What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Kent Baer

Fair enough. To get the ball out quick, what kind of routes u think they are gonna run? U don't defend finesse, u attack it.

Fresno State's opening drive vs. Rutgers:

Play #
1. Bubble Screen
2. Bubble Screen
3. Bubble Screen (Playaction)
4. Dump off to the RB (Released and turned at the LOS)
5. Run
6. TE pop pass
7. Bubble screen
8. Run
9. Fade (From the 2)
10. Run, pump fake fade - TD

Their running game looks like read option, but I didn't see Carr hold it once on that drive. Every pass was out within 2 seconds. If you blitz these guys you'll take two steps towards the QB before you're chasing the play from behind. Gotta make plays in space! Gotta force them to kick field goals.

Their offense moves fast too.

I don't think so, I'd pay Carr no mind on zone read if he's gonna give it. Blitz with the backers, we've got 5 dbs. Two can take up the blockers, 3 cleans up. They aren't running anything that hasn't been seen before. The Redskins got back in the game last night because they were aggressive and pressed the issue. U sit back, they will pick u apart. We will give up some plays in the process but we'll make some too.

I don't expect a lot of blitzes this week either. The FSU offense is designed for the QB to catch and throw. 2 seconds is not enough time to bring pressure. It's going to be a bunch of short quick passes where they try to isolate a guy in space to beat someone one on one. The kind of crap that we had no strategy for last year.

This year, you see the DB's working it together. A little bend don't break. Force him to the sideline with a proper angle or force him inside where there is help if you must. The Sideline is our friend and FINALLY we seem to understand this. Expect Fresno to put up huge yardage, while moving it into the redzone. Then we will see what happens there.

Any reason not to drop one of the DEs in coverage and just rush three or even just two, while bumping outside WRs hard at the LOS? FSU seems a tight timing outfit. Also, would love to just get one good shot at Carr early and bury that right shoulder.....

Last edited:
I don't think so, I'd pay Carr no mind on zone read if he's gonna give it. Blitz with the backers, we've got 5 dbs. Two can take up the blockers, 3 cleans up. They aren't running anything that hasn't been seen before. The Redskins got back in the game last night because they were aggressive and pressed the issue. U sit back, they will pick u apart. We will give up some plays in the process but we'll make some too.

Ya I wouldn't worry about the read option.

They'll throw outs, hitches, slants, screens, etc. at us just like any team. IIRC - We tried being aggressive & we tried dropping 9 in coverage against the old Mizzou teams that smoked us. Gotta generate coverage sacks & pressure with your front 4. That's where those Oklahoma teams would dominate Mizzou every year.

There's always a place for blitzing, but they'll burn us on RB releases/swings, TE pop passes, backside slants, etc. if we're gonna blitz our linebackers all game. Carr is accurate and they're well organized. Gotta mix things up, disguise coverage, stunt, make tackles in space and force them to sustain drives to put points on the board.

Last edited:
I'm speaking more of a zone blitz look. He throws that backside slant we have a guy waiting for an early Xmas present. Of course u mix it up, I didn't say every down. Gotta make him uncomfortable. Lets see how accurate he is when he gets lit up a few times.

We have a puncher's chance in this game but sitting back and defending is a bad idea IMHO. We don't have the horses for that so we gotta make up for it. Put his ass on the ground early and often, tends to mess with a qb.

We have a puncher's chance in this game but sitting back and defending is a bad idea IMHO. We don't have the horses for that so we gotta make up for it. Put his ass on the ground early and often, tends to mess with a qb.

I'm actually hoping to see more of what we've been doing on defense. Keep the WRs in front of us, tackle well, make them hear footsteps, and eventually bait the QB into some INTs.

So Derek Carr has only been sacked once this season. But, I decided to watch a bit of SMU/Fresno from last year since SMU held Fresno to 10 points and sacked Carr 7 times. On all 7 sacks, SMU rushed no more than 4 guys at Carr and actually registered a few sacks out of 3 man fronts (Margus Hunt is a beast though). They delayed blitz a LB out of the 3 man front on two occasions, which registered sacks as well.

