What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Key CU Buffs player suspended for the season

I'm angry as well. But doesn't the kid deserve some of the blame? He knew what the rules were.
He, and others, were being called racist terms....I'll let you guess what those words were. The charges were dropped because of lack of evidence, this is 100% bull****. CU trying to think they're above the law.

I'm angry as well. But doesn't the kid deserve some of the blame? He knew what the rules were.

For sure. And I blame Tupou to the extent of what he did wrong. He got in a fight off campus and the Boulder DA didn't pursue criminal charges. Only at CU does this result in him getting suspended for a year.

Punishment that fits the crime: some extra conditioning, maybe some community service, and maybe -- if HCMM wanted to be considered a hard ass -- being suspended for the entire Hawaii game and not making that trip. We're talking about a student athlete here who was never reported to be in any kind of incident for his first 2 1/2 years on campus (not even academic). You don't throw a guy like that under the bus...

... and if you give a **** about your football program, you don't throw a much worse guy under the bus for this type of incident.

Seriously. We all watch and read a lot about college sports. How often do we hear that a player is suspended for a season for getting in a fight that doesn't involve criminal charges being pursued? I can't think of one. This **** doesn't happen other places. CU makes things so hard on itself. Another case of self-inflicted damage to the program. Hurts this season and it's the type of thing that makes coaches reluctant to come here.

Also doesn't give the rest of the team a good feeling about CU. We definitely don't need any extra morale issues on top of everything else.

For sure. And I blame Tupou to the extent of what he did wrong. He got in a fight off campus and the Boulder DA didn't pursue criminal charges. Only at CU does this result in him getting suspended for a year.

Punishment that fits the crime: some extra conditioning, maybe some community service, and maybe -- if HCMM wanted to be considered a hard ass -- being suspended for the entire Hawaii game and not making that trip. We're talking about a student athlete here who was never reported to be in any kind of incident for his first 2 1/2 years on campus (not even academic). You don't throw a guy like that under the bus...

... and if you give a **** about your football program, you don't throw a much worse guy under the bus for this type of incident.

Seriously. We all watch and read a lot about college sports. How often do we hear that a player is suspended for a season for getting in a fight that doesn't involve criminal charges being pursued? I can't think of one. This **** doesn't happen other places. CU makes things so hard on itself. Another case of self-inflicted damage to the program. Hurts this season and it's the type of thing that makes coaches reluctant to come here.
Also hurts recruiting obviously.

Gotta say I am not surprised at all. We are destined to remain in the college football ****house

Is Tupou suspended from school or just football? Either way, he's probably played his last game for CU. With the redshirt available, just transfer to a school that plays real football. Or finish up classes next year and bolt via grad transfer rules.

Just to be clear, I agree with you. I can't stand that kangaroo court, whatever they are called. Kids have to go before them and aren't allowed representation and have no recourse to challenge the punishment. It's damned wrong. Not just in this case but for any student.

Also hurts recruiting obviously.
I guess you could spin it different ways. A parent may like the idea of strict rules. Other programs may use it for negative recruiting. I'm sure the coaches will tell recruits, "Yeah. If you screw up and get in a fight and/or get arrested, this can be the result, but it doesn't happen very often."

Is Tupou suspended from school or just football? Either way, he's probably played his last game for CU. With the redshirt available, just transfer to a school that plays real football. Or finish up classes next year and bolt via grad transfer rules.

I don't think that student conduct court would have the jurisdiction to make the call on punishment within the football program. If I remember past rulings that went against football players, this becomes a case of HCMM saying his hands are tied because the player isn't allowed to enroll for the semester.

Just to be clear, I agree with you. I can't stand that kangaroo court, whatever they are called. Kids have to go before them and aren't allowed representation and have no recourse to challenge the punishment. It's damned wrong. Not just in this case but for any student.
The student can appeal the case, pretty sure you can have representation as well

From what I've heard, it's from the fight. There are no issues with the law now and the future. Apparently CU has had their eye on josh for awhile. He has already appealed and done everything to get the suspension reduced or removed. The University had none of it. It's a done deal.

If I had a kid being recruited at a high level for football I would vigorously discourage him from considering CU.

They better suspend every student that is ever accused of getting into a fight or every student who gets into a fight, if this is the case. There has to be more to this. I can't think of any reason at all to do this. This is absolutely ludicrous if true.

I hope he lawyers up.

I guess the silver lining is he has a red shirt year if its possible he can come back. Not sure why he would though.

Unbelievable

I don't think that student conduct court would have the jurisdiction to make the call on punishment within the football program. If I remember past rulings that went against football players, this becomes a case of HCMM saying his hands are tied because the player isn't allowed to enroll for the semester.

Ok, then Tupou just transfers. Sit out the year lifting weights then slide into a starting spot for the fall 2016, and call it a day. Do you know how valuable an honorable mention all pac Nose tackle is on the free market? I'd parlay this into $10,000 or a free car.

From what I've heard, it's from the fight. There are no issues with the law now and the future. Apparently CU has had their eye on josh for awhile. He has already appealed and done everything to get the suspension reduced or removed. The University had none of it. It's a done deal.

So, the administration is clearly not serious about improving the football program, and RG and MM are ****ed, as are the fans.

Hey Junta, shut this bitch down and let's call it a day.

They better suspend every student that is ever accused of getting into a fight or every student who gets into a fight, if this is the case. There has to be more to this. I can't think of any reason at all to do this. This is absolutely ludicrous if true.

I hope he lawyers up.

I guess the silver lining is he has a red shirt year if its possible he can come back. Not sure why he would though.

Unbelievable
Two of my friends got in a fight with each other Freshman year, punches were thrown and both were not cooperative with the police. All they had to do was go to a alcohol class since they were 18, do community service, and pay a fine.

This is ****ing bull**** by CU.

So, the administration is clearly not serious about improving the football program, and RG and MM are ****ed, as are the fans.

Hey Junta, shut this bitch down and let's call it a day.
How do you think the players feel too? Everyone on that team has to be wondering if they actually have the support. they are all pissed at CU right now.

I want to believe there is more to this story. The administration has improved so much in the past few years with RG and I find it hard to believe they would suspend him for a year without substantiated evidence that he in fact was an active participant, or worse.

I want to believe there is more to this story. The administration has improved so much in the past few years with RG and I find it hard to believe they would suspend him for a year without substantiated evidence that he in fact was an active participant, or worse.
Even if he was look at Tini post. One fight shouldn't do it. I've met josh multiple times. Didn't have an issue, but clearly he was on the radar for a reason. I heard this was going to happen in April before the appeals. The appeal process apparently was a joke.

What's that mean?
There were a couple minor petty things earlier in his career. Never was reported on. I'm just the messenger. I'm far from an expert I'm just saying what I've heard from people close to the situation.

Two of my friends got in a fight with each other Freshman year, punches were thrown and both were not cooperative with the police. All they had to do was go to a alcohol class since they were 18, do community service, and pay a fine.

This is ****ing bull**** by CU.

But in this case one party is cooperative with the police and that party had his face bones broken... Not quite the same.

But in this case one party is cooperative with the police and that party had his face bones broken... Not quite the same.

So if you lose a fight it makes the other person the bad guy?

That does seem to be the rule these days.

Once upon a time, there wasn't any sympathy for someone who mouthed off to someone 3 times his size and ended up getting an attitude adjustment delivered to him.

Regardless of prior incidents, I don't understand a punishment system that goes from zero to a semester with nothing in between. That's ridiculous.

Becoming impossible for us diehards to continue to support a program that subjects itself to different rules from every other ****ing university in the country.

Can't imagine what RG and MM are thinking at this point.

Back