What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Linda Lappe has resigned as WBB Head Coach

Anyone that doesn't think Ryun Williams is worth a $1.2 Million Buyout, better realize Ohio State paid $1.75 Million buyout to steal a coach from Washington away from the Pac-12 (he recruited Kelsey Plum). Either you are willing to go get a coach that will lead you to where you want to go, or you are devaluing your Women's Basketball program.

This is exactly the point- Ohio State only paid $550,000 more to land a coach who had recruited at an elite level and produced elite results at two power conference schools over a solid decade. Williams does not justify that buyout (I did not know he had that buyout prior to my previous post in which I said I wouldn't hate the hire).

Going back to 2009, here's how many HoopGurlz top 100 recruits both Kevin McGuff and Ryun Williams landed each year:

• 2016:
    • Kevin McGuff (Ohio State): 3
    • Ryun Williams (CSU): 0
  • 2015: (CU Landed 1)
    • Kevin McGuff (Ohio State): 1
  • 2014:
    • Kevin McGuff (Ohio State): 4
  • 2013:
    • Kevin McGuff (Washington): 3
  • 2012: (CU Landed 2)
    • Kevin McGuff (Washington): 1
    • Ryun Williams (South Dakota): 0
  • 2011:
  • Kevin McGuff (Xavier): 0
  • 2010:
  • Kevin McGuff (Xavier): 2
  • 2009:
    • Kevin McGuff (Xavier): 1
In total, McGuff as a HC landed 7 HoopGurlz top 100 prospects at 2 different power conference schools in the 5 classes prior to OSU paying a $1.75M buyout for him, whereas Williams has landed 0 in his past eight.

McGuff also made the NCAA Tournament 6 times a those two schools, advancing to the second round two times, and the Elite Eight once. He also made the WNIT in every season he did not make the NCAAT at Xavier and Washington, advancing to the quarterfinals twice, the round of 16 three times, and the second round four times.

In comparison, Williams has been to the WNIT 3 times, getting out of the first round once.

A $1.2M buyout is roughly 70% as much as a $1.75M buyout. Given the above, could you honestly say that Ryun Williams has been 70% as successful as Kevin McGuff prior to the latter being hired at OSU?

The biggest must for our new coach is a proven recruiter. That was Linda's big failing, imo.

I am aware of what KMM did to CU and settled. I do not think she was discriminated against, but my opinion does not matter. CU also had to pay $ to a player Ryann Ridge from Tulsa who alleged KMM promised her a scholarship and then never gave her one. KMM cost CU a lot of money.

Agreeing to pay Linda the way it has happened, is the classier way to go and will help Linda should she still want to coach.

KMM is not a head coach now nor has she been since she left CU. She worked for the Tulsa Shock as an assistant coach for 2 years and 1 year as Director of Basketball Operations. She is now Associate Head Coach, since 2013. under her sister, at Virginia.

The biggest must for our new coach is a proven recruiter. That was Linda's big failing, imo.
KMM is not a head coach now nor has she been since she left CU. She worked for the Tulsa Shock as an assistant coach for 2 years and 1 year as Director of Basketball Operations. She is now Associate Head Coach, since 2013. under her sister, at Virginia.
Agree on the need for the next coach being a good recruiter.

A nit about the McConnell clan ... they are at Pitt. Joanne Boyle is at Virginia.

A $1.2M buyout is roughly 70% as much as a $1.75M buyout. Given the above, could you honestly say that Ryun Williams has been 70% as successful as Kevin McGuff prior to the latter being hired at OSU?

