What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Let the meltdown begin

Not so random. I vividly remember sackman saying Embree was the wrong coach after the loss to CSU in 2012, only a 22-17 loss, not a 31-17 ass kicking like tonight. I remember Buffnik lobbying the Regents and anyone else who would listen to get Embree fired during the 2012 season. It worked.

Why should MacIntyre be held to a lower standard now? Maybe because he is white and CU fans can better relate to him?

Your timing is off. Everyone started clamoring for Embree to be gone after losing to CSU, having an FCS school beat us, and allowing Fresno State to be leading us by 48 early in the 2nd Quarter…back to back to back. Sorry if you can't comprehend that's a reason for being fired and a level of ineptitude that MacIntyre has come nowhere near matching.

Embree 2012: 17.8 points for, 46 points against
MacIntyre 2013 + CSU: 24.8 points for, 37.7 points against

Pretty clear that while MacIntyre may not succeed, he's more competent than Embree. You aren'
t a career tight end coach by accident.

First of all, I don't remember CSU having a five star back. Second, y'all kicked our ass so enjoy it, you don't know what is gonna happen the rest of the year so enjoy it now. Marquesha wasn't a five star back, couldn't seem to find the goal line.

Didn't see that coming ... at all. Picked the Buffs. If anybody says they thought CSU's offensive line would perform that well especially after Sambrailo went down, they're full of ****. If anybody says they thought Dee Hart would have that much left and Treyous Jarrells would be able to perform equally as well, they're also full of ****. Rocky Mountain High School product and CSU O-line coach Derek Frazier gets a ton of credit for that game.

Didn't see that coming ... at all. Picked the Buffs. If anybody says they thought CSU's offensive line would perform that well especially after Sambrailo went down, they're full of ****. If anybody says they thought Dee Hart would have that much left and Treyous Jarrells would be able to perform equally as well, they're also full of ****. Rocky Mountain High School product and CSU O-line coach Derek Frazier gets a ton of credit for that game.

Same here. I picked the Buffs. I really felt we had turned the corner and that HCMM was getting his type of player and we would have a tough, gritty team that would exploit the areas where the Lammies were inexperienced and weak. Instead they managed what were supposed to be their weaknesses very well. I saw a us having a running game and a defensive backfield that would take Grayson apart. No pressure, no picks, and the longest run was what 13 yards? I didn't see us getting out-coached. If last night was any indicator Sparkles and the Lammies will give us fits for a while.

I did quit on the team last night. I quit watching while the Lammies were driving for their first TD. Just had a feeling it was going to the direction it did indeed go. I think the staff and the team let us down this game. It will be interesting to see when and how we actually break from this well established pattern of football futility. After our first touchdown I didn't see or read about much that would make me believe we are going to do it any time soon.

As you are going to lead the posse to get MacIntyre fired like you did Embree? If not, why not?

STFU dumbass. If you want to run smack like this, take it elsewhere. You want to live in the abomination that was Embree, you are showing how little you know about the game.

Same here. I picked the Buffs. I really felt we had turned the corner and that HCMM was getting his type of player and we would have a tough, gritty team that would exploit the areas where the Lammies were inexperienced and weak. Instead they managed what were supposed to be their weaknesses very well. I saw a us having a running game and a defensive backfield that would take Grayson apart. No pressure, no picks, and the longest run was what 13 yards? I didn't see us getting out-coached. If last night was any indicator Sparkles and the Lammies will give us fits for a while.

I did quit on the team last night. I quit watching while the Lammies were driving for their first TD. Just had a feeling it was going to the direction it did indeed go. I think the staff and the team let us down this game. It will be interesting to see when and how we actually break from this well established pattern of football futility. After our first touchdown I didn't see or read about much that would make me believe we are going to do it any time soon.

He's had one recruiting class. One.

As you are going to lead the posse to get MacIntyre fired like you did Embree? If not, why not?

No. For one, that wasn't something I really wanted to do or enjoyed doing. It was my last gasp of hoping CU would start demanding excellence. I agreed to do that because it was either that or I was going to check out and just be a casual fan. That's where I am now -- either RG and his bosses get it or there's no hope. Besides that, MacIntyre actually seems to have a clue about how to be a head coach. He may, like McCartney once did, have to make some wholesale changes to staff and systems. We'll find out a lot more over the coming weeks. With Embree, I didn't get really vocal until we were in about the 10th or 11th week. Anyway, I don't think I'm passionate enough at this point to do anything more than turn my attention to basketball if there's no joy in football.

