1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kevin Sumlin - Discuss

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by InTheBuff, Nov 24, 2009.

1. InTheBuff

InTheBuff Club Member Club Member

Texas ties ... what else is there you like/dislike ?

2. Unleash Hell

Unleash Hell Well-Known Member

This one will get Jimmy going. We've been discussing Sumlin all season.

3. ScottyBuff

ScottyBuff Well-Known Member

Generally, I think he is a good candidate.

- Wish he had more time at Houston, as he inherited the current squad from Briles.

+ that he was an "expanded" OC at Oklahoma and now is getting HC experience and being successful.

+ TX ties as you mentioned

+ Makes $700k at Houston, so even doubling his salary would be affordable

+ Has worked for a variety of good HC's, instead of a product of one HC/system

- Runs the spread offense (not personal preference)

- Minimal recruiting base out of Texas

+ Is 3-1 against BCS opponents (including wins over Okie State and Texas Tech)

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  4. JimmyBuff

JimmyBuff Well-Known Member

U missed it..

I'm okay with Sumlin now..

I like the Texas ties and the Big 12 coaching experience.. Dislike that he left here after being hired by GB in two weeks.

5. HornBuff

HornBuff Horns Down

How much is him and how much is Briles?

Don't know.

6. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

Not a huge fan of his. I just don't think the kind of offense he runs is something we need to bring here. He's going to coach in a lot of games that end up 44-42 and that really isn't my idea of good football. Defense and running the football is more important and less reliant on having a good QB that doesn't have a bad day. I guess it might be the new wave and the future considering the rule changes over the past few years making it easier to have a down the field passing attack, but I still think a balanced offense is key.

7. BuffLuKe

BuffLuKe Club Member Club Member

Is it his wife that doesnt like Boulder? I know he was an assistant for like a day or something and then went to OU instead a few years ago. That was him right?

8. MCskid

MCskid New Member

Sumlin leaving here after a few weeks for ou just shows that he is a smart guy. he wouldn't be the hc at houston is he had stayed here. don't see it as a drawback that he was smart enough to take the better opportunity.

9. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

does he run the pistol?

10. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

What would their record be without Case Keenum?

11. ThndringHerd

ThndringHerd Well-Known Member

:dito:

Like Dykes, I think he's a perfect candidate if you want a team that wins 5-7 games per year, with maybe one better year per decade. If mediocrity is the new excellence, then he'll excel... at that. If that's what everyone wants, I'm not sure why we're running Hawkins out of town. I think he'd eventually get us to that level.

I think we'd be much better served bringing in a coach who knows defense. Better than being married to some flavor-or-the-month offense that is already at the point of diminishing returns.

12. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

I think he would be Hawk redux. He runs a gimmick offense that works very well if he either has better athletes than his opponent which is the case in his own league or is playing against teams that have not played him before on a regular basis and have a hard time adapting to his system in a weeks time.

Put him in the Big XII and he loses both advantages. He might be able to recruit some excellent athletes to CU but the teams we play will also have good athletes, schools like Texas, OU, etc will be better. When he becomes a league opponent teams will pay more attention to what he does and he will lose the second advantage as well.

His success at Houston reminds me to much of Hawk's success at Boise. Once you become part of the club, smoke and mirrors don't work anymore. What does work is sound fundamental football and I don't see huge amounts of that our of him.

13. rynobuff

rynobuff Club Member Club Member

:/ one good season??? But he does seem to have potential. Too big of a risk in my opinion but to be honest it could work out. Would rather have a Venebles or even the Embree/EB tandem but I guess I'd be willing to give him a shot

14. FecaBuff

FecaBuff Guest

I don't think colored coaches will make it in Boulder. Not being a racist just a fact.

15. The Guest

The Guest Guest

I don't think your brand of idot will make it on this message board.

Care to justify your remark?

EDIT: Also, I'm not quite sure you understand what "fact" means.

16. 66BUFF

66BUFF FTW Club Member

:wow:

turn off the best of Amos and Andy VHS tape and join the 21st century

17. FecaBuff

FecaBuff Guest

Boulder is not exactly the most cosmopolitan city and like George Bush the city just doesn't like Black people.

18. The Guest

The Guest Guest

It's a start, but I'm not seeing any justification which supports your remark.

And while I appreciate (with a sense of irony) your ill-spoken Kanye West reference, I don't see anything in Boulder's character that makes it unfriendly to ethnic minorities.

Could you cite anything substantial or factual (though you've already proven yourself to be sketchy on the concept of facts) which supports your opinion?

19. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

Troll alert

First two post ever are to spout this drivel. This is either a troll trying for attention or one of the regulars who registered a different handle because he didn't want to take responsibility for being an absolute idot.

20. FecaBuff

FecaBuff Guest

Not a troll; you sir are the troll stirring up trouble and the proverbial pot.

21. buffs04

buffs04 Well-Known Member

"Colored"? Seriously...?

Your other posts are pretty terrible but this is by the far the worst.

22. BuffInDC

BuffInDC New Member

Boulder has changed a lot.

This isn't the 80's buddy.

23. BuffInDC

BuffInDC New Member

My main problem with Kevin Sumlin is that he doesn't focus on defense, Houston is 112th in Total Defense. You can dominate the C-USA with a high powered spread offense in which you can give up points but outscore your opponent, but in the Big 12 you will not be able to do it without having some sort of defense.

What he is doing at Houston can't be imitated here at Colorado without getting the right players for the system, Sumlin has had success with Art Briles' players and his recruits havent really touched the field yet. You just can't turn a Cody Hawkins into a Chase Keenum, not against this level of competition.

Call me crazy but I think hes going to A&M, a lot sooner than he may think.

24. Hawkmustgo!

Hawkmustgo! New Member

I'd be ok with Sumlin as coach.....WHEN Hawk gets canned!

25. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

My exact thoughts. If he came here, same with Dykes, we'd get into a lot of shootouts. We'd probably even win some, so it'd be an improvement over Hawk, but we can do better than a guy like this. Defense is my preferred way to go. I'd much rather be in Nebraska's position with a dominant defense and a lackluster offense.

26. The Guest

The Guest Guest

I can't even comprehend such a sentiment. She was okay with Norman?

27. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

I'm not quite sure she understands what "racist" means.