What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Latest Chip Brown update - 8:30 am CST

Texas= 7-10 million per team, per year.

No way the pac-10 gets 20 million per team if Texas is not around.

True, but could they still make 13-15 million without Texas? I don't know, but if they could it's still a better deal than what they have currently.

The way I see it, this will come down to a staring contest between the Pac 10 and UT. If NU and Mizzou leave, the Pac 10 will become a more attractive option to Texas than cobbling together a reformed Big 12. So they can push for Baylor, but if the Pac 10 calls their bluff (which for their sake and ours NEEDS to happen) UT will have to back down.

Also, I don't think the CU/Utah option is as dead as they want us to believe. It's certainly a distant Plan B, but if the Big 10 lands ND and UT keeps the Big 12 together, I don't think the Pac 10 will be content to remain a 10 team conference and the only one without a title game.

Actually, I think it might be a good thing if CU got left out.

In the few revenue generating sports that exist, CU is not all that competitive. When it comes to football, CU is going to have a hard time competing in the Pac-10, just like it has a difficult time competing in the Big 12, because there just isn't enough interest and committment to winning at CU. CU already has a very tough time competing year in - year out with the likes of OU, Texas, Texas A&M, Nebraska, etc. - just imagine if you add in USC, UCLA, Oregon, Arizona, etc. to the mix.

CU would be much better off finding it's way into the MWC with schools like Air Force, CSU, New Mexico, etc. - teams that it could more realistically compete with.

What a crock of ****.

How quickly people forget that not long ago UT, OU and USC were, at a minimum, mediocre.

Actually, I think it might be a good thing if CU got left out.

I will never be brought around to this way of thinking. Being left out would be devastating to CU in all imagineable ways. If this were to happen, I would venture to say that CU's support would dwindle to the depths of CSU or even worse. The small amount of donations that already come in would be wiped out...impacting both sports and the school.

Just my opinion, but if we were left out the only thing I can imagine being worse is receiving the death penalty for football.

What a crock of ****.

How quickly people forget that not long ago UT, OU and USC were, at a minimum, mediocre.

And that the Big XII North (okay, members of the Big 8 at the time, but still...) placed FOUR teams in the top 10 of the final AP Football poll. Okay, that was 15 years ago, but this thing has a cylce.

Why settle just because we're ****ty at the moment?

This whole thing has happened at a very, very bad time. I wonder if firing Coach Hawkins at the end of last season would of demonstrated a committment to success that would have made our school a more credible candidate in the reshuffle.

The pro-argument for the Mountain West is defeatist. If we go to the Pac 16 we will have more (and more equal) money to compete with than we do now (less and more disparate). The timing of all of this could not be worse - our stock is at its lowest and UT's is at an all time high.

Also keep in mind, everyone, that the MWC isn't the last option in the unlikely event CU gets left out in the cold. There will be probably be four 16 team superconferences and you can get a pretty solid TV contract with 'Leftovers' like CU, KU, TCU, Utah and the Big East and ACC schools that will be left scrambling in all likelihood including big markets like Boston (BC), (The North East) UCONN and others. Not ideal travel wise, but an east/west thing can easily be set up like the Pac 16.

Also keep in mind, everyone, that the MWC isn't the last option in the unlikely event CU gets left out in the cold. There will be probably be four 16 team superconferences and you can get a pretty solid TV contract with 'Leftovers' like CU, KU, TCU, Utah and the Big East and ACC schools that will be left scrambling in all likelihood including big markets like Boston (BC), (The North East) UCONN and others. Not ideal travel wise, but an east/west thing can easily be set up like the Pac 16.

I think CU could be pretty competitive in a conference that included Utah, TCU, Houston, BYU, Colorado State, Fresno State, Boise State, KU, KSU, Air Force, etc.

There are 2 thing I know to be true and I'm sure the Pac 10 braintrust knows this too:

1. Texas isn't going to make it's decision on whether or not to join the Pac 10 based on if Baylor is invited.

2. The Denver market will make more money for the Pac 10 than the Waco market (a lot more).

If they can't see these facts, the Pac 10 is really headed for trouble and we may not be so upset about being passed over 5 years from now.

Chip Brown is just a propaganda machine for TX. TX is just trying to bully everybody into staying in the Big 12 so they can keep taking our lunch money. They don't want to go to the Pac.

This goes to show that athletics, and more specifically football, is driving this bus. If this kind of shifting occurs at anytime 5-20 years ago, CU is front and center because of our dominant football program. Hell, the Pac wanted us and rejected Texas in '94, for crying out loud. Furthermore, it seems that Boise State is at the forefront of any secondary shifts, and they may secure a MWC bid or better. See what 5-7 years of football greatness got them?

A question that was raised in one of the multiple threads on this subject, but that I have never heard an answer to, is whether these invites are contingent on every other team accepting. In other words, is it an all or nothing deal, or could CU accept while the Big12 south stays put (with Utah having a contingent invite to make the number of teams joining the P10 even)?

I think CU could be pretty competitive in a conference that included Utah, TCU, Houston, BYU, Colorado State, Fresno State, Boise State, KU, KSU, Air Force, etc.

After seeing the trouble Kansas is currently in (KSU holding them back), I'd be very reluctant to join a conference with CSU unless we have no other options.

