What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Key CU Buffs player suspended for the season

Can some of our older posters wrote a sternly worded letter and the rest of us send emails?

Assuming this stands, I'll be very surprised if we ever see Tupou play at CU again.

This ****ing sucks.

I got that from the original report in the Daily Camera about the charges being dismissed. It's linked in my article.

"The motion stated that prosecutors moved to dismiss the case "without prejudice in order to continue to investigate." Dismissing a case without prejudice means prosecutors can choose to re-file charges in the case at a later time."

I have had a law suit filed, withdrawn, and re-filed in exactly this fashion. You with draw in this fashion so you can refile at a later date.

If I had a kid being recruited at a high level for football I would vigorously discourage him from considering CU.
This will not effect recruiting. I think some OSU are blowing that aspect of it out of proportion. Of course, Our recruiting can't get much worse anyway.

What a joke. Like others have said, any other school in the country and this is a suspension of the first quarter against Hawaii or something. Anyone remember that Florida kid that had a really bad DUI the week of the SEC championship game and he missed like the first series or something. No ****s given.

**** suspending him maybe 2 games would've been fine, SEC guys maybe sit a half against Nicholls State.

****ing kangaroo court

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are 100% correct. There is no justice in these internal 'courts'. A bunch of self-righteous asses.

I have been told by an attorney who does a lot of work in the area, that regarding sexual assault claims, universities have, in effect, quotas. If they don't expel a certain number of students per year, they have issues in re federal funding. I told him that was not believable, but he insisted and he is a highly respected, honest man

There just has to be more to the story. I posted this before the charges were dropped but the judicial affairs office is usually reasonable, atleast in my experience. And I don't see how awini and lee were not in trouble at the same time. Who knows. Complete bull**** though.

A few thoughts if I may:

1. As others have observed, only at CU is the level of idiocy this high. It is another obstacle the AD and FB in particular will have to clear that further impairs the rebuilding of the FB team.

2. It remains very difficult for an alum and diehard fan like me to remain engaged. Ten years of crap performance. Repeated absolutely incompetent decisions and policies by the admin.

3. There is a difference between civil and criminal litigation. Both have statutes of limitation beyond which charges (criminal) or claims (civil) cannot be brought. Criminal has the additional safeguard of double jeopardy which only attaches when the first witness is sworn in a trial. Filing charges, dismissing w/o prejudice does not invoke DJ.

4. Topou has to be fuming.

Last edited:
**** suspending him maybe 2 games would've been fine, SEC guys maybe sit a half against Nicholls State.

Johnny Manziel was suspended for the first half of the Rice game two years ago for the alleged autograph incident. This punishment seems about on par with that:rolling_eyes:

and then you have the morale question. It would have been tough for his teammates to deal with losing him to a knee injury, but losing him just because the school doesn't care about you or your team seems somehow worse

Unless there is something more here, it seems like the university wants to make a statement that "violence within our student base will not be tolerated."

I have to wonder what happened to the other kid involved in the fight. Is there any disagreement, especially given his previous incident, that his racist slurs started or accelerated the fight with Tupou? If so, and if he's also not suspended, does that not imply that the university has more tolerance for virulent racism than physical violence? Are they sure they want to take that stance? Perhaps the committee responsible for punishment should be asked these questions In a public forum.

1 step forward 3 steps back

--doesn't the "victim" in this case have a history of mouthing off and initiating trouble?
--for the life of me, i cannot understand Boulder's and CU's purported desire to help minorities and then hand down a decision like this
--the Buffs D, very porous last year can ill afford to lose and experienced big time player like Josh
--gillam's chances of playing are thin at best--after sustaining multiple concussions over the last two years and experiencing major headache issues..
--no josh and no gillam...ugly
--what is the difference between josh's deal and the lewis/webb ass whupping/concussing of the Air Force guy?...Webb was on the team after that..

It may be an issue that the Regents need to get involved with. There is clearly a disproportionate application of the rules in this case. That, in my mind, is cause for the leadership body of the University to step in and investigate why Tupou received a harsher punishment than somebody else in the same situation.

Is a presidential pardon possible? Time for the administration to step up and prove their support, not just for football, but for reason.

Any of you donors who know AD/school admin able to reach out to them to get some information on how to fight this? Something needs to be done and I think people here can make a difference if our efforts can be focused in the right way.

It may be an issue that the Regents need to get involved with. There is clearly a disproportionate application of the rules in this case. That, in my mind, is cause for the leadership body of the University to step in and investigate why Tupou received a harsher punishment than somebody else in the same situation.

In the Post article Plati was asked if there is a chance of this being overturned. He did not say "yes" or "no." Instead, he said, "We have no idea what the future holds." I'd bet there are things going on behind the scenes.

Seems like there has to be more to the story here.

I'm just speculating and have no information, but maybe witnesses and/or victim refused to cooperate in the criminal matter. However, the judicial affairs required that they provide information to them, including Josh providing his account, and with that information, judicial affairs may have determined that a 325 pound man knocked over a fence and pounded an individual 150 pounds lighter than him in the face. Maybe that is not acceptable to the CU community even if it was a star football player?

I'm just speculating and have no information, but maybe witnesses and/or victim refused to cooperate in the criminal matter. However, the judicial affairs required that they provide information to them, including Josh providing his account, and with that information, judicial affairs may have determined that a 325 pound man knocked over a fence and pounded an individual 150 pounds lighter than him in the face. Maybe that is not acceptable to the CU community even if it was a star football player?

But throwing out racial slurs is? If you're gonna throw a racial slur at someone, you best be ready for a fight.

This isn't the first time the kid had gotten his ass beat for running his mouth either.

Also, there was a similar situation at Oregon with their basketball players. 3 players allegedly raped a girl, DA never brought charges, witnesses said nothing illegal happened but they were still kicked out of school.

But throwing out racial slurs is? If you're gonna throw a racial slur at someone, you best be ready for a fight.

This isn't the first time the kid had gotten his ass beat for running his mouth either.

I absolutely against racial slurs and if racial slurs were used, I'd think those individual would be disciplined as well and maybe they were.

Back