What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Legit question: Are we better than last year?

It's inly been the road games this year to where they've given little effort and quit early on

Sent from a red light

i just can't understand why you would bother going out on the field if you are not going to give it your all.

In Tini's defense, that CSU victory is his Super Bowl. That guy loves to hate on the local rivalry.
The other conference losses, specially those on the road don't count because they are on TV, kind of like EA Sports.

In Tini's defense, that CSU victory is his Super Bowl. That guy loves to hate on the local rivalry.
The other conference losses, specially those on the road don't count because they are on TV, kind of like EA Sports.
You'll have to forgive me for despising the school and fanbase after growing up with their bull**** on a everyday basis but no, it's not my super bowl.

i just can't understand why you would bother going out on the field if you are not going to give it your all.
Neither do I, each game is a gift and should be treated that way

I'm sure you realize how little consolation that is.
I do

Can't argue about the first few series. Our guys looked lost on both sides of the ball.

A small positive but significant for me though was that even after it was obvious that the game was gone early and ASU did take the foot off the gas our kids did put out some effort. I saw a different response than we saw last year.

Granted it didn't make any difference, we got killed either way but at least I am seeing some attitude changes.

We are going to have some more ugly games before the end of this year. I don't like it but thats the reality. I am more concerned with how we handle those games this year at this point.

I guess I'm missing how this was different. We flew down there, bent over, and once down by over 40 we held it even in the second half against their 3rd stringers. That was the story of last year on the road, too. Even Fresno last year scored a mere 14 in the second half.

We're improved. Continue to be absolutely awful on the road, but nonetheless improved with a few glimmers of hope.

It will be funny to see this thread change after we win by 2+ scores next week...

Because he isn't giving up on the coaching staff of 5 games?

Rather than stress about underperforming or unmotivated players, or starting to worry about the coaches, it's much more mentally healthy and reality-based to just admit that the CU roster has very few BCS l players who would be in the two-deep on most BCS teams that will finish the season with 6-6 or better records.

Hence the mystery is solved as to why the Buffs are in games against CSU and FCSers, yet oddly outclassed against OSU, OR and ASU.

The biggest difference in quality between this year and last year is Paul Richardson being on a field. Any improvements on the offensive end can (at least) be attributed to him.

Last year it was apparent we were a team that wouldn't have had a winning record in the FCS. This year I think we could go to the FCS playoffs and hang with all of them. So to reiterate our coaching has taken us from an average FCS team to a good one. We do not belong in the Pac 12 and I don't think we will be able to catch up with the elite programs during the rest of this decade.

The premise here is whether or not the Buffs are better than last year.
Go start another thread if you want to tee up a discussion about giving up on the staff.

Nah, I think I'll talk about it in the thread where it happened...

Nah, I think I'll talk about it in the thread where it happened...

What are you talking about?
One would have to be on board with the new coach before one can give up on him. I've consistently stated I'm in a wait and see mode.
And I don't see anyone else giving up.

MM's first San Jose St team won one game and was in even worse shape than CU. 2 years later they won 11. The first year in a coach's tenure is the least meaningful. Get us a couple more wins this year and continue the rebuild.

MM's first San Jose St team won one game and was in even worse shape than CU. 2 years later they won 11. The first year in a coach's tenure is the least meaningful. Get us a couple more wins this year and continue the rebuild.

Safe Harbor: Prior results are no guarantee of future performance.

No one is saying its a guarantee, but all this freaking out after half the season is dumb. MM is very well respected by coaches and has plenty of experience in dealing with schools with tough admission standards (Duke) and what it takes to change a culture (SJSU). MM will win here.

Sent from a red light

Last edited:
Lets see...Oregon State is 5-1 (beat Utah), Oregon is 6-0 (Washington only one to play them tougher than CU) and ASU is 4-2 (Lost to Stanford and **** the bed against ND).....all 3 were ranked at some point this year but yeah....this coaching staff isn't getting it done compared to Jon Embree and his band of coaching wizards. We are in much MUCH better hands than we have been since CU got robbed from the BCS after the Nebraska beat down.

