What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Let's get 2017 going...

Can't discount how important it is to get a high 3-star or 4-star QB and get a QB quickly this time around, it helps the class in so many ways. BL and DC need to go all out on this. Braxton Burmeister still seems very open and has shown some interest in us, need to be on him hard, tell him we know how coaches kids at QB works out for the other guys. We can sell a chance at early/immediate PT with a SR QB, get it done.

Last edited:
@Fight CU I am seriously not understanding your argument because you are being weirdly evasive.

What recruit is acceptable to expend time in recruiting? What other offers should that recruit have?

Your implications in this thread seem to be the staff is wasting time/money in pursuing ANY blue chip level player, or even players a notch below the blue chip level? Why? The time and money are sunk costs.

You seem to think going outside the nebulous "our league" is somehow hurting our recruiting efforts with those prospects in "our league." You could sign a whole class of those without expending 90% of your recruiting effort, so why would you purposely waste that energy instead of setting your sights higher? That is honestly an argument that makes no sense.

Last edited:
USC, UCLA, Stanford and Oregon are all, quite literally, in CU's league. We should be going after the same level of recruits that they are.

I have no idea in what league FightCU thinks we do, or should, recruit.

But see, this is the very essence/art of recruiting. If you just focus almost your entire energy on only "realistic" options, you are quite literally settling and not really "recruiting" at all, more just signing players in some neatly constructed comfort zone.
And the comfort zone is arbitrary.

All I'm saying you should spend time getting the best and most reasonable kids here. Spending a lot of time on 5* kids that have top flight P5 offer lists is a waste of time and resources - both of which are scarce. They won't come here and why would they. My friend is not going to marry a model. Especially given his current offerings

All I'm saying you should spend time getting the best and most reasonable kids here. Spending a lot of time on 5* kids that have top flight P5 offer lists is a waste of time and resources - both of which are scarce. They won't come here and why would they. My friend is not going to marry a model. Especially given his current offerings
Maybe your"friend" should spring for wholesale physical upgrades and upgrade your - err I mean his - social media presence.

Just keeping the metaphor going.

Sorry your friend spends his time trying to bang other people instead of you, but we're all tired of hearing about it.

Your "friend"? Right...

CU just spent $150 million to turn a beautiful stadium with a gorgeous view into a stunning model. We no longer are JC Penney models doing lingerie but Victoria Secret or Sports Illustrated. So instead of like 75% of dudes wanting us about 90% do but we are not Kate Upton so 10% find some reason to not But I like numbers and will get back to your getting laid metaphor later with this analogy.

Roughly 1300 recruits are signed by the Power 5 & ND-BYU schools every year and 2600 total in FCS. This year there are roughly 1100 recruits rated 3 stars or higher (I counted even though they claim only 750 or so are). 350 of that group is 4 stars or higher (they say 250$ and 30 (true) of that group is 5 stars. The remaining kids are usually made 2 stars just because they are a Division 1 recruit. Very few stay no stars or are labeled 1 star. The Power 5 gets 750 or so of the above 3 star kids and remaining go to the G5 or lower. About a dozen 4* kids went to the G5 this year. That means other than the Craig Watts and that kid that went to Houston type of guy roughly the 90% of 4-5* kids go to P5 which is less than 25% of all P5 scholarships and just over 60% is 3 star or higher!

So per my model analogy and your thoughts we should stay away from the Victoria Secret models and stick with the JC Penny ladies?

You aren't taking certain factors into account when saying we shouldn't waste resources.

1. Fan-Lynott Family was long time CU fans and Timmy was really pressed by the big time schools. Had the coaches not said well he is a 4* so we should only send a letter, they may have not learned the things needed to keep him here. Maybe a kid had a relative or friend play here and only some digging finds that out.

2. Camps-This group travels the country to other colleges to help out. While helping out they may catch a kid they would have no clue about. Was already going to the camp and being paid by someone else. Part of what has got the kids in Cali and got kids out here like Huntley and Julmisse which leads to...

3. Boulder Camps, OV and UV and seeing CO & Boulder-Huntley, Julmisse and Watts Jr camped here. We almost got all 3. We got 2 because they were absolutely floored with everything having not seen the Flatirons and Rocky Mountains and realizing how gorgeous Boulder is like...

4. Tourists: My guess is the Bisharat family had been skiing in CO and his mom had taken photos here before. Maybe not but other kids may have visited here for non-football related things and loved the state. Maybe you get that kid a letter and offer and he responds positively.

5. Connections and Scouting: Tape is abundant and info is abundant when you have guys making a living off selling athletes. There are guys that just watch tape and flag the guys they see that are Division I talent. Additionally I have heard tons of stories of a coach going to see Player A but see Player X on another team and go oh he is the best player on the field and have an in-road there. Knowing and visiting a school and having a history with it. Many of these schools visit football factories for years because if they connect or find that kid early they may remember that.

Relationships in recruiting don't happen when a player is headed into their senior year. Most often it is at a time during sophomore year now and no later than a year before. These coaches, as evident by this 2017 recruiting offers, are operating a year ahead during their 2016 close-out. Just the way it is.

They are not flying somewhere to be the 12th choice but if they are Top 5 and show that kid enough he likes then maybe things don't happen with his first choice and he comes here. Get that to happen enough and you close with the last 6 guys CU got to turn this below average glass into a fairly good class.

