What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Lawrence Phillips - NU poster child gets 10 years

I have zero pity for him. I don't care if he "gets it together" or not. He's human garbage, and I try to spend as little time as possible concerning myself with people like that.

I didn't say I have pity for him. I do wish that he would stop being human garbage, so that he refrains from hurting or killing anybody (whether in prison or not).

Stranger things have happened.

I can think of multiple reasons why killing your cell mate in prison may be your best option of survival at any given time, even if the long term repercussions mean you spend the rest of your life there.

I suspect that few of us can truly relate to prison life.

I realize the NU hate is strong here, but I'll reserve judgement until more info comes out.
Are you serious? Are you saying you've never done time?

And Phillips had every opportunity to avoid it.

You can talk about his background and other factors but he also had a chance to get a paid for education, he had an NFL signing bonus, he had coaches that tried to keep him out of trouble. His choices are what put him where he is and will be.

Wish there was a way to keep these things from happening but I feel a lot more for the people who didn't have his opportunities.

^
that
+1

The guy was a tremendous talent. His life was and is a terrible waste. I hope he gets it together.

We can all see why Osborne took a risk on him. I could see McCartney taking a risk on him like he did on some others. Hoping to guide him away from the bad things he did and had done to him. Hoping that football would keep him in line. He created a lot of headaches for Osborne.

Sad story.
funny..... I'm an NU fan but I see this 180 degrees opposite. I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND why TO did take the chance on him let alone giving him a second chance after assaulting a woman. or hiding a gun, or shaming a rape victim (allegedly), or having gang members on his team.... seems like a very steep price to pay for a oblong glass orb doesn't it? I turn more Blue (Creighton and the Creighton way) and less red with each passing year.

Your heroes turn out to be assholes
And the light in the tunnel that you're chasing is a train
The singer's in key, the guitars in tune
But the song is still slipping away

Then slowly nothing else matters
As the white and the black become gray

Shooter Jennings

Last edited:
A) Phillips was an incredible player
2) he is a huge reason they won the NC that (instead of us)
D) Tom Osbourne sold his sole for that team
iv) I (sadly) would accept the same at CU right now*
11) I recommend they put Phillips and Carruth in the same cell. See what happens.

* what I mean is that, I would accept some troubled players who had previously not gotten themselves into trouble but who after the fact (NC) turned out to be raging assholes. I look back at 94 and don't think "hey, Nebraska should forfeit their championship because Lawrence Phillips turned out to be a murderous prick." I do look at FSU and say they should forfeit theirs because of Winston. That's the difference I guess.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11) I recommend they put Phillips and Carruth in the same cell. See what happens.

* what I mean is that, I would accept some troubled players who had previously not gotten themselves into trouble but who after the fact (NC) turned out to be raging assholes. I look back at 94 and don't think "hey, Nebraska should forfeit their championship because Lawrence Phillips turned out to be a murderous prick." I do look at FSU and say they should forfeit theirs because of Winston. That's the difference I guess.

Isn't that the argument though? Phillips did a lot of **** during his time at kNU it was just covered up and that might have done more damage than if he had gotten in trouble earlier and that is on TO.

From what I remember, he did the stupid football player crap. Not murder. I could be way off. It was the 95 season that he went off the deep end.

No biggie, pretty sure he had a Nike contract.

Widespread Panic has really ****ed you up.

This would have been a better choice...

The judge knew that he was full of **** and he gave him twenty five years
And now his eyes are full of tears

One night in jail it was getting late
He was butt-raped by a large inmate, and he screamed
But the guards paid no attention to his cries

But that's the way it had to be
They locked him up and threw away the key
Well, I can't take pity on men of his kind
Even though he now takes it in the behind

From what I remember, he did the stupid football player crap. Not murder. I could be way off. It was the 95 season that he went off the deep end.

So, dragging your "girlfriend" (fellow NU athlete) down three flights of stairs by her hair after assaulting her and carrying a gun used in a crime is just "stupid football player crap"?

You are way, WAY OFF!

In contrast to Phillips, Carruth was a model citizen in his four years in Boulder. Quiet, no trouble, got decent grades, got his degree....he snapped after he went pro.

So, dragging your "girlfriend" (fellow NU athlete) down three flights of stairs by her hair after assaulting her and carrying a gun used in a crime is just "stupid football player crap"?

You are way, WAY OFF!

In contrast to Phillips, Carruth was a model citizen in his four years in Boulder. Quiet, no trouble, got decent grades, got his degree....he snapped after he went pro.

That's exactly my point. That was 95 after the first natty. After the g-friend drag, then boot his ass.

Back