What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

LEAST Favorite Moments as a Buff Football fan.....

Now that I've had time to think about it ... there are no ties, there is no comparison.

Hands down the worst moment for me as a Buffs fan was the 1990 Orange Bowl loss. Jeff Campbell's fake FG getting stopped on the goal line before halftime, right up to the final gun.

All the stupid Husker stuff is baby crap compared to that one. That one-yard short robbed us of one for the ages ... one of the great college football teams ever. Undefeated with OOC drubbings of Texas, Illinois and Washington.

That would've been one for the ages.

5. Montana state- horrible loss

4. Losing to csu 41-14 in 99, how shameful was that?

3. Losing to texas 70-3 in big 12 championship

2. 1994, Losing to nebraska with all that talent, horrible game day coaching by mac in that one.

1. 1989-90 National championship game. CU should have had a 17-0 lead at half, that was tough to take.

****, would have to agree with all of that.

First Orange Bowl loss to Notre Dame by far.... My neighbor was a huge ND fan and I could here them celebrating, I was just a kid, but it still pissed me off lol. I think we should have won both of those games by double digits, turnovers killed us.

I remember Bienemy running rampant, about to score, and bounces the football off his right trunk-leg. The game turned after that, as I recall.

Do you guys remember who the sideline reporter was for that Orange Bowl?

None other than Orenthal James Simpson.

I went down to Miami for that game, and a bunch of us stayed in the team hotel the night before (yes, New Years Eve night). OJ was doing some kind of pre-game promo in the parking lot. We opened up the window and started yelling at him "HEY, OJ!!!!, UP HERE!!!!!".

The glass was mirrored, so he had no idea where the noise was coming from, so he kind of looked up, waved in the general direction of the hotel, and that was it.

A few hours later, we were driving on one of the highways that lead into town from the airport area and there was a dead guy on the side of the highway.

OJ... Dead guy.... Buffs lose... coincidence?

Sacky, OJ was in our lockerroom after the game, I shook his hand and he said something like "tough one, huh?"

The gloves seemed to fit then...:wow:

Sacky, OJ was in our lockerroom after the game, I shook his hand and he said something like "tough one, huh?"

The gloves seemed to fit then...:wow:
He was great in the Naked Gun Trilogy though. Just sayin'. :smile2:

Zach Wiegert-OT- 95-98 Rams, 99-02 Jags, 03-06 Texans
Brendan Stai-OG- 95-99 Steelers, 00 Jags, 01 Lions, 02 Redskins
Rob Zatechka-OG- 95-97 Giants. Quit football for medical school
Joel Wilks-OT- DNP
Aaron Graham-C-96-99 Cardinals, 01 Radiers, 02 Titans
Christian Peter-DT- 97-00 Giants, 01 Colts, 02 Bears

Obviously a few of them had some good years in the league. You'd think if they were on roids in college they would've bombed out or gotten caught in the NFL, not had 5+ year careers. As far as the rest of our d line, I'm not really sure why they never made it. Both D ends were ridiculously fast and athletic. Connealy as the other DT was just a tough farm kid with good size.
Actually, I have to side with you on this. I think the Steroid "era" ended in the mid to late 80's. I also think it was bad everywhere. I don't think the teams in the 90's had those issues. Crap, the two years I started, I was "randomly" tested about three or four times a year with some old dude standing in the stall watching me take a leak. Same organizations that Wiegert and Zatecha had to pee for.

I have to say the alleged scandal years was my least favorite.

I was living in Indy at the time. My boss had a great time in emailing me ESPN links whenever "breaking" news occurred. I would just sit there and steam. We also should take into account that she is a huge WNBA fan. It still pisses me off to even type this out. Every morning, a new email.

On the other hand I do remember during the scandal period, I was walking my dog in the neighborhood and a high school kid stopped me to ask me about CU (since I was wearing a buffs sweatshirt).

It all balances out.

The scandal years pretty much sucked, with all of the feminazis raking football players over the coals when not one single CU player ended up being charged with anything.

That 89 Orange Bowl was pretty frustrating. We should have blown ND off the field.

But my least favorite was watching Koy Detmer lying on the turf at Folsom in 1995, after tearing his ACL on a non-contact injury on that freakin astroturf. We could have won the NC that year, and to have a really, really promising season get derailed like that was pretty hard. Especially since Koy was one of my favorite players in CU history.