And your friend obviously is like CSU. Thinks he is better than he is but no one takes him serious because he doesn't have the tools to get a gorgeous woman in the bed. Get a nice car, dress well, smell well and talk to women and show he belongs in the big leagues and start connecting then he goes from the guy you make fun of to the guy you go holy **** man. Kind of like TCU or how Boise will end up if they make a big bowl ever 3-4 years.

CU just spent $150 million to turn a beautiful stadium with a gorgeous view into a stunning model. We no longer are JC Penney models doing lingerie but Victoria Secret or Sports Illustrated. So instead of like 75% of dudes wanting us about 90% do but we are not Kate Upton so 10% find some reason to not But I like numbers and will get back to your getting laid metaphor later with this analogy.

Roughly 1300 recruits are signed by the Power 5 & ND-BYU schools every year and 2600 total in FCS. This year there are roughly 1100 recruits rated 3 stars or higher (I counted even though they claim only 750 or so are). 350 of that group is 4 stars or higher (they say 250$ and 30 (true) of that group is 5 stars. The remaining kids are usually made 2 stars just because they are a Division 1 recruit. Very few stay no stars or are labeled 1 star. The Power 5 gets 750 or so of the above 3 star kids and remaining go to the G5 or lower. About a dozen 4* kids went to the G5 this year. That means other than the Craig Watts and that kid that went to Houston type of guy roughly the 90% of 4-5* kids go to P5 which is less than 25% of all P5 scholarships and just over 60% is 3 star or higher!

So per my model analogy and your thoughts we should stay away from the Victoria Secret models and stick with the JC Penny ladies?

You aren't taking certain factors into account when saying we shouldn't waste resources.

1. Fan-Lynott Family was long time CU fans and Timmy was really pressed by the big time schools. Had the coaches not said well he is a 4* so we should only send a letter, they may have not learned the things needed to keep him here. Maybe a kid had a relative or friend play here and only some digging finds that out.

2. Camps-This group travels the country to other colleges to help out. While helping out they may catch a kid they would have no clue about. Was already going to the camp and being paid by someone else. Part of what has got the kids in Cali and got kids out here like Huntley and Julmisse which leads to...

3. Boulder Camps, OV and UV and seeing CO & Boulder-Huntley, Julmisse and Watts Jr camped here. We almost got all 3. We got 2 because they were absolutely floored with everything having not seen the Flatirons and Rocky Mountains and realizing how gorgeous Boulder is like...

4. Tourists: My guess is the Bisharat family had been skiing in CO and his mom had taken photos here before. Maybe not but other kids may have visited here for non-football related things and loved the state. Maybe you get that kid a letter and offer and he responds positively.

5. Connections and Scouting: Tape is abundant and info is abundant when you have guys making a living off selling athletes. There are guys that just watch tape and flag the guys they see that are Division I talent. Additionally I have heard tons of stories of a coach going to see Player A but see Player X on another team and go oh he is the best player on the field and have an in-road there. Knowing and visiting a school and having a history with it. Many of these schools visit football factories for years because if they connect or find that kid early they may remember that.

Relationships in recruiting don't happen when a player is headed into their senior year. Most often it is at a time during sophomore year now and no later than a year before. These coaches, as evident by this 2017 recruiting offers, are operating a year ahead during their 2016 close-out. Just the way it is.

They are not flying somewhere to be the 12th choice but if they are Top 5 and show that kid enough he likes then maybe things don't happen with his first choice and he comes here. Get that to happen enough and you close with the last 6 guys CU got to turn this below average glass into a fairly good class.

And your friend obviously is like CSU. Thinks he is better than he is but no one takes him serious because he doesn't have the tools to get a gorgeous woman in the bed. Get a nice car, dress well, smell well and talk to women and show he belongs in the big leagues and start connecting then he goes from the guy you make fun of to the guy you go holy **** man. Kind of like TCU or how Boise will end up if they make a big bowl ever 3-4 years.
I have a bowlner.

That's what every CU coach would say to you if you told them they shouldn't bother recruiting the top prospects because they aren't good enough to sign them.
Thank you. This is the crap that got a lot of MM coaches fired and why we are in the place we are. We have some dynamic recruiters, facilities, and hopefully have some wins in 2016. No reason you should not go after the best. If any coach on this team has that thought process, then they need to be shown the door.

Grandpa Snyder (who may be the best college football coach I've ever seen) has explicitly said that KSU doesn't pursue the top tier of recruits, knowing that they won't land them. That, however, is forced upon KSU by dint of being in Manhattan, Kansas and having no history in football prior to grandpa's arrival.

Boulder isn't Manhattan. CU isn't KSU. Colorado has, in the past, recruited at the top level. There's no reason to believe that situation can't recur. Of course, that doesn't mean you put a lot of energy into a 4* who wants to play near home in California, Texas, or Florida. But if a guy has an open mind, the Buffs should be on him.

Grandpa Snyder (who may be the best college football coach I've ever seen) has explicitly said that KSU doesn't pursue the top tier of recruits, knowing that they won't land them. That, however, is forced upon KSU by dint of being in Manhattan, Kansas and having no history in football prior to grandpa's arrival.

Boulder isn't Manhattan. CU isn't KSU. Colorado has, in the past, recruited at the top level. There's no reason to believe that situation can't recur. Of course, that doesn't mean you put a lot of energy into a 4* who wants to play near home in California, Texas, or Florida. But if a guy has an open mind, the Buffs should be on him.

And to make up for it KjcSU allows any juco player with a pulse to transfer in. Not spending time trying to recruit 5* and 4* players was JuiceBox mentality and is what sent us into the abyss.

Back