1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Let's say Boise State gets a shot at the NC against Bama

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by buffedup, Sep 26, 2010.

1. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

I have to admit, I am one of the ones rooting against BSU. Damn upstarts! They play a cupcake schedule on a smurf colored field. In their defense, they do play damn good football.

I kind of like the idea of them getting to face a team like Alabama in the NC. They finally would have the undivided attention of a team that is loaded with NFL talent, is playing with everything on the line, coached just as well, and is used to playing an absolute brutal schedule. Getting to watch 50 hung on them, with the 50 million I told you so's to follow would be extremely satisfying...of course if they somehow won, I would have no problem crowning them MNCs.

2. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

i'm all in or all out with Boise. either lose now and get it over with (as they head into WAC play....[sigh])....or run the table and beat Bama. not a lot of middle for me. worst case scenario: run the table, get pasted in the BCS Championship by Bama or Ohio State....then the whole cycle starts up again, more of the same obviousness about how "the system" sucks but will never change.

3. BuffLuKe

BuffLuKe Club Member Club Member

I think they could play with them, but Bama's backs are very good. Think Boise would wear down. Id blitz as much as possible and take my chances.

4. MiamiBuffs

MiamiBuffs Wᴉɐɯᴉ qnɟɟs Club Member

I'm rooting for Boise and any and all upstarts because I hate the BCS and I hate that we don't have playoffs. I'd love to see two non BCS schools like TCU and BSU play for the championship.

5. Unleash Hell

Unleash Hell Well-Known Member

BSU better watch out for Nevada. They are starting to make some noise

6. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

They played what will probably be a middle of the pack Pac-10 team last night and led by a TD after 3 quarters and didn't end up winning by much more, at home. The question that needs to asked is would they go undefeated playing a full Pac-10-type schedule, or a full Big 10 schedule, or a full SEC schedule, etc. The answer is a resounding no. Enough about Boise.

7. Jerry

Jerry Well-Known Member

Against a SEC team, I am cheering for BSU.

8. DesertDawg526

DesertDawg526 Resident Dawg Club Member

I'm sick of BSU.

They're a good team, but if they faced competition week in and week out their record would reflect it.

But if Oregon goes undefeated and BSU gets the nod over them then I'm okay with that:thumbsup:

9. CUBUFF80

CUBUFF80 No Stinkin' Title Club Member

BSU is a fraud, they DO NOT belong in the Title Game under any circumstances. They beat a crap Va Tech and average OSU and belong in the championship game? Gimme a break, put them in the SEC, PAC, Big 12 and they lose 3 - 4 games. I'm so sick of the hype I could puke. Play in a real conference and then let's talk.

10. OKCBuff

OKCBuff Well-Known Member

I'm all about BSU upsetting the applecart of the BCS big boys who are so afraid of little schools. I also love how people say Boise plays an easy schedule, like they turned down repeated offers to join the Big 12 or Pac-10. This program has only been in I-A since like 1996. What they have done is nothing short of amazing and I hope they keep it up. They had two very nice non-conference schedules in Oregon State and Virginia Tech. What more should they do?

11. CarolinaBuff

Nothing. They just don't deserve a shot at playing for the national title, and they need to live with the reality of that.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  12. BuffNut99

BuffNut99 Club Member Club Member

Boise still has a big road test left in Nevada, who is playing like a top 15 team themselves right now

13. OKCBuff

Just to keep playing devil's advocate here...

Why not? They were preseason top five, right? Many iffy teams have used a top five preseason ranking to be in the mix when they had no business being there.

I think stuff like this is a "Brand X" thing. We all have inherent biases because of the logos on the helmets. But if we stripped all the colors and logos off and just had team x vs. team y I think Boise would get a lot more credit than they do.

And until you get a meaningful playoff, the system is weak to a team crashing the gates like this.

14. Jerry

Jerry Well-Known Member

Why does Nebraska deserve to be in the top 10 after beating 4 cupcakes?

15. OKCBuff

But Jerry, NU is legit (ya know, the recognizable helmet and all).

16. Jerry

Jerry Well-Known Member

K-state will run all over NU. Their freshman QB will be exposed during conference play.

17. OKCBuff

I agree. Snyder will win the North IMO.

18. CarolinaBuff

I can't believe that some of you really think that KjSU will beat the fuskers. Have you noticed who KjSU has played and how they've barely beaten some of those teams?

19. Jerry

Jerry Well-Known Member

KSU has a running game and they show up big time during the 4th quarter. To me that reflects play calling, depth and well, maybe a little bit of luck. Can't see NU running the table with a freshman QB.

20. MrFrumpylane

MrFrumpylane Well-Known Member

Sorry, IMO K-stank is overrated. UCF really had to try hard to give the game away.

21. UrbanaBuff

UrbanaBuff Member

I see Ohio State in the NCG over Bama...

22. DesertDawg526

DesertDawg526 Resident Dawg Club Member

Huskers won't lose in the Mac-X

23. Costa Rica Buff

Costa Rica Buff Active Member

I see NU losing a conference game but still winning the north. No one in the b12n is that good. Heck, I'm not sure if anyone in the b12s is any good either.

24. HotRack

HotRack Rez BubbleHead Club Member

Nevada made the Top 25 for the first time since like 1948 today. I don't know exactly when Boise comes to town, but given the WAC, I very likely see Nevada running the table, getting into at least the Top 15 and helping BSU's computer rankings when they play. Nevada being in the polls just made up for VT's losing to James Madison.

BSU has historically played bad in Reno - nice to see the WAC won't be a complete pushover for them this year.

25. OKCBuff

UNR and BSU is a late-Nov contest. That's a good turn of events for the Broncs.

26. CUBUFF80

CUBUFF80 No Stinkin' Title Club Member

Which highlights what a joke BSU in the title game would be, toughest game left on the schedule is Nevada - get real.

27. CarolinaBuff

Latest Top 25 breakdown:

SEC: 6
    Big 10: 6
    Pac-10: 4
    Big 12: 3
    ACC: 2
    WAC: 2
    MWC: 2

28. wsp4820

wsp4820 Sally Club Member Junta Member

They did beat UCLA at home, which is more than some teams we know can say.

29. Crash Davis

Crash Davis MA....THE MEATLOAF!!! Club Member

I tend to agree with you, but part of me worries that the PTBs would point to BSU getting into the NC game as "proof" that "the system works" and we don't need a playoff.

As far as all the BSU hate on here, are they really one of the 2 best teams in the country? Doubtful, but they're a damn good team. They'd kick CU's ass up and down the field right now......methinks that's where much of this hate is coming from.

30. CarolinaBuff

Preseason polls are gonna exist and I don't have a problem with them, but the point is that this stuff should work itself out as the season progresses. And when a team has played the bulk of their games against the likes of La Tech, Hawaii, Utah State, SJSU, etc., it speaks for itself. Playing 1 or 2 games against opponents like that is fine and everyone does it, but 8 or 9 games against competition like this type of competition will slot you accordingly, which is far away from the national championship game.