All the numbers comparing getting McDonald's All-American and HoopGurlz Top-100 players is a bit disingenuous. I wouldn't expect a coach taking a job at a Div-II school like South Dakota, to take on the considerable task of transitioning to Div-I, to be able to get a player like that. Think about it, the school isn't even eligible for postseason play the first two years of Div-I play anyway. Why would top players go to a school they know they can't go to the post-season with for half their playing eligibility? To play for an unproven Div-I coach in a mid-major in a conference absolutely dominated by in-state rival SDSU Jackrabbits. That's akin to a Div II school in Wisconsin transitioning to Div-I joining the Horizon League and thinking they can knock Green Bay off the block within eight years as the conference power? For the record the South Dokota 'yotes did actually lose to SDSU Jackrabbits today, 61-55. They beat SDSU both times this season, 63-58 & 80-75 to win the regular season Summit conference championship. However, when it mattered most in the Summit conference Finals the 'yotes lost. That's a very competitive conference rivalry that should be very interesting trying to recruit the same ground in-state. However, the point is the same. The fact that Ryun built up that program in-state from Div-II to the point that they actually did knock off SDSU for the regular season championship, and were winning at the half, that's a heck of a building line item on the coaching resume for ANY coach.

That was my thought. Assistants at top schools like Baylor, Notre Dame, UCONN, Louisville, Tennessee may come from marque programs but they can't recreate the success because they have zero experience building a program. Being able to stay on top is completely different from building from scratch to get on top. Ryun Williams built South Dakota from scratch, literally from Div-II to winning the Summit regular season championship and being up one point in the Summit Conference Finals before losing a close game in the latter two periods:

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/recap?gameId=400870489

So the idea that Ryun didn't recruit McDonald's All-American and HoopGurlz Top-100 players to South Dakota just feels disingenuous, to me. My thought is really? What Mid-Major in a conference similar to the Summit Conference, with a Women's program that is only in its 8th year of Division-I is pulling down McDonald's All-American players and HoopGurlz Top-100 players? Let's not be throwing out straw men arguments, it is WOMEN'S basketball.

Ryun wasn't eligible for the post season the first two years. Year three he got that program to the WBI, Year four to the WNIT. What really could one possibly expect building a Div-I program up from Div-II in four years beyond at 76-47 record and 28-14 in conference? The 'yotes finished 2nd to SDSU his last year. They surpassed every single team in the conference except the powerhouse, in four short years. Ryun left for CSU following the 2011-12 season, but the program he built and the PROCESS he left behind is successful. Since Ryun left South Dakota the 'yotes are:

Year Overall Rec (Conf Rec) Conf. Finish Conf Tournament Postseason
2012-13 17-15 (10-6) 3rd Lost in Final WBI, L - SemiFinals - McNeese St. 71-63
2013-14 19-14 (7-7) 1st Champions NCAA, L - 1st Rd - Stanford 81-62
2014-15 25-7 (13-3) 1st Lost in Final WNIT, L - 2nd Rd - N. Colo. 59-58
2015-16 26-6 (15-1) 1st Lost in Final ?? (61st RPI, 2nd Summit school in NCAA?)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
87-42 45-17

So after building a program from Div-II to Div I, and a power to give SDSU all it can handle in the Summit Conference every season, Ryun transferred to CSU. Leaving the Summit Conf mid-major program at South Dakota for the CSU job in the Mountain West, we really expect an unproven MW coach to get McDonald's All American's and HoopGurlz Top-100 players, pulling them away from the Pac-12, Big-12, ACC, SEC and Big-10? I think, again, that would be disingenuous.

Ryun Williams has a proven process, and is a proven coach that can take middling level recruits and talent and get the absolute best out of them. When/if Ryun gets a chance to coach in a power-5 conference, he's going to disrupt the hierarchy of that conference the same manner he has done it in the Summit and the MW conferences.

Unless the argument that Ryun can't replicate his process and acumen with actual good players he'll finally have access to? Let's evaluate Ryun getting McDonald's All-Americans and HoopGurlz Top-100 players when he's at a top school. Okay?

Ryun will be more successful in a Div-I power-5 conference than anyone currently realizes. Ten years from now, everyone will see the progression was obvious. That $1.2 million buyout would give CU a legitimate coach who absolute has an acumen for the games, intimately understands how to recruit in contested regions, is an Xs Os ball coach, and who will build any legitimate conference program into a perennial Top-25 Women's power. Ryun Williams can do that just with his international players. When he actually gets to a program that can reasonably recruit McDonald's All-American players and HoopGurlz Top-100? Watch out.

RG don't screw this up.

