What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Les Miles News

He would be a very intriguing hire.

I'm not sold on Miles by any means, but he's proven himself to definitely be an *above average* coach.

At a minimum I think he'd make CU relevant again...

les miles reminds me of barnett, except barnett was more polished with the press.

no, i am not joking.

but, hey, the guy can coach. we'll see what happens.

i could live with LM long before i could ever live with leach. LM going from LSU to Colorado would certianly create some considerable press around the nation and in a good way in regards to CU.

The more I think about this, the more I don't like the idea. There's a Dennis Franchione vibe to this whole thing.

I'm not thrilled with what I've seen of him at LSU, but if he'll promise to not let Gary Crowton with 1,000 miles of Boulder he might be worth considering...

The more I think about this, the more I don't like the idea. There's a Dennis Franchione vibe to this whole thing.

you are just saying that because i said i could live with it. you are always trying to spite me!!! :cry:

:lol:

i get where you are coming from. there is a lot in this deal to be spooked about. the back of my mind says "chuck fairbanks" with LM. i dont know why. it just does. however, i still like the option of taking him on as the HCOTUOC.

you are just saying that because i said i could live with it. you are always trying to spite me!!! :cry:

:lol:

i get where you are coming from. there is a lot in this deal to be spooked about. the back of my mind says "chuck fairbanks" with LM. i dont know why. it just does. however, i still like the option of taking him on as the HCOTUOC.

I didn't want to bring up Fairbanks, but yeah, there's a Fairbanks vibe to this as well. Pay a guy a boatload of money to come in here and step on his crank. In the history of CU coaching hires, there wasn't one with a better resume than Chuck Fairbanks.

Bah. It's a crapshoot no matter what you do. We could hire Urban Meyer and it might not work out.

I don't get why anyone wouldn't be thrilled if we could get Miles at Colorado. Whatever. There are people who would find issue with it if we could land Saban, Urban, Tedford or Carroll (the only coaches with similar records the past 5 or 6 years).

There's plenty of pressure to produce here.
Maybe could of worded that better.

Yes, there is plenty of pressure to produce at CU. However, what I was trying to get at is that whatever pressure there is in Boulder, it still pales in comparison to what he has been experiencing in Baton Rouge.

I don't get why anyone wouldn't be thrilled if we could get Miles at Colorado. Whatever. There are people who would find issue with it if we could land Saban, Urban, Tedford or Carroll (the only coaches with similar records the past 5 or 6 years).

I think Miles could be a good coach at CU, the guy just baffles me with some basic coaching gaffes. I have never seen a coach struggle to understand clock management more than Miles. Plus the guy is a bit weird. But hey, he's as good an option as any, probably better than most.

I think Miles could be a good coach at CU, the guy just baffles me with some basic coaching gaffes. I have never seen a coach struggle to understand clock management more than Miles. Plus the guy is a bit weird. But hey, he's as good an option as any, probably better than most.

The bizarre thing is that Miles never seems to get burnt by his clock management gaffes. I'd love to have someone more level headed and cerebral like Jon Embree on the sideline or in the box to help out if we hire Miles.

And... Herm Edwards is worse. In fact, he was so bad that any clock management mistake should probably be called a Herm. :lol:

[video=youtube;WRxm0oGbnRI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRxm0oGbnRI&feature=related[/video]

I'm nervous about hiring a coach who wants the job in part because there's too much pressure at his current job.

Usually, I would agree with you, but in the case of Miles I think he would be justfied. He has averaged just over 10 wins a year since he got to LSU and that isn't enough. Sorry, but that's called unrealistic expectations.

I don't think anyone posted this, so here is Les Miles' bio:

Born: 1953 in Elyria, Ohio
College: Offensive Lineman for the University of Michigan

Coaching career:

1980-1981 Michigan (Graduate Assistant)
1982-1986 Colorado (Offensive Line)... he left Michigan with McCartney
1987-1994 Michigan (Offensive Line)
1995-1997 Oklahoma State (Offensive Coordinator)
1998-2000 Dallas Cowboys (Tight Ends)
2001-2004 Oklahoma State (Head Coach)
2005-2010 LSU (Head Coach)

Record at Oklahoma State: replaced Bob Simmons, who had gone 5-6, 5-6, 3-8 his last 3 seasons.
2001: 4-7
2002: 8-5
2003: 9-4
2004: 7-5

Record at LSU: replaced Nick Saban, who had gone 8-5, 13-1 (national champion), 9-3 his last 3 seasons.
2005: 11-2
2006: 11-2
2007: 12-2 (national championship)
2008: 8-5
2009: 9-4
2010: 7-1

****, Miles has not won fewer than 7 games since 2002. Why would anyone be against that hire? Back to back to back 8/9/7 win seasons at Okie Light is enough to convince me he doesn't need LSU type talent to win.

Great minds think alike Nik. Was just about to post that.:smile2:

Anyway, don't be surprised if the rumor mill heats up in earnest after this weekend. I think LSU loses to Bama, potentially by double digits.

So what does Miles have to do to keep his job? Clearly 10 win seasons and the occasional NC are not enough. Does he have to win out?

Great minds think alike Nik. Was just about to post that.:smile2:

Anyway, don't be surprised if the rumor mill heats up in earnest after this weekend. I think LSU loses to Bama, potentially by double digits.

All of us who like Miles and McElwain should be cheering for Alabama this weekend. If the Tide Rolls, it puts Miles more in play while also increasing McElwain's prestige (if we go the coordinator direction).

So what does Miles have to do to keep his job? Clearly 10 win seasons and the occasional NC are not enough. Does he have to win out?

He's not getting fired. No chance of that. But there is good reason to believe that if LSU finishes 9-3 (with losses to Auburn, Alabama and Arkansas) that LSU would be happy to see his back and Miles would be happy to get out of that snake pit. There wouldn't be major snags in working out an amicable separation agreement.

I really doubt he gets fired this season regardless. But the idea he might want out could certainly gain traction because the pressure is going to be intense with more losses.

All of us who like Miles and McElwain should be cheering for Alabama this weekend. If the Tide Rolls, it puts Miles more in play while also increasing McElwain's prestige (if we go the coordinator direction).

Do I have to?

Back