What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Les Miles Watch 2015

I think they did good coaching jobs in different ways. You seem to equate good coaching with "doing more with less" or "building a program from the ground up." But if you look at Richt's coaching job in context, he won two SEC titles in his first five years, something that had not happened at Georgia since the mid-80s. So they were not in the crapper, but to downgrade his successes as "moderate" is a bit disingenuous.

Good coaches can take programs from the depths, and also to new heights. Does not need to be an either/or dichotomy. By your logic, David Shaw (potentially winning his third Pac-12 title this season) has done very little at Stanford. Chris Petersen did nothing at Boise. After all, he took over a good program.
I don't disagree with this and I never said Richt didn't do a good job. I just said what Leavitt did was more impressive.

Please stop perpetuating this myth. Especially after FAU and the ****ing Citadel weekend.

The SEC is a very good conference, but dply was right to call you out for perpetuating the myth.
Here's your myth (as of a year ago)...
BxF91eGCEAA2W2q.jpg

Here's your myth (as of a year ago)...
BxF91eGCEAA2W2q.jpg

I didn't want to muddy up this thread either but those numbers do not tell the whole story. The SEC plays less conference games. That alone makes the win percentage not a reliable factor.

I didn't want to muddy up this thread either but those numbers do not tell the whole story. The SEC plays less conference games. That alone makes the win percentage not a reliable factor.
That's irrelevant to those numbers.

Huh? That graphic shows the SEC having played 177 P5 games with the next closest conference being the ACC at 161, and the SEC still has far and away the best win %.

Also, the funny thing about percentages, is that it actually makes statistics comparable when the sample sizes aren't equal.

That's irrelevant to those numbers.

Huh? That graphic shows the SEC having played 177 P5 games with the next closest conference being the ACC at 161, and the SEC still has far and away the best win %.

Also, the funny thing about percentages, is that it actually makes statistics comparable when the sample sizes aren't equal.

My bad, I thought it said overall win percentages. I should probably read better if I'm going to argue on the internet.

Vic Lombardi discussed it this morning. He said "boosters" are talking about Miles maybe coming to Colorado. They must check out Allbuffs. He threw water on the idea.

Technically, many of us are boosters. Actually, a few of us are significant boosters. I don't think we've got anyone who is willing to write a a 7 figure check, but it wouldn't surprise me if we do.

SIAP

Here's the back story of how the Les Miles situation has gone down at LSU: http://footballscoop.com/news/the-backstory-at-lsu/

So, how did we get here? Well, let’s go back to the middle of the 2014 season…

The contracts for most of LSU’s assistants were coming due in the Spring of 2015. Alleva’s administration sent most of the assistants new contracts with very small raises….and a new clause that in summary said, “If Les is no longer the head coach, then this contract terminates.” Most of the assistants, recognizing they had no power to negotiate, begrudgingly signed up. Not Chief.

Fast forward to December, John Chavis requested a meeting with Alleva to tell him that his contract should not have a “If Les Is Out” clause. Alleva didn’t show. Alleva, reportedly, was not responsive to Chief’s outreach. We all know how that played out. Despite Les offering Chief money from his own pocket, Chief left for A&M. Was money the issue? Nope. Chief was offended by Alleva…and Alleva let it happen.

And here's Finebaum's take on how the LSU administration has behaved (he's not kind):

First, if you can improve your coaching staff immediately with our largest class in years in 2017, you do it. If you can get a Top 15 coach, you do it. You are not rebuilding and starting over from scratch if you get a bona fide coach that attracts recruits with just his name/history. You are actually ahead of the curve from where we are. You are going to get an LSU recruit we have no business getting. You aren't going to lose top end recruits, especially if we keep Leavitt on staff (which I think is a must).

Why is CU attractive to a coach that already has a National title over going to the NFL, Texas, Miami, USC or other big job?
-Low expectations: We are still only in the basement building the back frame wall of our mansion. We need to get out of the basement and get above ground level up front. Miles knows he can only build a ranch mansion and people are going to be content to get 7-10 Wins and maybe compete for conference or do what we did in 2001 and get in the Top 4 teams once every 10 years.
-He's 62 and 10 years in Boulder to build his mansion and retire happy is all he needs. What does he have to prove?
-CU has the facilities, it just needs the winning finally. Les' contract isn't going to be much different than the Top tier Pac 12 guys. Another $1 million a year is nothing if you can get Rick George to get Billionaire George on board like he was with Butch Jones
-He has history here and seems to like CU/Boulder so why not?

That all said, you don't fire MacIntyre unless you KNOW you are getting better next year. Otherwise, you see if he can make good on what he has built the last 3 years. No reason to start over unless you have to because we regress further. Our regression this year is not ideal, but it's not a complete meltdown. It's a small step back. Have to move forward and take a big step and get to a ****ing bowl game next year!

I know we like to pretend the Pac is murderers row, and maybe last year it had an argument, but this year not so much. Same with many years before. Since Miles has been at LSU (and that was the time period I was referring to) the SEC has been the toughest conference in the country. Deal with it.
Why don't we wait and see how the bowl games turn out before we anoint them the best? I'd take the PAC vs the SEC top to bottom anytime. The bowls give a pretty good barometer of where a conference sits.

I'm expecting(and hoping, I admit) 2 or 3 SEC losses, again, like last year, to their big out of conference rivals this weekend.

