What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Larry Zimmer Hospitalized

He is already in the Colorado Sports Hall of Fame, Forever Buff Award winner, the Chris Schenkel (distinguished sportscaster award), and numerous sportscaster of the year awards. What would you add to that?
How about the Pulitzer Prize?

He is already in the Colorado Sports Hall of Fame, Forever Buff Award winner, the Chris Schenkel (distinguished sportscaster award), and numerous sportscaster of the year awards. What would you add to that?

Perhaps a fan award? Something coordinated by Allbuffs in conjunction with the AD.

The Buff Heart Lifetime Achievement Award or Buff Heart Citizen's Award. That way, you give one to a player and one to Zim. And you could present other great Buff Contributors in the future. It wouldn't have to be an annual award either. Probably a group like The Buff Club could sponsor it. It doesn't even have to have the word "Heart" in it. Just spit ballin'.

Last edited:
It is funny how some of my most vivid memories of CU football are of locker room interviews that Zim did over the years. A particular interview with Dusty Sprague and one with a place kicker, I think it was Aldrich, are particularly clear, while driving home on a cold and dark autumn evening. I hope to hear him on the Colorado Football Network again.

Just watched the recruiting luncheon and heard Mark say that Zim was doing well and was on schedule to go home on Feb 22. Great news!

It is funny how some of my most vivid memories of CU football are of locker room interviews that Zim did over the years. A particular interview with Dusty Sprague and one with a place kicker, I think it was Aldrich, are particularly clear, while driving home on a cold and dark autumn evening. I hope to hear him on the Colorado Football Network again.

When younger, I made a choice to not own a TV until I was in my 30's. He was and is an integral part of my love of CU football. So glad he has pulled through!

I'd encourage everyone to take a little time to listen/watch the luncheon video. A lot of good info on facilities and fund raising, plus the recruit part.

My karma to LZ. I can still remember his call at the end of the Nebraska game in '86...

LZ... "The clock is down to 48 seconds... 20 to 10 Colorado leads Nebraska! They have waited... a long time for this.

So many times, the Red Flood has come into Folsom Field and gone back across the border to the north a winner. It won't be this time."

PbP guy..." And Mike Marcus is just going to play a deep offensive safety...."

LZ... "And with 16 seconds left, Hatcher is just going to sit down with the ball... He does! The clock can run out now!!! Colorado has beaten Nebraska!!! The 3rd ranked team has gone down!!! Hatcher doing handstands and throwing the ball up... there it is!!! Three seconds, two seconds, one second.... Its over!!!

Colorado 20 Nebraska 10!!! Listen to it!!!"

Karma from all of us here at allbuffs to Larry Zimmer.

It's now on Youtube. Start at the 50 minute mark. I almost got it right. :smile2:

[video=youtube_share;v7kv0XZGrjw]http://youtu.be/v7kv0XZGrjw[/video]

When I showed up for Freshman orientation in the fall of 1987, I didn't know jack about the CU football team. They student tour guide was speaking of reverent pride over the up and coming Buffs and mentioned the 1986 NU win. I interrupted him and asked "Wait, Nebraska - but they are pretty good right?". He wasn't sure how to respond.

Then they went out and lost to the Ducks in the first game of the season and I didn't pay much attention again until 1988 - at that point, I was all in.

I am still bitter that I skipped that game because I was sure, 100 percent sure, that the Buffs were going to lose. Instead, I (sigh) went to a fencing tournament that I was scheduled to be in. That day was a life lesson, for sure.

I'll never forget that day. It's weird seeing TV footage from the game because I remember it so well from my vantage point in the student section. The last minute of game time was insane.

I'll never forget that day. It's weird seeing TV footage from the game because I remember it so well from my vantage point in the student section. The last minute of game time was insane.

I was there with a buddy of mine who was a Nub alum and he was mortified. Arhtur Wallker was a beast that day, as was Soupy Campbell.

Of course, my buddy and I being great BoSox fans, were also looking forward to the Sox closing out the Mets in the WS and breaking the Curse of the Bambino that night..............................................Hello, Bill Buckner!

It's now on Youtube. Start at the 50 minute mark. I almost got it right. :smile2:

[video=youtube_share;v7kv0XZGrjw]http://youtu.be/v7kv0XZGrjw[/video]

So cool to watch that again after all these years and hear a few of my high school teammate's names called. I was so proud sitting in my barracks in Germany watching this on AFN with my friends.

That video is awesome. I remember that day so well. That was the day I went from being a student who went to the games to being a Buff fan for life.

Will NEVER forget that game as long as I live, my sophomore year, we stormed the field and helped tear down the North goal post and carried the upright out of the stadium. No other game I have witnessed live in the stadium since comes close. (I wasn't at the 2001 game, but I'll take '86 because we hadn't beaten them in 2 decades at that point).

Back