What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Let's all calm down

Quote where I said people say we are a top 25 program.

I implied that's the attitude that some posters have. That every loss is a huge deal and that we should be winning conference games. We're rebuilding and it's a slow process. Look at where the team was when Mac took over. Jordan Webb probably would have been the starter if not for the legal trouble, Connor Wood was the backup... Harris/Handler were the two best linemen and the defense was total crap. Is it really that realistic to expect us to have made much more progress than this?

People aren't complaining because it's a "slow process", they're complaining because it isn't a "process" at all. This team is not automatically moving in the right direction just because you say so.

I've taken a few days away from football and the board. That was an emotionally draining game in so many ways for me.

I went back and watched it again (have no idea why) and came away with a few notes that I am sure has been discussed thoroughly.

1. It seemed like we were completely unprepared for this game. From the very beginning to the end. We found some momentum in the running game and rarely went back to it. I just don't get it and this pounds home how Lindgren will always be a pass first OC, which sucks. We also ran just about every single route as a curl. I get what he is trying to do, to set up the deep ball, but my god, that was a pathetic route tree.

2. I don't know if I've seen a team have so many mistakes on big plays. It seemed like every penalty CU had resulted in a gigantic play CU had just made that negated it. From long returns, to interceptions, to fumbles, to missed wide open passes, etc. Team is still snake bitten, I think.

3. I'm over our special teams coordinator. All three years in game one have been a disaster. I am not going to discuss this anymore, as I am over it.

4. It seemed like our Guard and Center play were in different hemispheres. They better get that fixed as I think every team will now have film on what to do. Blitz up the middle, all day long, if I am Umass.

5. Our Dline seemed to be disruptive for most of the game. The two ILB's were non-existent it seemed. I thought the secondary was pretty solid, except for a few mistakes by Crawley. I hope we start bringing more pressure.

6. Hawaii was pretty much the same team. They just had a better QB this year.

7. Our QB seems extremely tentative. He did have a lot of pressure and made some plays out of it, but he rarely audibled when the pressure was coming. Hawaii made it very obvious but we didn't seem to make a change once they showed it.

I still think this is a better team than last year, but we have a lot to change and that starts with our coaches. They laid a huge egg in game preparation. We had better win the rest of our non-conference games or I am not sure you can stick with this staff much longer. We have some winnable games left and can still get to the 5-6 wins I was thinking would be possible.

Couldn't agree more. Note on 5 though the the UH line was very undersized.

It might not be moving quickly enough for some, but I'm shocked that there are people who think the team isn't moving in the right direction. Recruiting isn't better than it was under Embree? The team isn't more competitive?

It might not be moving quickly enough for some, but I'm shocked that there are people who think the team isn't moving in the right direction. Recruiting isn't better than it was under Embree? The team isn't more competitive?

The measuring stick isn't against Embree. It's against the other teams in the Pac12.

Pull yourself together, Skinsfan55.

Recruiting remains an issue. How can anyone argue differently?

I had a much longer post written that I edited because I thought it might be a little bit too vitriolic, but my #1 complaint is with recruiting. Most of our recruits are small-conference material. Having 40% of your recruits (or 50%) be "p5" in the sense that a single other bottom-feeder program like washington state or Iowa State or some bottom-tier b10 ten team gave them an offer them does not compensate for the fact that approximately 0 to 1 of them are clearly big-conference recruits and that almost all of them are primarily reporting offers from sub-MWC conference schools. Our recruiting is poor. Most guys sport a bunch of offers from programs like SJSU. That's not good.

That sort of defies logic. The measuring stick is where the team was and where it is now.

I'd like to agree with you, but I'd be wrong.

CU doesn't qualify for a bowl game or a CCG based upon how we stack up against Embree's teams. Conference standings actually mean something.

We should be beating a mediocre Hawaii team in year three of a rebuilding process. I completely agree that it appeared that we were headed in the right direction last year. From what I have seen on the field so far this year, I don't see how you can come to the conclusion that we are still headed in the right direction. Jury is still out? Maybe. Give them a mulligan and hope for the best. Improving? Based on that? Really?

If I am off the Mac bandwagon it is because his teams play knocked me off. I thought Levitt was making everyone run all the time and no walking. I was infuriated with the lack of concern as time was running down, the horrific time clock management (insane for third year of coach and QB) and play calling.

If I manage to get back on the Mac-wagon, it will be because we see major improvement and wins this year. Another loss to CSU and I can't see me ever back on the Mac-wagon.

We need to off somebody that's recognizable, recruits don't give a **** if we beat UMass. They will care if we lose to them though. Beat a name program and maybe we'll get some momentum.

If I am off the Mac bandwagon it is because his teams play knocked me off. I thought Levitt was making everyone run all the time and no walking. I was infuriated with the lack of concern as time was running down, the horrific time clock management (insane for third year of coach and QB) and play calling.

If I manage to get back on the Mac-wagon, it will be because we see major improvement and wins this year. Another loss to CSU and I can't see me ever back on the Mac-wagon.
JL has nothing to do with the offense. Comparing his personality with MMac it is easy to hope at least the defense takes on his personality instead of the HCs. JL has the energy of a person half his age, and I would like to see him swap jobs with MMac. I'm disgusted that Toby was kept on after year one, and Jeffcoat's recruiting should have him on the hotseat by now. I have faith in exactly one member of the staff after what I have seen the last three years.

We've seen a program build with HCMM as the head coach

Macintyre's final season at SJSU was a very good one, I won't take that away from him. However SJSU missed bowl games the last two years and are not expected to be very good this year (1-2 start so far). If Embree is responsible for some of the blame related to CU's shortcoming since he left (which I think is fair) then doesn't Macintyre in turn deserve some of the blame for SJSU's performance after he left? If he had truly built such a strong and talented program then why have they been mediocre the past 2-plus seasons, regardless of who the coach is? I know Macintyre inherited a tough situation there, but in five, likely soon to be six, seasons with his fingerprints on that program they've had just one winning season.

Hard to draw anything from that with our experience. If the next coach at SJSU were able to continue MikeMac's success, who would you give the credit to? Maybe, in SJSU's case, thing's fell apart because MacIntyre wasn't there, who knows.

Or we've seen the other side of it where Petersen built on and excelled in Hawkins's absence. Was that to Hawkins's credit? We tried to tell ourselves that, didn't really mean anything though in the long run.

Back