Last edited:
I am aware of what KMM did to CU and settled. I do not think she was discriminated against, but my opinion does not matter. CU also had to pay $ to a player Ryann Ridge from Tulsa who alleged KMM promised her a scholarship and then never gave her one. KMM cost CU a lot of money.

Agreeing to pay Linda the way it has happened, is the classier way to go and will help Linda should she still want to coach.

Anyone who believes CU had any choice in the matter, when it comes to paying off Linda's contract, after firing her, is completely misinformed. RG stating publicly that CU will honor the contract doesn't actually mean the University had any choice in the matter. An athletics coach begin fired for poor performance has nothing to do with cause. Linda was fired. Letting her "resign" is window dressing.

CU also had to honor KMM's contract, when she was fired. Those monies owed to her contractually had nothing to do with the additional settlement for the Title IX allegations she brought forth.

Lmao at CU paying over $2mil in buyouts for a WBB coach (between Williams and Lappe)

Ryun Williams seems like a solid coach but I don't quite get the passionate support for him at this stage. There must be other options and they all must have their pros and cons.

Personally I want a top assistant. I am intrigued to see another hire by George.

That was my thought. Assistants at top schools like Baylor, Notre Dame, UCONN, Louisville, Tennessee may come from marque programs but they can't recreate the success because they have zero experience building a program. Being able to stay on top is completely different from building from scratch to get on top. Ryun Williams built South Dakota from scratch, literally from Div-II to winning the Summit regular season championship and being up one point in the Summit Conference Finals before losing a close game in the latter two periods:

RG don't screw this up.[/QUOTE]

RWAG, I think its more then a little disingenuous to say that Assistants at top schools can't recreate success; Vic Schafer is a great example. Left Texas A&M shortly after winning a National Championship and in two years has turned Mississippi State into the second best team in the SSC and a top 15 program. You seem to be a bit overly passionate about your opinions, hence stating them as facts.

CU will need a proven Top 100 recruiter, in my opinion.

A passionate response that seems to be treating opinion entirely as fact. The recruiting HAS to be a questionable part of Williams' resume.

Duff Man, Couldn't agree more.
RWAG sounds eerily like the always supportive and malleable cohoozpfan from twitter.

Ryun Williams seems like a solid coach but I don't quite get the passionate support for him at this stage. There must be other options and they all must have their pros and cons.

There is only one person on this thread advocating passionately for Ryun Williams. My conceptualization of who will work doesn't include Williams. He hasn't been at CSU long enough to see if he can sustain success. And there is recruiting, it seems his success from foreigners and jucos. He's not getting top 100 caliber players from the US. That's what it will take to be successful at CU.

RG should look both assistants and head coaches. Either way there needs to be solid evidence that (s)he can both recruit and coach.

RG don't screw this up.

If Rick George fails to capitalize on this opportunity to start a home-and-home football series with CSU in exchange for a women's basketball coach – and if he also bypasses the chance to spend like CU is Ohio State – then at least @ryunwilliamzfan is still available on Twitter. Or at least it was a couple minutes ago.

Ryun will be more successful in a Div-I power-5 conference than anyone currently realizes. Ten years from now, everyone will see the progression was obvious. That $1.2 million buyout would give CU a legitimate coach who absolute has an acumen for the games, intimately understands how to recruit in contested regions, is an Xs Os ball coach, and who will build any legitimate conference program into a perennial Top-25 Women's power. Ryun Williams can do that just with his international players. When he actually gets to a program that can reasonably recruit McDonald's All-American players and HoopGurlz Top-100? Watch out.
RG don't screw this up.

My point wasn't (and isn't) that Ryun Williams can't or won't recruit at the next level, it's just that everything that you questioned in retrospect about LL could also fairly apply to Ryun Williams.

For $1.2M, I would expect to get someone with a lot more similar resume to Kevin McGuff (i.e. Power Conference HC experience, proven recruiting chops, etc.). There is a pretty big difference in paying over $1M buyout for a coach with experience at a D-2 program, a nascent D-1 program, and a mid-major with some middling success to show vs. paying a similar amount for a HC with success at two power conference programs.

