What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Larry Brown retiring from SMU

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member

My favorite basketball coach of all time. I'll miss him. I'm glad, though, that we won't continue to see SMU win every damn recruiting battle over the Buffs.

Goodbye, Larry. Thanks for the memories.

Excellent coach, one of the all-time greats!!! Absolutely no denying his talent and coaching acumen. I remember Chauncey coming to Denver from the Pistons and after the very first practice called out George Karl for not being structured and having in-bounds plays set. Chauncey recognized Larry Brown for that teaching discipline.

Terrible employee. Leaves programs and teams in ruins, and at each stop blames others for his departure. Classic narcissist.

Just wish we landed Harry Froling. Too bad Brown decides to leave after all the commits signed.

It's always an interesting debate as to whether this sort of thing is fair to the player. If I was Harry Froling, I might be pretty pissed off (unless Larry told him early on that planned on retiring; but somehow I doubt that's the case).

Just wish we landed Harry Froling. Too bad Brown decides to leave after all the commits signed.

Honestly, I think I make take Siewart over Froling. Both are very good, but Siewart's offensive game is better than Froling's.

Harry had a choice of coaches. Tad Boyle, a proven excellent coach and class act or Larry Brown, a proven great coach and cheater who, when Harry signed, was under investigation. Harry made the choice and now he has to live with it. And I've always liked Larry Brown. So I get Harry's choice.

Larry Brown coached both Kansas to a NCAA championship and the Pistons to a NBA title. It is not surprising that he beat Tad out for recruits. Do feel bad for Froling though as I'm sure there was no hint from Brown that he was retiring. Brown slashes and burns wherever he goes. Although even as a Knicks fan, I'm not mad at him for getting almost $30,000,000 from James Dolan for coaching one crappy year.

Last edited:
Before you give Larry Brown too much credit, is everyone aware that Harry Froling has two older sisters, Alicia and Keely, who play for SMU Women's team?

Before you give Larry Brown too much credit, is everyone aware that Harry Froling has two older sisters, Alicia and Keely, who play for SMU Women's team?
Yes. We are aware of that. At least everyone who followed his recruiting is.

Back