When those Longwhorns barbequed and ate Rusty
When those CSewe and aNUs fans call us Puffs or sCUm
When that ass hole in numbraska hung a banner over the interstate saying 'Sal is Dead. Go Big Red."
When Lisa Simpson and Katie Hnida became the public face of alleged rape, accusing no one, thereby indicting everyone
When Chuck Fairbanks nearly bankrupted the athletic department
When BJax and Lionel Harris were arrested for armed robbery and when Rae Carruth was convicted of murder
When Ward Churchill wrote about 'Little Eichmans', Betsy Hoffman defined a 'term of endearment' and Coach Mac took to preaching about what was 'an abomination'
When Astronauts Kalpana Chawla and Ellison Onizuka didn't make it back.

Zach Wiegert-OT- 95-98 Rams, 99-02 Jags, 03-06 Texans
Brendan Stai-OG- 95-99 Steelers, 00 Jags, 01 Lions, 02 Redskins
Rob Zatechka-OG- 95-97 Giants. Quit football for medical school
Joel Wilks-OT- DNP
Aaron Graham-C-96-99 Cardinals, 01 Radiers, 02 Titans
Christian Peter-DT- 97-00 Giants, 01 Colts, 02 Bears

Obviously a few of them had some good years in the league. You'd think if they were on roids in college they would've bombed out or gotten caught in the NFL, not had 5+ year careers. As far as the rest of our d line, I'm not really sure why they never made it. Both D ends were ridiculously fast and athletic. Connealy as the other DT was just a tough farm kid with good size.

Maybe he was thinking of guys like Rimington, Steinkuhler, Behning Noonan, and Traynowitz? I'd imagine that you're teams in the mid 90's were about as clean as anybody else, but those guys in the 80's kept getting drafted in the first round, sometimes really high, and then did absolutely nothing in the pros. The story at the time was that they were just weightlifting freaks, but in retrospect....

Also, if you're assuming that guys get caught for steroids in the pros even now, that might be a little naive. For all I know the pros are clean now, but its not exactly a given.

as I am not first and foremost a Buff fan.... this is my #1 and no others after. All the others just seem to do with football games, players, scandals and such and not the loss of life.

Maybe he was thinking of guys like Rimington, Steinkuhler, Behning Noonan, and Traynowitz? I'd imagine that you're teams in the mid 90's were about as clean as anybody else, but those guys in the 80's kept getting drafted in the first round, sometimes really high, and then did absolutely nothing in the pros. The story at the time was that they were just weightlifting freaks, but in retrospect....

Also, if you're assuming that guys get caught for steroids in the pros even now, that might be a little naive. For all I know the pros are clean now, but its not exactly a given.
You'll never hear me say the guys of the 80's weren't as dirty as they come. I think that NU was just one of the first to have it pretty much program wide while others only had a few on it. The only place you wouldn't have found guys on them in the 80's was KSU.:smile2:

When those Longwhorns barbequed and ate Rusty
When those CSewe and aNUs fans call us Puffs or sCUm
When that ass hole in numbraska hung a banner over the interstate saying 'Sal is Dead. Go Big Red."
When Lisa Simpson and Katie Hnida became the public face of alleged rape, accusing no one, thereby indicting everyone
When Chuck Fairbanks nearly bankrupted the athletic department
When BJax and Lionel Harris were arrested for armed robbery and when Rae Carruth was convicted of murder
When Ward Churchill wrote about 'Little Eichmans', Betsy Hoffman defined a 'term of endearment' and Coach Mac took to preaching about what was 'an abomination'
When that ass hole in numbraska hung a banner over the interstate saying 'Sal is Dead. Go Big Red." Huh, now it was along the interstate where that ass hole hung the banner and all this time I was thinking it was at a basketball game in Lincoln. BTW did you see the banner and if so where was it? Or is this one of those that nobody really seems to know but it sounds good anyway?

When that ass hole in numbraska hung a banner over the interstate saying 'Sal is Dead. Go Big Red." Huh, now it was along the interstate where that ass hole hung the banner and all this time I was thinking it was at a basketball game in Lincoln. BTW did you see the banner and if so where was it? Or is this one of those that nobody really seems to know but it sounds good anyway?

Ahem. Sports Illustrated.

Actually your "fans" are still saying "Sal is Dead, Go Big Red." Read this nice little thread for a few examples of how "classy" nebraska fans are:
http://redout.org/ipb/index.php?showtopic=29221&pid=375536&mode=threaded&start=#entry375536

Pretty hard to say its a myth when your fans turned a pretty despicable act by one Nebraska fan into a slogan.

