What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

KOA talking with Ringo...just referenced Nik's letter

KOA having a much more credible discussion then any other station...kudos to Logan.

I think the numbers make a compelling argument.

My main motivation was to get people to take notice, take football more seriously, and stop insulting us with a casual assumption that Embree would be back for 2013.

We needed to make it a public debate. You can't be a program at this level and not have pressure turned up when a season has been historically bad.

Now, this could result in a strong move that includes donors stepping up to pay the termination fees and back up a truck of money to get a powerhouse head coach in here.

But short of that, we will also have been successful if this shortens Embree's rope, forces major staff changes, increases institutional support for the athletics department, improves some organizational issues, and drives the need for facilities improvement.

Again, the reason I believe we need a new football coach is:

1. The 2012 class (including some grayshirts counted in 2013) form an acceptable foundation CU football can win with.
2. The 2013 class is not building on that momentum. In fact, it's backsliding due to the performance on the field.
3. The 2014 class will have trouble getting off the ground coming off this season without a major injection of excitement.
4. Hiring a new HC now could very well improve the 2013 class and set up a good 2014 class.
5. Following this model, CU would have reasonable talent and depth to start winning most of its games and being competitive every week.
6. From that next foundation level, there is an opportunity to become a special program again -- if the facilities project is completed by then (2014/2015 time frame).

I wish I could see this happening with Embree but I just don't see how it adds up.

I think the best case with retaining Embree is looking at:

1. A low-rated class in 2013 that fits the system and has some solid Pac-12 starters and hopefully a couple surprise gems.
2. A 2014 season with Dillon being a very special RS-Frosh QB who leads us to a 6 or 7 win season to put CU in a bowl game (entire OL returns, WR gets upgrades, RBs are a year more experienced, DTs are a year better, DEs get some new talent, DBs are a year more experienced, TE should be able to replace Kasa with the young talent developing, Orms/Smith play like seniors at S and Mosley develops).
3. That modestly successful 2014 season gives a recruiting bump similar to the Hawkins Independence Bowl year and CU closes a lot of talent during December bowl practices for a Top 25 class.
4. Facilities land, Dillon and others are even better in 2014, and this thing gets rolling.

The problem I'm having is that there is nothing on Embree's resume or in his current job performance that makes me trust that if we stick with him he has what it takes. Compounding this is that we know that we will have to replace coordinators (possibly all 3) in order to put the players in a good position to win football games and this is difficult to do if Embree is perceived as a coach on the hot seat. Firing him is actually the lower-risk option because of the predictable 2013 & 2014 recruiting bumps.

I guess we'll see how it plays out. And we'll keep fighting until a decision is made.

I think the numbers make a compelling argument.

My main motivation was to get people to take notice, take football more seriously, and stop insulting us with a casual assumption that Embree would be back for 2013.

We needed to make it a public debate. You can't be a program at this level and not have pressure turned up when a season has been historically bad.

Now, this could result in a strong move that includes donors stepping up to pay the termination fees and back up a truck of money to get a powerhouse head coach in here.

But short of that, we will also have been successful if this shortens Embree's rope, forces major staff changes, increases institutional support for the athletics department, improves some organizational issues, and drives the need for facilities improvement.

Again, the reason I believe we need a new football coach is:

1. The 2012 class (including some grayshirts counted in 2013) form an acceptable foundation CU football can win with.
2. The 2013 class is not building on that momentum. In fact, it's backsliding due to the performance on the field.
3. The 2014 class will have trouble getting off the ground coming off this season without a major injection of excitement.
4. Hiring a new HC now could very well improve the 2013 class and set up a good 2014 class.
5. Following this model, CU would have reasonable talent and depth to start winning most of its games and being competitive every week.
6. From that next foundation level, there is an opportunity to become a special program again -- if the facilities project is completed by then (2014/2015 time frame).

I wish I could see this happening with Embree but I just don't see how it adds up.

I think the best case with retaining Embree is looking at:

1. A low-rated class in 2013 that fits the system and has some solid Pac-12 starters and hopefully a couple surprise gems.
2. A 2014 season with Dillon being a very special RS-Frosh QB who leads us to a 6 or 7 win season to put CU in a bowl game (entire OL returns, WR gets upgrades, RBs are a year more experienced, DTs are a year better, DEs get some new talent, DBs are a year more experienced, TE should be able to replace Kasa with the young talent developing, Orms/Smith play like seniors at S and Mosley develops).
3. That modestly successful 2014 season gives a recruiting bump similar to the Hawkins Independence Bowl year and CU closes a lot of talent during December bowl practices for a Top 25 class.
4. Facilities land, Dillon and others are even better in 2014, and this thing gets rolling.

The problem I'm having is that there is nothing on Embree's resume or in his current job performance that makes me trust that if we stick with him he has what it takes. Compounding this is that we know that we will have to replace coordinators (possibly all 3) in order to put the players in a good position to win football games and this is difficult to do if Embree is perceived as a coach on the hot seat. Firing him is actually the lower-risk option because of the predictable 2013 & 2014 recruiting bumps.

I guess we'll see how it plays out. And we'll keep fighting until a decision is made.

That's exactly where I am.

I dunno, I think we're a couple of plays here and a few bad bounces there from turning those 60 point blowouts to 50 point blow outs.

You think these dumb**** coaches can win 3 games on next year's schedule?

These coaches, hell no. Two new coordinators who have actually done the job before should be able to squeeze out a win or three if the holdovers stay out of their way. These coaches should not have been interviewed, let alone hired.

He and Embo are about the same level recruiter it appears - but Hawkins was a better gameday coach, Yep

He and Embo are about the same level recruiter it appears - but Hawkins was a better gameday coach, Yep

So we finally found some coaches that Hawkins & Co. could "clinic"? haha.

The jokes on us. Sigh.

Last edited:
Back