What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Larry Scott not happy with Bruce Benson

It's hard to respond to one someone who threatens you with allying with a megalomaniac. C'mon you guys can't with a straight face post dozens of messages proclaiming that Texass is the anti-Christ and then post that you'd fall at their feet and help blow yourself up instead of being a stand-up citizen of the conference that saved you from their clutches.

You guys just lack some confidence. Go out there and beat up CSU and Fraud State and we'll all feel better in the morning.

I hear you. What scares us about the way that UT operates is that it never ends. We may have the leverage right now to get them to accept a certain partnership with equal revenue sharing, balanced scheduling, offices in California, championship games at highest seeded team's home, etc., etc. They may very well come along with that.

What concerns us is that we see our Pac partnership as one that should be stable and a true cooperation of universities for the next hundred years. Texas isn't like that. It's not in their nature.

Will our next conference chairman be as strong and of the same philosophical bent as Larry Scott? How much influence will UT have in selecting that person? Will all of our university presidents always share a vision that is so strong it cannot be corrupted by Texas?

Every moment of every day, every time an issue comes up or there's a chance to raise one, UT will be lobbying to change things in ways that it thinks will give UT an advantage. That will never end. They will look to exploit every crack in the armor that they see. That is who they are. When you deal with the devil, the devil doesn't change. The devil changes you.

ou, okie state, and tech will follow ut's lead in lockstep, just like they do now.

actually, if i think about it, i should be more pissed at ou and okie state than i have been. if they hadn't defected from being loyal to the big 8 by agreeing to be one of ut's fluffers, the big 12 would probably still be around. ou left nu and CU alone to fight the texas cabal without them.

How many ways and with how many posters can allbuffs state the same thing, over and over, before we are understood by this surely brilliant cal fan?

ou, okie state, and tech will follow ut's lead in lockstep, just like they do now.

actually, if i think about it, i should be more pissed at ou and okie state than i have been. if they hadn't defected from being loyal to the big 8 by agreeing to be one of ut's fluffers, the big 12 would probably still be around. ou left nu and CU alone to fight the texas cabal without them.

Notice how MU, KU and OSU all had unprecedented success from kissing the ring? Don't discount for a second that the Bevo PR machine worked in-state media and high school coach connections to continually badmouth CU and NU in order to screw with our recruiting and the only two programs from the North that could pose a stopgap to UT's wishes.

Notice how MU, KU and OSU all had unprecedented success from kissing the ring? Don't discount for a second that the Bevo PR machine worked in-state media and high school coach connections to continually badmouth CU and NU in order to screw with our recruiting and the only two programs from the North that could pose a stopgap to UT's wishes.

Yup. remember that recruiting analysis you did Nik? Shocking how the only schools to benefit from their new Texass ties were KU and MU, while CU and NU got mysteriously locked out of Texass. Hell, we are doing better in UT post Big12 than we ever did while IN the big 12, and we are way worse of a program now.

How much you want to bet USC and UCLA won't do all that well with texass recruits?

Yup. remember that recruiting analysis you did Nik? Shocking how the only schools to benefit from their new Texass ties were KU and MU, while CU and NU got mysteriously locked out of Texass. Hell, we are doing better in UT post Big12 than we ever did while IN the big 12, and we are way worse of a program now.

How much you want to bet USC and UCLA won't do all that well with texass recruits?

link?

dan mccarney had success in Texas. KU did with the fat man and Chase Daniel got MU into the Lone Star State. the Pokes have always hit Texas hard.

C'mon it's not THAT bad. Here there is the Akbar/It's a trap! reference. There you get penises and boasts of prison sex. Sorta different...

That, my friend, is part of the Texas gift package; Shaggy Bevo.

They speak a language of their own.
Each thread must reference Aggies plus some combination of penis and oreface.

Example:

Shaggybevo cum trap Cal84 acts just like golden shower ***-aggie. He can shove a bag of dicks up up his sandy roastbeef clitoris.

sig: It ain't braggin' when you do it. Hook 'em

Great post Skiddy and the ironic part is that if a UT fan reads it the response will be "and what's your point?"

This is the attitude of texas. They do not respect you or anyone else and they believe that they are gods gift to football. They will always feel this way and they will always try to exploit the fact that Cal and every other conference member that "has very little weight to push around". They are also very good at this.

Just because they believe it doesn't make it so. If Texas dominance in football was preordained, then they wouldn't be in the position they are in, i.e. multiple AQ conferences invading their turf while they are in defensive mode.

Do know why the Big12 died (assuming it does)? Not because the Whorns are asses, not because the Aggies are jealous, and not because Nebraska and Colorado ran away. The Big12 died because their turf was too small economically. Too small to defend itself versus larger predators which emerged once CFB became a national game and hence a national BUSINESS. If the emergence of CFB as a powerhouse business had been delayed by another decade or two, the Big12 might have survived because its economic and population growth would have enabled it to catch up with the Big10, which is in an economically dying part of the country. But it didn't. Once the multi-billion dollar contracts began being signed, the Big12 was dead meat. Whorns fans can bellow all they want about Texas' football tradition and how Texas always wins in the end, but that just indicates they will be in the denial stage that much longer before they get to acceptance. It doesn't change the fact that their recruiting grounds are now on the dessert menu of every AQ conference.