Actually your "fans" are still saying "Sal is Dead, Go Big Red." Read this nice little thread for a few examples of how "classy" nebraska fans are:
http://redout.org/ipb/index.php?showtopic=29221&pid=375536&mode=threaded&start=#entry375536

Pretty hard to say its a myth when your fans turned a pretty despicable act by one Nebraska fan into a slogan.
Bwaaahaaahaaa! So you're one of the unnamed lurkers over there? Make yourself known like 96 buff and Miamibuffs. It's a hell of a lot of fun on a board where you can say whatever you want. The posters on this board are always complaining about NU boards being too positive/delusional. Come see what some real fans are all about. You better grow some thick skin though.

Bwaaahaaahaaa! So you're one of the unnamed lurkers over there? Make yourself known like 96 buff and Miamibuffs. It's a hell of a lot of fun on a board where you can say whatever you want. The posters on this board are always complaining about NU boards being too positive/delusional. Come see what some real fans are all about. You better grow some thick skin though.

Actually, I don't go over there at all, I just googled "Sal Aunese" and the hate just flowed. I figured Redout was sort of, shall we say, unusual?

I'm over there too. Some of the old-timers get a little too cranky in the offseason.

"Sal is dead" signs were posted in 92 as well. And yes, I witnessed one first hand. Our RV full of drunk idots stopped to remove the sign which was posted just below the "Welcome to lincoln" sign.
Well Walrus if you saw it, I'll take your word on it. I for one was not very happy when I heard about the sign which like I said before I thought was at the basketball game in Lincoln. Now I'm going to turn the tables on ya. If I remember right some cu fans were talking pretty disparagingly and degrading about NU QB Brooke Berringers death from his airplane accident. Pretty sad when a few fans have to stoop that low from two schools that are competing against each other. NOT ALL but just a d#mn few.

The posters on this board are always complaining about NU boards being too positive/delusional. Come see what some real fans are all about. You better grow some thick skin though.

Well Walrus if you saw it, I'll take your word on it. I for one was not very happy when I heard about the sign which like I said before I thought was at the basketball game in Lincoln. Now I'm going to turn the tables on ya. If I remember right some cu fans were talking pretty disparagingly and degrading about NU QB Brooke Berringers death from his airplane accident. Pretty sad when a few fans have to stoop that low from two schools that are competing against each other. NOT ALL but just a d#mn few.

Just curious: Has there been a Least Favorite Moments-like thread on an nu board? If so, what was posted? Are nu fans capable of self-reflection when behaviors are not representive of the "classiest fans in football"?

I admittedly don't have much time or patience to lurk on redout or huskerpedia. But if either of you were to link a thread where nu fans provide an inventory of shameful nu moments, I'd be interested in seeing that.:thumbsup:

Just curious: Has there been a Least Favorite Moments-like thread on an nu board? If so, what was posted? Are nu fans capable of self-reflection when behaviors are not representive of the "classiest fans in football"?

I admittedly don't have much time or patience to lurk on redout or huskerpedia. But if either of you were to link a thread where nu fans provide an inventory of shameful nu moments, I'd be interested in seeing that.:thumbsup:

I can' see prairie fire's posts unless somebody quotes him. He clearly did something to join my ignore list of three. I find it odd, therefore, that he/she would take the high road here.

When prairie fire says some CU fans were less than appropriate following Brook Berringer's untimely death, I don't doubt it. Bad fans root for all teams.

Note, however, that I don't challenge prairie fire's assertion. In prairie fire's previous quote, he suggested that the "Sal is Dead" event was fabricated by CU fans. Oddly, as Skidmark posted, it was referenced in Sports Illustrated. How self-righteous can a fan be?

Really? Do you have any proof that CU fans talked sh*t about Brook Berrenger, like you asked us for? Or is it just a story you got from HuskerBlueDevil on Huskerpedia? It still amazes me that any story you can concoct about CU fans gets instant credibility in your own minds, but stuff that your fans pull that is way worse is never believed, even when we supply proof (see SI story linked above).

But like I pointed out, Nebraska fans have been saying "Sal is Dead, Go Big Red" for the last 19 years. I still see Nebraska fans trashing Sal Aunese and Bill McCartney's daughter on husker message boards, usually right after congratulating themselves on being "the classiest fans in college football" and discussing how classless KSU, MU, CU etc. are.

Bottom line: Nebraska fans are not classier than CU fans. You are not more knowledgeable than CU fans. Now insert the names of other Big 12 schools and repeat.

Actually, I don't go over there at all, I just googled "Sal Aunese" and the hate just flowed. I figured Redout was sort of, shall we say, unusual?
Unusual would be an understatement. You won't find delusional fans, just ones that'll rip you a new one just for fun. Best board I've ever been on.

Back