What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Kobra Kai - It was about the Position Change

Well, where are all the minions who thought hawk was a genius for this move? F%$ked up stuff right there. Move him to fb and he's 3rd string? Great move guys,now he's gone, that worked out well.

With kai,and the trouble with a couple of polynesian players,cu's pipeline is going to go dry at this rate.

I said it was assanine fron the start and it was.

Nice job staff.

Now it's the " we have better players to play the position now" retort. Whatever,keep throwing freshman in there and see what happens.

Nice job staff.

Well, where are all the minions who thought hawk was a genius for this move? F% up stuff right there. Move him to fb and he's 3rd string? Great move guys,now he's gone, that worked out well.

With kai,and the trouble with a couple of polynesian players,cu's pipeline is going to go dry at this rate.

Nice job staff.

Now it's the " we have better players to play the position now" retort. Whatever,keep throwing freshman in there and see what happens.

Nice job staff.

Players come and go all the time at all schools. It's just the way it is. Yes, losing Kai is a huge loss, but it's over. It is tough and unfortunate, but I still believe it would have been a good move if it was given a fair chance. We never made it there.

At this point we can only hope for the best for Kai wherever he goes ('cept for some places of course :wink2:) and trust that other players on the team can fill in for wherever he will be missed. I agree that the staff made a mistake based on the sad results, but they tried to do what was best for him and the team. It didn't work out, but something will. As a fan I trust that things will be fine, we are BUFFS and we are GREAT!

We've got to stay positive! :thumbsup:

Well, where are all the minions who thought hawk was a genius for this move? F% up stuff right there. Move him to fb and he's 3rd string? Great move guys,now he's gone, that worked out well.

Nice job staff.

Nice job staff.

Here I am, one of the "minions" that supported the move.

While there is a certain element--and I'll lump you in with that crowd, syko, if you don't mind--to which the end justifies the means. I'll admit, there's value in results. Nonetheless, I would argue that the merit of a decision isn't always clarified by the results.

For instance, I would argue that President Kennedy's kneejerk reaction to the discovery of missiles in Cuba was more a product of his embarrassment in previous meetings with Khrushchev, than it was based on sound reasoning. In fact, a compelling arugment could be made that the American President placed counteless lives at risk on a stupid gamble. That war was somehow averted did not make the decision any more sound. But by your logic, syko, it was a good decision because it worked out.

Similarly, good decisions sometimes turn out poorly.

I think a compelling argument could be made that Maiva's move to FB would have benefitted both the team and the individual. He could have been a monster in that position.

And even though it turned out poorly, and we sadly lost a quality player, we still can't even pin Maiva's decision on the move. Consider the following:

1. We'll never know what would have happend if he'd remained at guard. He may have transferred regardless. He may have dropped to 3rd string guard next season...we don't know.

2. He was 3rd string at FB because he followed two players with more experience AND he missed much of Spring with academic issues. When the decision was made (with Maiva's concurrence), he wasn't experiencing academic issues.

The two players ahead of him would have graduated and the academic issues couldn't have affected the decision (due to the timeline), so your "3rd string" fullback argument carries no weight. It doesn't reflect poorly on the decision whatsoever.

3. "Insiders" on the pay sites claim that the personal issues are far larger than we understand and truly drove the decision. Again, we'll see where he eventually plays, because I agree that So. Cal. isn't significantly closer to HI.

4. You may accuse me of being a Coach Hawk minion, but I do believe that the staff maintains a unique insight to the needs of the team that we don't enjoy, because we don't experience, real-time, each and every day. Until proven otherwise I will continue to trust the staff.

But, Maiva's recent decision doesn't constitute proof, by any means. The staff's decision remains sound to my eyes.

Nice job staff.

Nice job staff.

i supported it. it did not work out for a lot of reasons. life goes on.

Maiva's departure is bummer. But at the end of the day, there was not a good fit with the program. Hawk's blue collar theme benefited Kai his freshman year, as he earned his right to play. In the process, he was a thrilling prospect.

But Kai's stock had fallen come the spring game. Hawk's contract makes the coach responsible for the academic standings, citizenship and competitive quality of the program.

Kai's offseason press included one freshman all American nod, one count of underage drinking, multiple missed practices, inclusion into Hawk's mentor circle, a controversial position change, limited playing time and an underwhelming show at the spring game.

I don't agree with syko pinning all this on Hawk. The premium on a Blue Collar work ethic cuts two ways with Kai. His drinking citation and academic performance jeopardized his on-field performance. In short, Kai was not bringing his lunch pail and fitting with Hawk's standards. Hawkins consistently promises not to play favorites, and put the best players on the field.

Kai had 2 strikes with the off field issues. Instead of sticking it out, Kai decided to bow out gracefully using the 'closer to family' card in the Boulder press, but sighted the position change as a major reason for leaving CU, as he looks for greener division 1 fields.

At the end of the day, Kai put Kai's needs in front of those of the CU coaches, Buffalo teammates and fans. It wasn't a good fit. Simple as that. If anything, I think Maiva and Hawk came to an agreement that the two should part ways. I admire both for manning up to the situation and getting on with their lives before any personal attacks, ill will, or negative press had a chance to fester. They split on the best terms possible.

It's best to sort this out sooner than later. Best wishes to Kai in the pursuit of his dreams. And best wishes to the OL and FB who show up, display character, keep up with their studies, and put CU in the chase for a title.

had the guy gotten any pt at fb in the spring game, i wonder if things would have worked out differently.

... seems stupid to me to take a frosh AA ol and move him to fb and then have him stand on the sidelines for virtually the whole time.

i supported the move b/c i like the idea of a punishing fb in a power running game, but this staff wasn't going to do that in any case, apparently. so, why move a guy and then not use him? it isn't like he'd see the field at fb in the shotgun offense they want to run.

finally, yeah, he was undersized for the ol, but he had heart, mobility, and toughness. it reminds me of another recent Buff--- if they had been here, would hawk and friends have moved jordan dizon back to safety after HIS great frosh year at lb? hmmm?

i am just saying...

had the guy gotten any pt at fb in the spring game, i wonder if things would have worked out differently.

... seems stupid to me to take a frosh AA ol and move him to fb and then have him stand on the sidelines for virtually the whole time.

i supported the move b/c i like the idea of a punishing fb in a power running game, but this staff wasn't going to do that in any case, apparently. so, why move a guy and then not use him? it isn't like he'd see the field at fb in the shotgun offense they want to run.

finally, yeah, he was undersized for the ol, but he had heart, mobility, and toughness. it reminds me of another recent Buff--- if they had been here, would hawk and friends have moved jordan dizon back to safety after HIS great frosh year at lb? hmmm?

i am just saying...

Easy, some wuss may neg rep you and call you a turd.....

Back