Not so random. I vividly remember sackman saying Embree was the wrong coach after the loss to CSU in 2012, only a 22-17 loss, not a 31-17 ass kicking like tonight. I remember Buffnik lobbying the Regents and anyone else who would listen to get Embree fired during the 2012 season. It worked.

Why should MacIntyre be held to a lower standard now? Maybe because he is white and CU fans can better relate to him?

Why did you bring race into it?

If you want to go there, let's be honest about Embree and the true impact his race had on his job.

1. He did not get hired for his resume. He got hired because some boosters were pushing McCartney, it wasn't going to happen, so the fallback position became "find a black former Buff coach/player that McCartney supports for the job".

2. There was an extra level of hope/support for Embree to do well because of the well-known unfairness there has been regarding black men getting HC jobs in college football. Between that and him being a Buff, we all wanted it to work more than we would under normal circumstances.

3. It was harder to cut bait with Embree. It sucked to turn against a great Buff. It sucked to make a football and program decision with full knowledge that the race issue was extremely important from a macro level of society and sports.

So, to be brief, the impact of race with the Embree era can be summed up in a bottom line, un-nuanced way as: Embree got hired because of race and fired because the job performance was so bad the university had no choice but to deal with the racial relations backlash of terminating him.

Glass half full here. I was disappointed to see Embree fail, and be fired so soon as I was holding hope that he could get it together with one more year. Regardless of what side of the fence you're on there, he was let go. The last thing we can afford is another coaching change. That equals another 3 years of rebuilding in my mind, minimum (if you think we have the talent for a coach to quickly and dramatically make a difference here, you're crazy). Point being that I want HCMM to make a measurable difference here in the worst way, and I am pulling hard for him. The alternative could mean worse things to come than anyone could imagine. This has always been a quirky, anything can happen game....and they were outmatched in all phases last night. I honestly don't think that's representative of where this team truly is. I subscribed to the thought that CU would lose a game that they shouldn't, and win a game that the shouldn't this year. I am hoping that last night represents the former and it acts as a wakeup call to the entire staff and team (that seemed to be very comfortable that they had made progress over the last year). The next few weeks will be very telling. I will be very, very, very, disappointed if we don't end up at least 2-2 AND keep the ASU tight at a minimum. If not, I think it signals terrible things for this staff and the future of this program. I think we see a much different team in the next month.

I was following the gamecast while watching the game, and I think the quote that summed up the night best was when a CSU fan posted something along the lines of, "McElwain and his staff are the real deal, we lost all of our OL from last year, in addition to our best OT tonight, and our running game is still dominant." To which several people responded, "slow your roll, you're playing Colorado."

CSU can't even count us as a good win anymore. :|

He's had one recruiting class. One.

And here I thought I was walking the fine line between eternal optimist and calamity howler. :smile2:

Of course you are right. It is just my tendency to be overly idealistic at the beginning of every season.

This was the first game that M2 lost that we should have won. He got outcoached, gave up momentum, and couldn't figure out how to get it back.

I sensed that we were in deep crap when we had first and goal inside the 3 and couldn't score a TD. We went 3 times up the gut and got stuffed all three, two on Pow and on on Lindsey trying to go over the top.

I tried to tell people that Munyer isn't a PAC 12 level OL, got shouted down, Crabb is but he is an average OL at best. Kelley may be but he wouldn't be starting right now at virtually any other PAC school, he would still be in development mode. I'm sick and tired of people thinking that Nembot is going to "turn it on." He was a turnstile last night against average MWC players.

Our DL got run over by an MWC line that was missing both starting tackles and the first back-up. Our DEs are a joke. Maybe they won't be in a couple years but we are playing guys who are developmental types long before they are developed. CSU knew that if they could control Tupou and Solis in the middle our ends couldn't hold up, they did and we didn't.

I'm not on the fire M2 bandwagon. He inherited a program that was a bomb crater that was still smoldering. Tell me who we could have hired that would be doing a better job here right now. The top coaches aren't going to take a risk on a program that at the time had no visible administrative support based on no significant facility upgrades in well over a decade and was replacing a coach who was hired because he was cheap. Talentwise the program might as well have been a start-up program. We aren't starting bunches of sophomores and playing bunches of freshmen because they are to talented to keep off the field. They are playing because we don't have anyone else who can.

So far, this is the first game that we lost that we should have won. That happens to every coach. Look at the coaches who lost to Hawkins, enough said. I do think there have to be some changes though.

