What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Klatt seems to be enjoying The Rise a lot

Embree got more than a fair shot. He was hired as a head football coach when he had zero head coaching experience. He had zero experience as a coordinator, too. Saying he didnt get a fair shot is absurd.

So how many of you Klatt haters also still hate Von Miller?

I'll feel a lot better about Von if and when he has a son that is a chip off the old block who is a CU lock.

In advance of that, he should make an appearance at Folsom on a Bronco's bye week.

Buff Pride > Broncos

Klatt was and is one of my favorite Buffs. He's a rising star in his field and he goes out of his way to promote us, help with CU video etc. Guessing he's done more for CU football than 95% of those on the forum(probably more). So, yeah... he's good in my book
LOL, gosh I would hope so! We're a bunch of anonymous BB dwellers, that bar is pretty friggin low.

Embree got more than a fair shot. He was hired as a head football coach when he had zero head coaching experience. He had zero experience as a coordinator, too. Saying he didnt get a fair shot is absurd.

He was hired into a no win situation. With that administration I don't know of any coach that would have succeeded so he didn't get a fair shot. At the same time it wouldn't have mattered because no matter how good a situation he got he would have failed, he and his coordinators were not ready to do the job.

no other program in america had shown interest in jon embree as HC. he wouldn't have got interviewed at Iowa State.

and we just upped and hired the guy. it was insanity.

if there is any criteria for hiring a coach....that no one else has ever even considered him....should be one of them.

i think Bohn was trying to save his job by blackmailing the Mac era boosters to be on his side after Hawk, basically.

He was hired into a no win situation. With that administration I don't know of any coach that would have succeeded so he didn't get a fair shot. At the same time it wouldn't have mattered because no matter how good a situation he got he would have failed, he and his coordinators were not ready to do the job.
This. This right here.
This situation was impossible AND he and his team were not capable. It doesn't have to be one or the other. If fact, reality shows it to not be. Other coaches failed here before there was support AND Embree and his team still aren't leading <insert other school> to national championships.

They both failed. Not one because of the other, both of them in spite of each other.

This. This right here.
This situation was impossible AND he and his team were not capable. It doesn't have to be one or the other. If fact, reality shows it to not be. Other coaches failed here before there was support AND Embree and his team still aren't leading <insert other school> to national championships.

They both failed. Not one because of the other, both of them in spite of each other.
Sorry man, kind of lost me along the way.

Sorry man, kind of lost me along the way.
It wasn't Embree failing because of no support from the admin, and it wasn't the admin failing <insert any coach> - they both failed independently. The combination didn't help, but Embree would have failed with Alabama's admin, and CU's admin would have failed with Saban's entire coaching tree.

One of you guys call in the the Mark Packer college sports XM radio show today?

The guy asked what he and Robert Smith thought about the Buffs and they honestly went on for about 15 minutes on what a great job MM is doing, and how smart Colorado was to allow him the time he needed to build the program and now the patience is paying off in a big way.

Packer was raving about what a great guy MM is and how insane the new facilities are and how amazing and beautiful Boulder is. He was even telling prospective recruits that if they take one look at CU they will fall in love. It was like a free infomercial for 15 minutes. It is really refreshing to hear the genuine enthusiasm nationally for what is happening with our program.

Last edited:
Klatt was on 104.3 this morning and they asked him if he was getting contacted about Coach Mac. Klatt says it isn't unusual for AD's to reach out to Klatt for input on DC's OC's and HC's for vacancies or anticipated vacancies, and yes he had been asked about Coach Mac. Interesting.

Klatt was on 104.3 this morning and they asked him if he was getting contacted about Coach Mac. Klatt says it isn't unusual for AD's to reach out to Klatt for input on DC's OC's and HC's for vacancies or anticipated vacancies, and yes he had been asked about Coach Mac. Interesting.
Heard that, too, and that's consistent from other "media" guys I follow. Klatt also followed that up by saying there is no reason for Mac to leave CU. He has everything he needs to be a national contender from year to year. Obviously, CU might not have the deep pockets that other programs do, but I have a feeling boosters and RG will find the funds to pay him what he's worth.