No one is saying its a guarantee, but all this freaking out after half the season is dumb. MM is very well respected by coaches and has plenty of experience in dealing with schools with tough admission standards (Duke) and what it takes to change a culture (SJSU). MM will win here.

Sent from a red light

No matter how you slice it, watching the team you love getting curb stomped by three conference foes in three consecutive weeks sucks. There is a difference between freaking out and being sorely disappointed. You go ahead and rationalize this season any way you want. But throwing out rationalizations and excuses is just that.

And Jon Embree was considered a horrible hire from the national media and well, they were 100% correct

It's too early to tell if MacIntyre can turn CU around. He may do no better than Fairbanks. He may bring CU back to the top 25. He may fall somewhere inbetween. By all means have faith the respect MacIntyre has earned. Lets hope that translates into a good recruiting class and a signature win sooner than later.

And year 1 is the least indicative of the coaching staff's future results. How many times have we seen some coach come in and light it up in year 1 and then end up flaming out in the next few years. I'm ready for some wins, but I think MM is building the foundation the right way.

My question at this point is what coach could we have brought in that would have made this current collection of "talent" competitive in the PAC. It wasn't going to happen.

I think that M2 is the right guy. Not putting the house on it because I was also excited about Hawkins. Lots of what look like good coaching hires fail for a variety of reasons. That said this year was going to be a lost year no matter who came in and what they did. At the start of the season my hopes and expectations were for the team to win 3 (4 if we got lucky) and to begin to make some changes toward becoming a competent college football team.

We have been blown out and embarassed three times but even in those we looked better than last year. We aren't getting the types of penalties that show a lack of concentration and organization. Even though it is against back-ups trying to kill the clock our guys are playing harder to finish games. It looks to me like the attitude is slowly turning around.

We do still need to see some other steps happen. We need to see a continued improvement in recruiting. We have seen some positive signs but we need to see further across the board improvements. We need to see this staff do what they are known for and develop some players, something that hasn't happened around here in years.

The biggest thing we need is to see a commitment from the administration to having a football program that isn't a joke. Hiring Rick George may be a step in that direction but we need concrete announcements about starting dates for facility improvements. We need to see actions that look like the school is ready to win.

It's hard to see our team get beaten badly week after week and I can see how some would be getting to that boiling point but this is not the time to go into panic mode.

More organized looking while we get blown out of the first half. So yes, my answer would be, because we are more organized.

The way I see it we are two years behind just about everyone in the conference with the exception of Cal. When UCLA, ASU, Arizona, and Wazzu hired new coaches at the end of 2011 we became the worst coaching staff in the PAC 12 by a country mile. Those teams all had 2012 to work in a system in while we seemed to get worse. Now with a new staff we have to play catch up, and it isn't going to happen in year one. We have a significant uphill battle ahead, but I definitely see a more improved team from last year.

The way I see it we are two years behind just about everyone in the conference with the exception of Cal. When UCLA, ASU, Arizona, and Wazzu hired new coaches at the end of 2011 we became the worst coaching staff in the PAC 12 by a country mile. Those teams all had 2012 to work in a system in while we seemed to get worse. Now with a new staff we have to play catch up, and it isn't going to happen in year one. We have a significant uphill battle ahead, but I definitely see a more improved team from last year.
What you wrote is true except we are even farther behind a Cal. They have far more talent on their team.

What you wrote is true except we are even farther behind a Cal. They have far more talent on their team.

Cal has also had a lot of attrition to go along with a lot if injuries this year

Sent from a red light

I allowed myself to think that MM would be able to turn this around with a culture change. Get rid of the loser mentality that pervaded the program during the Hawk and Embree years, and things would start to turn in our direction. And in some ways, the first two games of the season bore that out.

But then conference play started and reality set in. It wasn't just a culture thing. It's a talent thing. Playing hard and never giving up mean exactly dick when you have maybe 2 players who could play for the teams you're playing against.

So the only thing to do is do what you can on the field for now and work as hard as you can to bring more talent in.

As for the question at hand, yes, we're better. I have no doubt that we would be winless with last year's staff. We would have folded when the chips were down against CSU, and we would have done it again against Central Arkansas. ****ty as it is to say, I think we also looked better against Oregon, although it's hard to say when you're getting your doors blown off in both games.

Back