Yes, they were very good at pushing around other schools within their little empire. But that's not going to stop their empire from being torn up and shared by all these interlopers is it?

My objective here isn't to convince all Buff fans to adopt my way of thinking. We share a civil exchange of ideas and thoughts and that's enough. Still want you guys to smoke Ohio State though.

We need to get this ship righted so when ut destoys the PAC we are in a position for a safe landing.

ummm, wut? CU and NU made some poor choices in hiring head coaches. I don't think you have to look any further than that, 'nik. LOL though on your conspiracy theory.

Look, I don't want Texas to wreck our cool new conference either.

But don't you think we tend to overstate how bad Texas really is? I'm pretty sure that if we just give them Czechoslavakia they will be happy enough to leave the rest of us alone.

But don't you think we tend to overstate how bad Texas really is? I'm pretty sure that if we just give them Czechoslavakia they will be happy enough to leave the rest of us alone.
:sad2:

Just because they believe it doesn't make it so. If Texas dominance in football was preordained, then they wouldn't be in the position they are in, i.e. multiple AQ conferences invading their turf while they are in defensive mode.

***disclaimer: I'm not old enough to remember the Big 8 inviting the Texas schools to form the Big12***

I want to agree with you, and with a lot of things you're saying, I do agree. A lot of our fans make UT sound like it's different. I think they're doing what all schools do (look out after themselves). That's it. They are. In fact, they should. If I was a Texas fan, I'd want them to. CU made this move to the PAC 12 because they were looking after themselves.

However, I think you're severely underestimating Texas' power. They have virtually unlimited resources. They have virtually unlimited funding. They have virtually unparalleled facilities. They are located right in the center of a fertile recruiting landscape and a fanbase that is rabid and unparalleled in our conference. They have every advantage. They will continue to build, to push the limits, and try to not just maintain, but increase the gap between them and everyone else. No school currently in the PAC12, including USC, can match UT. And it's not even close. That's not to say they'll field the best teams in the conference, but if you honestly think Cal will be competing with UT on an even playing field even with "equal revenue distribution" you couldn't be more wrong. You CANNOT put them in their place. They're place is at the top.

Texas has reached the top of the mountain. As much as it pains me to say this, I envy them. I wish our program could where they are, minus the douchiness of course. We as fans should all want our programs, our universities to be where they are.

One of the sweet things about being in their shoes is they get a LOT of sway. What they say matters. They're looking after themselves and trying to do what's right for them. We did too, we just weren't in nearly as powerful. We wanted to play in So Cal every year. Pssst, we got it.

Texas is STILL coming in from a powerful position. They will get whatever they want from somebody. They just have to figure out what it is they want. I think they honestly don't know what their next step should be, and this is a HUGE decision for them. You think they're on the defensive? They're trying to maximize power, profits, winning, and fan happiness, while trying to be unique and....Texas, so that they'll be able to continue to dominate. I think they're on the offensive. They can afford to hold out because they're so strong. They're seeing who will give them what. You think Larry Scott hasn't heard that the ACC will let them keep their network? You think he hasn't heard that the Big10 will let them keep their network if they don't get any Big10 network profits? you think Texas hasn't gone back to Larry Scott to ask him why they should choose the Pac over these other options? Texas listens to everyon'e first pitch, rejects it, and waits for their counteroffer. What is the Pac12 going to do for Texas? How can you better that offer to "land" Texas?

You said if Texas isn't willing to play nice, we'll move on. Well, they've already shown they're not playing nice. Why haven't we moved on? Why hasn't Larry Scott and the Pac12 said: "Hey Texas, go **** yourself?" In the 3,000 pages of possible expansion, I haven't heard that. Instead, it seems more like, "We're willing to work with you, we want you in. Put what you want on the table, we'll tell you what we want, and then we can work something out."

You think the Pac12 is on the offensive? Why are we always talking about accepting "tag along" schools just to get the other universities we're really targeting. That doesn't sound like being on the offensive at all. That sounds like desperation. That sounds like, "there are only 2 schools this side of the Mississippi we want (Texas and OU) and we'll do whatever it takes to get them. If we have to take OSU, if we have to take Tech, we'll do it even though those schools don't fit any of our criteria." WTF?

I personally hope we stay at 12 for a long while. But if 16 is in our immediate future, I am one of the few that actually wants Texas in the PAC. We currently have 4 open slots, and by my count we only have 1 school that really fits in the PAC12. UT. They fit all our criteria. I do NOT want OSU, and I will be soooo pissed if we accept Tech. I don't even really want OU, but as we all know, right now there are precious few options in the western US. OU is our best option right now, and if they're ready to move, I guess we should accept them. I'm hoping that we can stay at 12-13 for at least 5 years, and hopefully some of these western schools can pick it up and we'll have more options...we'll have more choices...there will be more schools that will be good for us (demand) and fewer spots (supply)...if that happens, THEN we'll be on the offensive.

