What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Lane Kiffin fired

Charlie - You disappoint me. I was sure you'd come with "USC takes its football seriously enough"

'Cause they do.

I disagree. CU should have done the same thing to Hawkins after the Cal game in 2010. When a guy is killing your program, you stop the bleeding as fast as possible.

Completely agree. What are they supposed to do? Wait until he gets back and break it to him over a round of golf at the club.

I disagree. CU should have done the same thing to Hawkins after the Cal game in 2010. When a guy is killing your program, you stop the bleeding as fast as possible.
That would have been inhumane. If we had left Hawk alone in Berkeley without his bags and IDs, he would have not been able to find his way home and would have become a homeless person, ranting about mantra and being abnormal. Then he would have been institutionalized and put undue stress on an already taxed mental health system. The DSM V would become obligated to include "Hawk Delusional Disorder," and so on.

• The Inside USC Twitter account has a pretty interesting account of the whole thing, which has the feeling more of a mob hit than a modern corporate termination of employment. I have done my best to paste it all in here, but formatting may be an issue. Posts are in reverse chronological order (most recent on top):

• InsideUSC@InsideUSC1h
    The usual suspects will also get mentioned today (Jeff Fisher, Jack Del Rio, Toby Nenias) as Lane Kiffin replacements #USC

Hmm... Maybe there is room for Kiffin as ST coach.

The only person I feel bad for in this whole cluster **** of a situation is Marquise Lee... The kid is so talented, but has had awful QB play this year, a horrendous coach and now he is injured.
He also has a $10 million insurance policy, so think he is going to be ok.

I can't believe they pulled him off the team bus and shot him, but it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. I would think orgeron coaches out the year and then they try to get del rio. A deep playoff run by the broncs could screw them up nicely.

Todd Graham should be preparing his resume, he's been at ASU for forever by his standards.

I know USC fans always wanted Brady Hoke when he was at SDSU, lets see if Haden will throw a lot of money at him to get him away from Ann Arbor.

Last edited:
Strange that they're so interested in Franklin. He has no West coast coaching history except for a 1-year stint at WSU.

Todd Graham should be preparing his resume, he's been at ASU for forever by his standards.

I know USC fans always wanted Brady Hoke when he was at SDSU, lets see if Haden will throw a lot of money at him to get him away from Ann Arbor.

Doubt they could pull that off, but Hoke at USC would be scary good.

Hiring Del Rio would suck for us Bronco fans, but I don't see him being successful in LA.

It's not going to happen, but Gruden would be hilarious.

He left Tennessee for the bright lights of LA, now those lights are shining on him in a way he didn't expect. He knew going in what the expectations were, SC isn't a place where they accept 7-5 and embarrassing bowl losses.

He is also leaving them with a nice fat check in his pocket for the rest of his contract, he won't suffer other than the bruises to his very large ego.

Marquis Lee knew as well going to SC that nothing was guaranteed. What happens to recievers at any school who end up playing with incompetent QBs or systems that don't highlight their talents? If Lee is as good as he and we think he is he will get a plenty of opportunity in the NFL.

I also fully expect USC to blow this coaching hire as well. They will be more worried about getting the biggest name than getting the best fit. More concerned about star power than who can do the best job.

The got very lucky with Pete Carrol, he turned out to be a guy who could work in the environment that is USC and get the most out of it. The odds of that happening again are fairly slim.

I also fully expect USC to blow this coaching hire as well. They will be more worried about getting the biggest name than getting the best fit. More concerned about star power than who can do the best job.

The got very lucky with Pete Carrol, he turned out to be a guy who could work in the environment that is USC and get the most out of it. The odds of that happening again are fairly slim.

Uh, I wouldn't count on a bad hire. They've been good for many more years than they have been bad. It took them 3 tries before they got petey but they'll keep shooting them until they get it right. USC has everything in place to succeed. Everything.

They are the west coast version of an sec team.

Southern Cal had him for quite a while. I think the stunt of "deflating the ball" should have been the nail in his coffin - he'd had so many odd (bad, unsportsmanlike, un-manly, CHILDISH) demonstrations before that. I didn't think he could possibly bring any honor to SoCal - and SoCal deserves VERY little anyway.

That he survived this long has been a point of chuckles and even cheers for all of SoCal's opponents. SoCal was no longer winning top recruits ONLY because Kiffin was so easy to use as a reason not to go there.

Uh, I wouldn't count on a bad hire. They've been good for many more years than they have been bad. It took them 3 tries before they got petey but they'll keep shooting them until they get it right. USC has everything in place to succeed. Everything.

They are the west coast version of an sec team.

Yep. There's absolutely no reason to believe they'll **** it up. Those people take their football seriously.

I think it's hilarious how they fired him. And appropriate, frankly. The guy was killing their program. Gotta send a message to the players, fans, boosters, etc.

I think it's hilarious how they fired him. And appropriate, frankly. The guy was killing their program. Gotta send a message to the players, fans, boosters, etc.

Is a Sunday afternoon PC announcing the firing and interim coach going to send a drastically different message?

Is a Sunday afternoon PC announcing the firing and interim coach going to send a drastically different message?
I suppose its a matter of opinion. I am basing this purely on my own thoughts about how I felt Hawkins should have been fired. I seriously thought he should have been fired on the sideline at Cal and told to figure out his own way home. I still feel that way.

Back