If he takes us to a south title and a rose bowl, that will be enough for people to come knocking.
Agreed. There's nothing fluky at all about this season. They are throttling the lesser competition and beating or being competitive against more talented programs. We could all see it coming (as could most smart football people around the country), maybe not to this extent in 2016, but MM is not viewed as a lucky, one year wonder. Also, this validates the job he did in SJSU. He has now PROVEN that he knows how to tear it down and build it back up.

Reactions: aik
Agreed. There's nothing fluky at all about this season. They are throttling the lesser competition and beating or being competitive against more talented programs. We could all see it coming (as could most smart football people around the country), maybe not to this extent in 2016, but MM is not viewed as a lucky, one year wonder. Also, this validates the job he did in SJSU. He has now PROVEN that he knows how to tear it down and build it back up.

One thing CU does have going for it, is that historically it is a top tier job. It would likely take a really big program to entice him to leave. Those programs know they have to make a splash at HC and I don't think HCMM is that level yet.

One thing CU does have going for it, is that historically it is a top tier job. It would likely take a really big program to entice him to leave. Those programs know they have to make a splash at HC and I don't think HCMM is that level yet.
People throw out Vandy and GT as possibilities because of his playing ties, but those are well below the big time status, right?

People throw out Vandy and GT as possibilities because of his playing ties, but those are well below the big time status, right?

I think there is some bad blood at Vandy too, with how they fired his dad. At this point in time I think Vandy and GT would be at most lateral moves anyway. Once CU is back to where it belongs, CU blows them out of the water.

Vandy is but GT isn't a bad destination for a coach. It can be grown into big time, attractive program.
Maybe "well below big time status" wasn't the right phrasing. S2S said it better... Those two are essentially lateral moves from CU at this point, with Vandy, IMO, being worse. Vandy will never have a shot at competing with Alabama, Florida, LSU, Auburn, etc. for an SEC Championship, but CU can absolutely compete year in, year out for Pac 12 Championships. GT does have a more reasonable chance in the ACC, but IMO, it's mostly due to the type of system they currently run. They aren't going to consistently out recruit UGA, Miami, Clemson or FSU, not to mention all the SEC schools in the area they are competing for recruits with.

Maybe "well below big time status" wasn't the right phrasing. S2S said it better... Those two are essentially lateral moves from CU at this point, with Vandy, IMO, being worse. Vandy will never have a shot at competing with Alabama, Florida, LSU, Auburn, etc. for an SEC Championship, but CU can absolutely compete year in, year out for Pac 12 Championships. GT does have a more reasonable chance in the ACC, but IMO, it's mostly due to the type of system they currently run. They aren't going to consistently out recruit UGA, Miami, Clemson or FSU, not to mention all the SEC schools in the area they are competing for recruits with.
Completely agree that Vandy and GT are at different levels. But I wouldn't sell GT too short. A quick glance at their wiki page shows they have 3 national titles (and one additional one shared that we won't recognize). Some guy named Heisman coached there. Plenty of conference titles. They do run an 'old-school' offense that is similar to Navy and Air Force. But that's Paul Johnson's thing. I hear the GT folks are getting tired of that O and the lack of D from Johnson's tenure. There's no reason why a qualified coach couldn't turn that program into a national powerhouse again. Tough competition, great school, more than adequate facilities and a storied history. Pretty good gig. I wouldn't say I worry about it, but I also wouldn't be shocked if HCMM had some attractiveness to the program from his past. Don't get me wrong, I think HCMM is in a great position at CU and I hope he sees it that way.

Completely agree that Vandy and GT are at different levels. But I wouldn't sell GT too short. A quick glance at their wiki page shows they have 3 national titles (and one additional one shared that we won't recognize). Some guy named Heisman coached there. Plenty of conference titles. They do run an 'old-school' offense that is similar to Navy and Air Force. But that's Paul Johnson's thing. I hear the GT folks are getting tired of that O and the lack of D from Johnson's tenure. There's no reason why a qualified coach couldn't turn that program into a national powerhouse again. Tough competition, great school, more than adequate facilities and a storied history. Pretty good gig. I wouldn't say I worry about it, but I also wouldn't be shocked if HCMM had some attractiveness to the program from his past. Don't get me wrong, I think HCMM is in a great position at CU and I hope he sees it that way.
No one under the age of 40 even realizes that GT has a football team. I've LITERALLY never watched a snap of one of their games.

Back