Neinas isn't pulling his weight. Our special teams are anything but. Last night on KOs we were putting the ball into the end zone and leaving the sheep on the 20. I don't know why but he decides to change KO guys and suddenly CSU is starting their drives at the 40 with momentum. Huge difference. On our part touchbacks were a win. When we returned KOs we had to many that came up short of the 20 and nothing like a long one. This would be okay if he was recruiting well but it doesn't look like that is the case either other than the punter out of Ft. Collins who is committed.

Agree with Duff on Jeffcoat as well. Was willing to give him a bit of time but time is up. He is supposed to be a DL guru. Well our guru must have meditated himself to death because we all saw what happened to our DL last night. And I don't see a lot of signs that it is going to get better anytime soon. How will that DL look against healthy PAC 12 offensive lines? Jeffcoat was also supposed to be our ticket into Texas recruiting. Our primary recruiting territory will always be California but if we are going to be successful we need to do reasonably well in Texas. Simple fact is that that isn't happening. If the guy who was supposed to coach our DL has the results we are getting and the guy who was supposed to get us talent from Texas is getting the results we are getting those guys need to be replaced. In this case they are both the same guy.

This is how I feel about the season right now

3204840swsw.gif

Which coaches would you keep right now? Walters? Lindgren? The rest need to go.

When you recruit development 2 star guys and NR guys you aren't going to be very successful until they are RS Seniors. So that puts us about 3 years away still if they develop.

I like Walters, Lindgren, and LaRussa. I know Baer is here likely another year, same with Bernardi. I would like to Klayton Adams formally coach the OTs and TEs.

Neinas, Jeffcoat, and Clark are squarely on the hot seat for me.

Had very high hopes for Lindgren, but last night really made me doubt if he's ready for this level yet. Zero creativity and way too conservative

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honest assessment is they are all question marks and it is too soon to tell.

Lindgren: Seems to be good at developing young QBs. Can't tell how good he is at identifying them as HS prospects. Sefo was a recruit from the previous staff so too soon to tell on his evaluations. Playcalling is not as innovative as we were led to believe but what he has to work with here is not good enough to compete with the rest of the conference. Disappointed he didn't call a game that exploited any weakness CSU had on defense in the 2nd half.

Bernardi: I believe he knows what he's doing and at his age has also pulled his weight in recruiting but hasn't been able to instill toughness in a line that desperately needs some.

Walters: Showed good recruiting chops early on. Young and with the NFL pedigree to get young players' attention. Recruiting in southeast Denver metro has been solid but largely unnoticed in Houston. We have good WRs and with a little pass protection could do well in this facet of the game. So I think in the big picture he is still one of our biggest assets on the staff.

Adams: Point man in making Northern California a huge recruiting focus. Stretched a little thin in coaching duties with the TE/RB tag and I believe he may assist in some OL drills as well. Position groups responsible for have been from a personnel view very bleak.

Baer: From the old school of defensive scheming but led team to a touchdowns' worth of a point differential improvement last year. Will need to show a similar improvement this year for me to believe he is worth a multi-year contract.

Jeffcoat: Recruiting is a huge head-scratcher as far as where he goes and who he is evaluating and has gotten a few DL recruits but we haven't gotten to see them play so the jury is out. His name value especially in DFW has not been the splash we thought as a recruiting hire.

LaRussa: Versatile in coaching responsibilities and recruits the Pacific states and territories. Was a better hire in hindsight than the head-scratcher I first thought he was when it was announced he was coming from SJSU. With his focus on defensive ends this year, will we see any improvement from them later in the fall?

Clark: Very unknown to me. We have solid defensive backs and they are the strength of the defense. I'm nothing of an insider when it comes to recruiting but I can't recall how he is doing in his responsibilities there beyond the Shay Fields switch.

Neinas: Not sure how flexible he is as a coach beyond coaching special teams and offering kickers. Since Mike Bohn is no longer here I don't think the loyalty to Chuck Neinas has meaning anymore for this hiring favor. Either our special teams become the difference in games and help us keep a conference game competitive while our offense and defense are overmatched or he needs to be gone.

It's easier to evaluate coaches when your team has P5 conference talent but so many questions here may be the result of personnel being lacking. Because of this, we certainly could use a change if a couple of our coaches are failing to be able to recruit to a Pac-12 school which should hold some value with prospects regardless of a win-loss record. Walters is the only definite plus for me at this point but I'm holding out to see improvement in the playcalling/position groups before I think any of the others should be declared safe.

Lindgren is in the Bernardi and Baer group for me, pretty indifferent. Adams, LaRussa and Walters are the keepers, but I wonder if Walters stays after this year or moves on, especially if Nelson has a good season.

