students and talking trash, it shows how big a reputation the C-Unit has. I think you put in video boards in the center of our arena and you start to lose some of that intensity from the students farther up in the student section.

The Keg needs some TLC, but I do not think we need new video boards.

Tante: with the current structural configuration of the roof, there is no possible way for them to remove those four corners from the concourse. That would be a major renovation. Possible even more cost effective to be a complete demo at that point.

Shldr2Shldr,

I wouldn't mind a complete demo of the roof even if that displaces the three teams for a year as long as it allows us to have two hockey teams (one mens and one womens) in the future. I think with hockey, that would mean more revenue that could support the other non revenue sports at CU. Then we could actually focus on baseball and softball.

I can't wait to see what George's vision for CU sports are once he starts his duties.

Shldr2Shldr,

I wouldn't mind a complete demo of the roof even if that displaces the three teams for a year as long as it allows us to have two hockey teams (one mens and one womens) in the future. I think with hockey, that would mean more revenue that could support the other non revenue sports at CU. Then we could actually focus on baseball and softball.

I can't wait to see what George's vision for CU sports are once he starts his duties.

we are adding baseball LONG before hockey.

1. Stadium/arena
HOCKEY
2. Start up costs
HOCKEY
3. Most likely to become contenders
HOCKEY

Not sure you fully grasp how expensive hockey is, at best it would be a push to reno the keg versus build an adequate baseball facility. That said we'll table the what is cheaper arguement, as i assume you'll disagree. Baseball comes back first for several reasons:

1.) Natural pair in Softball
2.) we are the only pac-12 school with no baseball
3.) people actually watch college baseball ($$$$$ to the league)
4.) ESPN telivizes about as much college softball as it does Mens ice hockey, women's ice hockey is not on tv. ($$$$ for the league)
5.) Most pac-12 schools have no real ice hockey to speak of (you could play for Furd or Cal), no opponents, no TV, no league $$$
6.) Title IX (cant do mens hockey w/o womens) makes the hokey program a black hole.

Not sure you fully grasp how expensive hockey is, at best it would be a push to reno the keg versus build an adequate baseball facility. That said we'll table the what is cheaper arguement, as i assume you'll disagree. Baseball comes back first for several reasons:

4.) ESPN telivizes about as much college softball as it does Mens ice hockey, women's ice hockey is not on tv. ($$$$ for the league)
5.) Most pac-12 schools have no real ice hockey to speak of (you could play for Furd or Cal), no opponents, no TV, no league $$$
6.) Title IX (cant do mens hockey w/o womens) makes the hokey program a black hole.

7) CU has expressed concern over its lack of spring sports that interest/connect fans.

What is with the Allbuffs fetish with baseball and hockey? THEY WONT MAKE ANY MONEY AT CU. EVER.

How about focusing on the only sport that matters ... Football. We are horrible at it.

Back