1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Les Miles sounds off on USC

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Jens1893, Jul 7, 2007.

1. Jens1893

Jens1893 Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Well worth reading. Especially like Mandel´s point about the strength of the SEC. We know the conference is tought as ****, you don´t need to push that down our throats every time you see a camera or microphone.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/stewart_mandel/07/06/miles.usc/index.html

TBC

2. Jens1893

Part II

3. 77buff

77buff Well-Known Member

He's definitely stuck out his neck, he has always been able to deliver - look at his wins over OU while he was OSU coach. Alot of Michigan alumni are saying that if they lose to Ohio State this year they are going after Miles. Also, things are really heating up with Saban at Alabama. Miles has not come out and said it, but he is pissed off about Joe McKnight, and the alleged help USC got from Reggie Bush.

4. unbiasedtruth

unbiasedtruth Well-Known Member

no he hasnt always been able to deliver....he also couldn't deliver against OU too when he said he would. 2-2 record doesn't say much, and include the fact that he just signed a new contract with OSU, extension and pay raise, telling the Poke faithful he would be there a long time and bring okie state to top of the Big XII and the world of college football, then 10-14 days later bolting for LSU.... les miles it the epitome of arrogance. couple that with his ego of having to be on page one all the time.... as I think that has more to do with spouting off about USC and Pete Carroll than anything else.....

he can coach kids and get them to play at a higher level though..... :thumbsup:

5. Jens1893

miles does seem like a bit of an odd guy, but when you consider their all time record v the sooners (17-77-7), 2-2 doesnt seem all that bad.

6. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

He's a loose cannon. He lucked into a GREAT situation at LSU.

7. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Club Member Club Member

:yeahthat: Lou Saban had that cupboard stocked when he ran to Miami. I wasn't sure if Miles' temprament was going to work in the Red Stick, but it seems to. He's had success and some of that has to be due to him. LSU is a HIGH stress job. Those cajuns don't take kindly to losing.

8. SBG

SBG Formerly known as EFNMB Club Member Junta Member

When they better get used to the idea. CU is coming in a few years :smile2:

9. The Monk

The Monk Club Member Club Member

Yea the SEC is probably the best division but considering their record in bowl games, only marginally so. When the entire division is pre-ranked in the top 25 every year, rankings become a bit skewed... One year they should make the WAC, Sun Belt, and Conference USA represent the top 25 and nullify half the argument for the SEC being God's Conference.

10. 77buff

77buff Well-Known Member

That's a great record 2-2 considering the talent on OU, and what Miles had at OSU. As far as telling OSU he would be there a long time - how many have said the same and then bolted for something they thought was better. It will be interesting to see what happens if he can pull it off. As far as the arrogance thing goes you are right, but if you can back it up then you have the right.

11. Jens1893

The pre-season rankings are BS anyway, but can unfortunately be quite important. Nobody knows how good or bada team truly is ON THE FIELD in July or August. All we and the so called experts can go by is how teams look on paper and we can only speculate how teams are going to replace the players who left, but yet teams can profit from a high pre-season ranking for quite a while.

And whether a conference´s bowl record does tell you everything about a conference´s strength can certainly be discussed also. Take Michigan last season. Once they lost against Ohio State and their championship dream was over, the fire was gone and they basically had nothing to play for in the Rose Bowl against USC.

12. 92Buff

92Buff Well-Known Member

That is possible, but in the end I truly believe that the Big Ten powers were very overrated. There was a HUGE dropoff in quality teams after Wisconsin - allowing the top three to walk through the conference with ease.

There was still a lot being made of that bowl game - and I would expect that USC also fell prey to losing some of that fire - but they still kicked the crap out of Michigan.

13. Jens1893

Definitely agree about the Big Ten and I am not making excuses for the Wolverines, it´s just that I think that drawing conclusions from a conference´s bowl record can be very misleading and doesn´t tell you the whole truth about the true strength of a conference.