Also, I don't think the CU/Utah option is as dead as they want us to believe. It's certainly a distant Plan B, but if the Big 10 lands ND and UT keeps the Big 12 together, I don't think the Pac 10 will be content to remain a 10 team conference and the only one without a title game.

A question that was raised in one of the multiple threads on this subject, but that I have never heard an answer to, is whether these invites are contingent on every other team accepting. In other words, is it an all or nothing deal, or could CU accept while the Big12 south stays put (with Utah having a contingent invite to make the number of teams joining the P10 even)?

Personally, I don't think anyone will be leaving the Big 12 unless it blows up. The exit penalties are a huge stumbling block here. Who's going to pay those if we leave by ourselves? We certainly can't afford it. Do you think the other Pac 10 schools want us that badly that they'll foot the bill? I'm really inclined to think that we aren't going anywhere unless it is as part of a block that implodes the Big 12.

I am inclined to agree with the Lt. Colonel.

If CU was proactive in working to combine the leftover north and the MWC, we could have a pretty solid conference (especially if Boise comes on board) in which CU could likely be the key influential piece. Denver would be the geographical center of the conference and Invesco would be a logical locale for the championship game. Most of all, CU could compete.

The landscape of college football has changed, just look at the national champs the past dozen years, they are all "haves". I just don't think CU has the support of the administration or alumni backing to consistently compete with OU, UT, USC, etc. Frankly, if I'm going to sit in Folsom every other weekend, I would like to see competitive games and I would like to qualify for a bowl most years.

Even if CU gets cut out of the Pac 10, if they are proactive in creating something, I think the potential is there to create something of substance.

Personally, I don't think anyone will be leaving the Big 12 unless it blows up. The exit penalties are a huge stumbling block here. Who's going to pay those if we leave by ourselves? We certainly can't afford it. Do you think the other Pac 10 schools want us that badly that they'll foot the bill? I'm really inclined to think that we aren't going anywhere unless it is as part of a block that implodes the Big 12.

The exit fees weren't a problem a month ago before UT even entered the picture. Most people here were of the opinion that it would be ok to trade two years of half the TV revenues now for a much bigger payday later.

I am still of that opinion.

I think this is contingent on Texas, the other 5 will agree if Texas does.

Actually, I think we would. It seems most CU supporters want this move to happen, and even more want it to happen if we get away from Texas.

We're in a bad way right now, but allegedly Bohn was able to scrape together enough to pay Hawk's buyout and I have to believe that money (and more) would be around if it helped this move happen. It might be difficult for a couple years, but if it's still the right move long-term I think it's entirely possible we would find a way.

If CU was proactive in working to combine the leftover north and the MWC, we could have a pretty solid conference (especially if Boise comes on board) in which CU could likely be the key influential piece. Denver would be the geographical center of the conference and Invesco would be a logical locale for the championship game. Most of all, CU could compete.

The landscape of college football has changed, just look at the national champs the past dozen years, they are all "haves". I just don't think CU has the support of the administration or alumni backing to consistently compete with OU, UT, USC, etc. Frankly, if I'm going to sit in Folsom every other weekend, I would like to see competitive games and I would like to qualify for a bowl most years.

Even if CU gets cut out of the Pac 10, if they are proactive in creating something, I think the potential is there to create something of substance.
The only positive that I could see in being in a reformed Big 12 would be that it would (at least temporarily) still have an automatic BCS bid, and we would have a better shot at it (I could see the BCS taking it away eventually though).

When was the last time CU was proactive about anything since the scandal? We've been stuck in reactive mode for what seems like forever.

It is absolutely mind bottling that the Pac-10 would even entertain dropping a top 20 TV market for a mediocre school in a small TV market that they would already own with UT. Or that UT would really act against their own best interests if they had to to make it happen. But I've learned to never underestimate the ability of Texass to **** things up for everybody else in order to get what they want.

Right now, though, that might all be academic if Notre Damn decides to go to the Big Televen. If that happens, I can believe the talk that the Big really twelve but still calling themselves ten would stop right there, wouldn't offer to take in Nebraska and Mizzou, which would hold the Big XII together and would then lead the Texass schools to stay. At that point the question becomes, what does the Pac-10 do? They still want to get to at least twelve in order to have a championship game. I'm not seeing a better option for them at that point than CU/Utah. Although it would be funny as hell to see them turn around and offer CU and the Nubs as a package deal, Dr. Tom tell Dan Beebe to **** off, and Texass be left in a fuskerless Big XII after all... :lol:

... the conference members in the pacific time zone have to get their states to switch to move to the central time zone so that Texas fans don't have to stay up so late to watch the Horns, and Arizona be re-named Aritejas, California be re-named Calitejas, Oregon re-named Oretejas and Washington re-named Bush.

That is great stuff. May I have permission to plagiarize this on my Rick Perry twitter page? I have a couple of followers now, so I feel obligated to come up with some new material.

That is great stuff. May I have permission to plagiarize this on my Rick Perry twitter page? I have a couple of followers now, so I feel obligated to come up with some new material.

I'm not sure you know what "I" means, Stampy.:lol::lol::smile2:

Have at it. Clean it up a bit, though. That first part's especially clunky. :lol:

Back