I'd take Miles now and anytime he wants to come.

Why don't we wait and see how the bowl games turn out before we anoint them the best? I'd take the PAC vs the SEC top to bottom anytime. The bowls give a pretty good barometer of where a conference sits.

I'm expecting(and hoping, I admit) 2 or 3 SEC losses, again, like last year, to their big out of conference rivals this weekend.

I'd take Miles now and anytime he wants to come.
Sigh. What part of "since Miles has been at LSU" don't you understand?

As far as Lombardi......I wouldn't take anything the Denver media says about something other than the nfl team they obsess over very seriously. CJ essentially echoed our thoughts on MHSR the other night.....It's definitely worth a call to Miles' reps if he and LSU part ways....and the lower expectations might be very attractive to the hat. I wouldn't worry about cash being a factor here-If we can pull this off, fundraising skyrockets.

As far as Lombardi......I wouldn't take anything the Denver media says about something other than the nfl team they obsess over very seriously. CJ essentially echoed our thoughts on MHSR the other night.....It's definitely worth a call to Miles' reps if he and LSU part ways....and the lower expectations might be very attractive to the hat. I wouldn't worry about cash being a factor here-If we can pull this off, fundraising skyrockets.

i pretty much agree with all this. especially the part about the Denver media. a Denver sports media job has a lifespan of sucking up to the Broncos.

i am not in favor of another "back to Mac" hire at all (and i was very much against the last one)....nor do i think Miles is a "good cultural fit" at CU or in Boulder...and i say give MacIntyre next year....but you don't say too much no to guy who can give you instant credibility in recruiting homes. get you to a bowl game, win some conference games....as bad as we have been. i can see the appeal. and i don't even like Les. or even care that much that he was on Mac's first CU staffs.

as far as lower expectations, Chuck Fairbanks happened that way. he had success everywhere else....and cashed our checks, country club life, mad at the world, and mailed it in at our expense.

Last edited:
http://milehighsports.com/les-miles-could-reinvigorate-the-rank-and-file/

"Charles Johnson believes Les Miles would instantly improve the recruiting in Boulder, an area that has lacked for some time. Colorado’s recruiting classes have been perennially ranked at or near the bottom of the Pac-12 since joining the conference in 2011. For Colorado to succeed, as they did under Bill McCartney in the late ’80s and early ’90s, recruiting will have to see a drastic improvement."

I'm struggling with this. If he's truly available, I think you pull the trigger. I just not convinced he's truly available.

Yeah, I'm probably more in the MM camp than many around these parts, but if you have any reason to think Les would be interested you kinda have to pursue it.

Once we get past Urban Meyer and Nick Saban, there's a next tier of the best coaches in college football and Les Miles is in the group... maybe at the top of it. If you can get a guy like that, I don't know how you say no to it when your program isn't currently winning.

I think you call his reps and ask if he's interested if the idiots in Baton Rouge get their way and he gets fired. It isn't a back to Mac hire-this is a Rick George is done messing around hire. For all the talk that Miles can't recruit.......well he's got the number one class in the nation. He's won the SEC twice and played in that game a third time. They may be down this year, but I'd love to be 7-4 right now. If this works, RG probably could raise enough in a day to buy out MM.....fundraising would explode.

What's the risk in doing this? You piss off a coach who needs a bowl bid (which probably involves four pac 12 wins given Mike Bohns brilliant Michigan scheduling) next year to keep his job anyway?

Btw, I think the chances of Miles coming here are slim, but if there is any chance, Rick needs to be all over it. Our recruiting is a pathetic joke. Until it is fixed, we are dead.

Highlander. I just looked them up. Georgia recruits Top 10 classes every year. Every year.

Are you trying to make my point for me?

Here's a coach whose program sits king in a talent rich state which happens to include Atlanta. He's consistently pulling in some of the top recruiting classes in the nation. But he seldom has a top team in the nation. By mid-season, it's all over, and we're wondering what happened to the Bulldogs, who were so super-hyped as a national contender in the off-season.

My point was, he underperforms with his talent. The research errand you sent me on has confirmed that. His team rankings do not mirror his recruiting rankings. They are far worse.

Now. Do you imagine for a second that he might recruit similarly to Colorado as he does UGA? The state of Georgia is crazy with football talent--much of whom appear happy to stay right at home. Colorado does not have that advantage. So, lets assume that he would be unable to bring in 15 consecutive top ten classes to CU.

If Richt can't perform when all five classes on the field were in top 10 recruiting classes, imagine how much worse he'll perform when he's not working with top 10 recruiting classes.

No thank you on Richt.

Did I mention he lost to Dan Hawkins?
@Orr - this is the first chance I have had to go back and look up the results in conference

Recruiting Class Rankings in Conference
2009: #3 in the SEC
2010: #6
2011: #2
2012: #4
2013: #7
2014: #5
2015: #3

On the field finishes in the SEC:
2011: #1 in the East
2012: #1 in the East
2013: #3 in the East
2014: #2 in the East
2015: #2 in the East (so far)

Seems like they are finishing pretty much exactly to the talent level they are recruiting in conference. And I would take top 10 recruiting classes if he could pull them here, too - in fact, I would settle for consistent Top 25 classes. I'm sure you would, too.

Back