Keep in mind, I'm in no way pro Texas. **** them. **** them long, and **** them hard. Tie them to the bed and leave them there so once you're done ****ing them they'll starve. I hope they choose to go Indy and fail miserably and all their fans turn on them, and all their money streams dry up, and they fade into nothingness. **** Texass. That said, it's no mystery why every conference is talking to them.

ummm, wut? CU and NU made some poor choices in hiring head coaches. I don't think you have to look any further than that, 'nik. LOL though on your conspiracy theory.

Started before that. One of their first moves was to eliminate partial qualifiers from the Big 12 to put CU, NU, OU and KSU at a disadvantage and change our recruiting strategies. Before that happened, we were all kicking UT's ass.

Here's something for our far-west friend to consider -- once done, there's no turning back.

If (big if) uTerus + 3 others are brought into the 12-PAC, it will set off a chain reaction. The b1g, the $ec, and either the bigLeast or the acc will all expand to 16 teams. 4 mega-conferences of 16 that will then have the membership and collective power to move to a playoff system. Bye bye bcs, and duck for cover, ncaa.

When that happens, the 4 mega's will be locked in. Do ya know what that means? No way to get rid of the cancer.

Texas Tech = Italy?

Do know why the Big12 died (assuming it does)? Not because the Whorns are asses, not because the Aggies are jealous, and not because Nebraska and Colorado ran away. The Big12 died because their turf was too small economically. Too small to defend itself versus larger predators which emerged once CFB became a national game and hence a national BUSINESS. If the emergence of CFB as a powerhouse business had been delayed by another decade or two, the Big12 might have survived because its economic and population growth would have enabled it to catch up with the Big10, which is in an economically dying part of the country. But it didn't. Once the multi-billion dollar contracts began being signed, the Big12 was dead meat. Whorns fans can bellow all they want about Texas' football tradition and how Texas always wins in the end, but that just indicates they will be in the denial stage that much longer before they get to acceptance. It doesn't change the fact that their recruiting grounds are now on the dessert menu of every AQ conference.

This sounds like the kind of thinking that is taught at the Haas School of Business.
Q: Do you know how to make a small fortune?
A: Give a Cal MBA a large one.

Your demographic argument fails to explain the success of the SEC. It's missing important business drivers like per viewer spend, quality of consumer experience, television distribution and viewership. Mostly, you are missing out on the quality of leadership within the Big 12 conference itself. The B12 is not aggressive, strategic, nor adept at executing a durable business plan. The B1G, SEC and P12 conference commissioners were better at establishing the conference brand and negotiating the TV deals. The B12 commissioner was/is a spineless lapdog who has failed in leveraging the assets of it's member schools.

This isn't some In N Out Burger business case on national franchise expansion. You have got to go deeper than population and GDP when providing the narrative on the demise of the Big 12.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, I was quite literally referring to the former Eastern Block nation.

I love the joke Wally, but I think your eastern bloc reference will confuse the masses. In the time frame you were referring to, there was no eastern bloc. Stalin was still busy killing all of his generals.

I posted this on Scout and will repeat it here. The idea of an east and west Pac-16 divisional setup sucks for UA/ASU/UU so badly that all 4 of us would be better off leaving the Pac-12 than allowing expansion in that way.

A better option than a Pac-16 east would be to get together with the remaining Big 12 and form a new conference that satisfies all our needs.

Colorado, Arizona, Arizona State and Utah from the Pac-12
Texas, Texas Tech, Baylor, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Missouri, Kansas, Kansas State and Iowa State from the Big 12

That's 12.

Then, we go to 16 by bringing in BYU (Utah rival), San Diego State and Fresno State (California markets).

If we had to go East/West, we'd be with the Arizona, California and Utah schools plus Texas Tech.

The Pac-8 can go back to 1970, since that seems to be what they want.

I posted this on Scout and will repeat it here. The idea of an east and west Pac-16 divisional setup sucks for UA/ASU/UU so badly that all 4 of us would be better off leaving the Pac-12 than allowing expansion in that way.

A better option than a Pac-16 east would be to get together with the remaining Big 12 and form a new conference that satisfies all our needs.

Colorado, Arizona, Arizona State and Utah from the Pac-12
Texas, Texas Tech, Baylor, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Missouri, Kansas, Kansas State and Iowa State from the Big 12

That's 12.

Then, we go to 16 by bringing in BYU (Utah rival), San Diego State and Fresno State (California markets).

If we had to go East/West, we'd be with the Arizona, California and Utah schools plus Texas Tech.

The Pac-8 can go back to 1970, since that seems to be what they want.

That is one fugly idea. Kill it with fire...

I don't care if Larry is not happy. He works for Bruce and all the other university presidents. Hopefully cooler heads prevail on the president level and the votes keep UT out.

That is one fugly idea. Kill it with fire...

It's leverage. I'd rather be in a Big 16 west with the Arizona, Utah and 2nd tier California schools than be in a Pac-16 east with the Arizona, Oklahoma, Utah and Texas or Kansas schools.

Most importantly, putting this on the table as viable is leverage against being stuck in a Pac-16 east.

Back