Anyway, just thought it was interesting to see how one team shut them down.

So Derek Carr has only been sacked once this season. But, I decided to watch a bit of SMU/Fresno from last year since SMU held Fresno to 10 points and sacked Carr 7 times. On all 7 sacks, SMU rushed no more than 4 guys at Carr and actually registered a few sacks out of 3 man fronts (Margus Hunt is a beast though). They delayed blitz a LB out of the 3 man front on two occasions, which registered sacks as well.

Anyway, just thought it was interesting to see how one team shut them down.

Guarantee Coach has been reviewing that tape over and over again. Along with is own tape from two years ago at SJSU

I'm actually hoping to see more of what we've been doing on defense. Keep the WRs in front of us, tackle well, make them hear footsteps, and eventually bait the QB into some INTs.

I hope coach Jeffcoat has our linemen working on reading the qb and getting their hands up. We'll need some turnovers to win this one, and their style of play makes it possible to tip a lot of passes.

We don't have Drago on our team. I see what ur saying Nik, I just think we can't do what we've been doing against better talent. From last years team, how many guys on O does Fresneck have back? That does make a difference. U have a beast like Hunt, it allows u a little more flexibility so to speak. CUD can play, we need somebody else opposite to get pressure with 4.

Baiting Grayson and the kid from UCA is one thing. Baiting Carr is something completely different. If we can generate a decent pass rush with the front four, great. If not, we need to get creative - and aggressive.

We don't have Drago on our team. I see what ur saying Nik, I just think we can't do what we've been doing against better talent. From last years team, how many guys on O does Fresneck have back? That does make a difference. U have a beast like Hunt, it allows u a little more flexibility so to speak. CUD can play, we need somebody else opposite to get pressure with 4.

What we need is a push up the middle from Tupou, Solis, and Hennington. Rushing from the edge won't get it done. They need to collapse the pocket.

Fair enough. To get the ball out quick, what kind of routes u think they are gonna run? U don't defend finesse, u attack it.
A lot of passes behind the LOS that allow their wideouts to start blocking downfield before the ball is caught. You can't blitz this offense effectively, not with 2 second throws.

Was talking to wsp. I hear ya holic but we have to get pressure and sure u can blitz it, right up the A gap from time to time. If they are gonna screen us to death, hope we man up alot, get our hands on them. Blitz up the A, maybe the nickel too opposite side and drop somebody. We don't have to sack his ass, just get him thinking instead of him knowing where he is going before they even snap the damn ball.

Something that I knew in the back of my mind, but just came up again is that our DB's have to practice against and cover an All-American wide receiver. Our DB's and LB's are practicing against a quarter back who aside from a couple mistakes, has shredded the first two defenses he has faced. Connor is #33 in the nation in terms of QBR and is top 5 in terms of yardage. Each week the defense will be improving because of our offensive attack. Its a situation where the two units really should begin to build eachother as the season progresses. Very exciting to see what could and should occur as we get deeper into the fall.

Something that I knew in the back of my mind, but just came up again is that our DB's have to practice against and cover an All-American wide receiver. Our DB's and LB's are practicing against a quarter back who aside from a couple mistakes, has shredded the first two defenses he has faced. Connor is #33 in the nation in terms of QBR and is top 5 in terms of yardage. Each week the defense will be improving because of our offensive attack. Its a situation where the two units really should begin to build eachother as the season progresses. Very exciting to see what could and should occur as we get deeper into the fall.

Yeah, all that happened in fall camp, but who is running scout team QB this week, I wonder? Sefo? SJ? Webb?

I can see myself start developing a man crush if he can plan an attack to stop fsu.... and to think lots of you out there were questioning his hire. I like the experience he brought with him at this level. He has seen and game planned for lots of offenses over the years, almost seen it all.

Kent is awesome, but don't forget Coach Mac was Assistant of the Year as DC at Duke. 2 defensive guys...love it!

Back