Honest assessment is they are all question marks and it is too soon to tell.

Lindgren: Seems to be good at developing young QBs. Can't tell how good he is at identifying them as HS prospects. Sefo was a recruit from the previous staff so too soon to tell on his evaluations. Playcalling is not as innovative as we were led to believe but what he has to work with here is not good enough to compete with the rest of the conference. Disappointed he didn't call a game that exploited any weakness CSU had on defense in the 2nd half.

Bernardi: I believe he knows what he's doing and at his age has also pulled his weight in recruiting but hasn't been able to instill toughness in a line that desperately needs some.

Walters: Showed good recruiting chops early on. Young and with the NFL pedigree to get young players' attention. Recruiting in southeast Denver metro has been solid but largely unnoticed in Houston. We have good WRs and with a little pass protection could do well in this facet of the game. So I think in the big picture he is still one of our biggest assets on the staff.

Adams: Point man in making Northern California a huge recruiting focus. Stretched a little thin in coaching duties with the TE/RB tag and I believe he may assist in some OL drills as well. Position groups responsible for have been from a personnel view very bleak.

Baer: From the old school of defensive scheming but led team to a touchdowns' worth of a point differential improvement last year. Will need to show a similar improvement this year for me to believe he is worth a multi-year contract.

Jeffcoat: Recruiting is a huge head-scratcher as far as where he goes and who he is evaluating and has gotten a few DL recruits but we haven't gotten to see them play so the jury is out. His name value especially in DFW has not been the splash we thought as a recruiting hire.

LaRussa: Versatile in coaching responsibilities and recruits the Pacific states and territories. Was a better hire in hindsight than the head-scratcher I first thought he was when it was announced he was coming from SJSU. With his focus on defensive ends this year, will we see any improvement from them later in the fall?

Clark: Very unknown to me. We have solid defensive backs and they are the strength of the defense. I'm nothing of an insider when it comes to recruiting but I can't recall how he is doing in his responsibilities there beyond the Shay Fields switch.

Neinas: Not sure how flexible he is as a coach beyond coaching special teams and offering kickers. Since Mike Bohn is no longer here I don't think the loyalty to Chuck Neinas has meaning anymore for this hiring favor. Either our special teams become the difference in games and help us keep a conference game competitive while our offense and defense are overmatched or he needs to be gone.

It's easier to evaluate coaches when your team has P5 conference talent but so many questions here may be the result of personnel being lacking. Because of this, we certainly could use a change if a couple of our coaches are failing to be able to recruit to a Pac-12 school which should hold some value with prospects regardless of a win-loss record. Walters is the only definite plus for me at this point but I'm holding out to see improvement in the playcalling/position groups before I think any of the others should be declared safe.

Rep stick is empty, will try to remember to hit you up later. Good stuff.

Got to thinking about this one today while cleaning the Traeger.

Look at it from the recruiting perspective and especially from the perspective of CU hasn't been a big name in the last 10 years. Then remember when the Cowgirls won all those Super Bowls in the mid to late 90s. See a correlation?

Point is, I'm willing to bet kids in DFW relate to Jeffcoat much in the same way all the in-state kids relate to Colorado. His glory years (like CU's) all happened way before their time and all they have ever known is that the Cowboys haven't been to the playoffs in the last 6 years - i.e. they suck.

We can't ride Jeffcoat's glory days in Dallas - doesn't carry any weight.

Got to thinking about this one today while cleaning the Traeger.

Look at it from the recruiting perspective and especially from the perspective of CU hasn't been a big name in the last 10 years. Then remember when the Cowgirls won all those Super Bowls in the mid to late 90s. See a correlation?

Point is, I'm willing to bet kids in DFW relate to Jeffcoat much in the same way all the in-state kids relate to Colorado. His glory years (like CU's) all happened way before their time and all they have ever known is that the Cowboys haven't been to the playoffs in the last 6 years - i.e. they suck.

We can't ride Jeffcoat's glory days in Dallas - doesn't carry any weight.

I'm sure it helps with HS coaches and recruit parents. For adults in the Texas football world, having Jeffcoat in your office or living room is a pretty big deal. Might also help that his son recently went through the process as a TX blue chip.

So, I think it gets his foot in the door. I think it gets him some leads from those coaches on guys CU should take a look at. I see it as an advantage. My issue is that all things being equal, if he can't take that advantage and leverage it by being as good or better than other recruiters at evaluations, building relationships and salesmanship then it is a wasted advantage.

Back