14. CSU Husker

CSU Husker Well-Known Member

Last year, USC beat the **** out of Arkansas, who incidently beat out LSU for the SEC West. I think it would be wise for Miles to STFU.

15. SuperiorBuff

SuperiorBuff Well-Known Member

Bowl games are whatever that particular coach and team decide they are. If they place importance on them like CU at coach Mac's send off against the tarnished dome they play to their potential. If the coaches treat it as a reward to the players for a good year, like Mac did many years, who knows what you will get. I don't put a lot of weight on bowl games unless they mean something to the players and coaches rather than the fans.

16. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Yeah, it seems SEC coaches coaches (including Tuberville:huh:) can't seem to stop talking about this. It's starting to get very old. Just shut the **** up and play football.

17. Liver

Liver modded mod Club Member Junta Member

i totally agree with superior's take on the merit of bowl wins. i have actually talked about this point with guys who have coached in major college ball. if you aren't playing for a national championship or in some kind of a statement game, then many coaches (at least the "good guys" among them) will let their team slack off a bit and enjoy the bowl festivities and such.

Mac often did this. and, i know from some guys that played for him that mallory did it some when he was here too. to paraphrase a guy on a couple of CU bowl teams many years ago: "when we went to the orange bowl, it was all business. we were there to work and try to win that game because we were representing the big 8. when we went to the hula bowl, we had a fantastic time. it was like a vacation."

and, another reason not to get too wound up about bowl games is the "let down factor." example: when CU didn't make to the title game in 01 and they had to "settle" for playing oregon, they mentally let down. oregon, on the other hand, was really pissed and had a better case that they should have been in the title game. so, CU came out a bit soft and oregon came out and freaking shelled that Buff team. all things being equal, that would never have happened. so, the "statement" game was one-sided.

another example of why bowl games aren't a good judge: remember when CU destroyed boston college in barnett's 1st or 2nd year? that was a Buff team that was extremely gifted and underperformed all year because of the internal turmoil of a coaching change and system change. they finally pulled it all together for that bowl game AND basically the whole boston college team was suffering from the flu. game over before it ever started...

i could go on for a few more paragraphs about the boise state win over ou and why it really doesn't prove anything, but i am in need of another cocktail...

GO BUFFS!

18. ladyblaise

ladyblaise Club Member Club Member

this is perhaps the most intriguing dimension to this thread.

miles is clearly a bright guy who can get a lot out of a team (evidence how he was able to step up and make the bedlam series interesting).

however, it seems to me that instead of fcusing on what the condoms are doing, he might oughta worry about positioning himself for an undefeated season. if he can do that, then he will play who the bcs says to play. he can worry about show at that juncture.

19. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Club Member Club Member

Leading to those famous words..."say Merry Christmas with our headgear(s)." I don't know about you, but it was embarassing to me to how few players were even paying attention to Skippy, let alone getting motivated by him. This is not intended to be a slam on Neu, but it's an example of how allowing TV cameras into the lockerroom of a game that clearly didn't mean much to the players.

I agree. I think he was just saying something to fire up the Boudreaux's...

20. The Monk

Yea exactly what I was getting at, preseason polls inflate certain conferences, the SEC being one of the main culprits.

Yes individually certain teams play down during bowl games but aggregate conference bowl records still give us a fair measure of relative strength. which then becomes even more clear when we couple aggregates records with 3-4 year moving averages.

But ultimately unless some sort of elaborate ELO system is established and more importantly accepted, we don't have many measures better then bowl games to compare conferences. Knock it all you want.

21. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

What does the Electric Light Orchestra have to do with college football?

22. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

god the sec drives me insane, USC consistently beats the crap out of SEC teams, they are bitter.

Just for reference SC has beaten the Crap out of Arkansas 2 of 2 times 70-14 and 50-14 once when they won the SEC west, and shut out Auburn once at home and beat them a second time, both in years the won bowl games.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2007
  23. The Monk

It's the link you get before the elo I was referencing when you google it.