Finally, I am not so sure that Williams' experience in building programs is relevant here. It's nice to say that he built South Dakota from nothing and rebuilt CSU, but CU has been a historically relevant Women's Basketball program and has a freshman class that is top 25.

I appreciate, but don't understand, your enthusiasm for Williams. It's almost as if you have a personally vested interest in whether CU hires him or not.

Last edited:
........I don't appreciate, but don't understand, your enthusiasm for Williams. It's almost as if you have a personally vested interest in whether CU hires him or not.

Very possible that RWAG IS personally vested in CU hiring Williams. RWAG only joined Allbuffs last Friday and, as I type this, has only had 9 posts. All 9 are related to LL and the CU WBB coaching situation.... 5 in the original "what will RG do" thread and the last 4 in this thread started after LL resigned.

Very possible that RWAG IS personally vested in CU hiring Williams. RWAG only joined Allbuffs last Friday and, as I type this, has only had 9 posts. All 9 are related to LL and the CU WBB coaching situation.... 5 in the original "what will RG do" thread and the last 4 in this thread started after LL resigned.

First part of the abbreviated name = RW = Ryun Williams...things that make you go "hmm" (excuse me while I go put away my tinfoil hat)

Does Toby have a sister? I was at a luncheon where Chris Hill indicated search firms meant he wasn't doing his job. Basically, he said a big part of his job was to keep track of coaching trends do he always had a list of candidates for any coach with an opening.

Dammit RG. You're better than this.
Dude. Not only is this not football, it's basketball. not only is it basketball, it's women's basketball. Be happy he did something.

(Snark aside, a search firm is not necessarily a bad thing. Allows all parties deniability and discretion... if anything, I think this shows that RG is dedicated to finding a good candidate the right way).

"Using one in the process" not "turning over process to a search firm". Different than what Bohn did at times.

Those firms are helpful. Makes me think RG is targeting current HCs. Search firms allow deniability when the coach or university are linked by the media and asked if they have spoken. "No" (because it's the search firm and agent who have talked to each other about the job).

"Using one in the process" not "turning over process to a search firm". Different than what Bohn did at times.

Those firms are helpful. Makes me think RG is targeting current HCs. Search firms allow deniability when the coach or university are linked by the media and asked if they have spoken. "No" (because it's the search firm and agent who have talked to each other about the job).

Yes and it also keeps Ceal somewhat out of the equation than she has been in the past. I like the idea of using a search firm to keep Ceal from being in charge. I also like the RG said the final decision would be his.

Recruiting chops a must. Also, recall how many bridges Mike Mac needed to repair with the local coaches after a decade of decline. That most of the top HS girls' basketball prospects are hardly considering CU means there is a mountain of work to be done here. High school and AAU coach relationships. Let's get a tireless worker who can get their trust back, stat.

RWAG

Because it's your opinion doesn't mean its a fact. It is clear that you are Cohoopzfan, you have been attacking this program, its coaches, fans and even players all season. It has gotten to the point where multiple players and their families have asked you to stop. Local media has even blocked you from their social media.Your attacks on Lappe, Berry and Kennedy Leonard have been particularly ugly and hateful. In addition to this you make up facts and statistics to support your attacks and opinions.

A few examples:
  • Leonards Assistant/TO ratio was 1.25/1.00 on the season and over 1.1/1 in conference play.
  • Leonard was recognized as Freshman First Team, hence a Top 2 Freshman PGs in the conference.
  • Robinson was honorable mention; how many other teams had two members?
  • From a recognition perspective this is arguably the best class in the Pac 12 this year, exceeding their #4 preseason conference rank and #25 National rank.

You state: "Everything is relative and there is a reason those players were not recruited to UCONN, Baylor, Notre Dame, Oregon State, Maryland, Louisville etc"
  • How would you possibly know who recruited these players? I followed both Robinsons and Leonards recruiting journey and know that with the exception of UConn and ND every school you listed recruited one or both of them.
You constantly site secondary ranking services ignoring nationally relevant services--As BeBe shared:
Looking into the 2015 classes: according to ProspectsNation,
Oregon State's three member 2015 freshman class players were ranked
#70(4* McWilliams), #119(4* Kalmer), and #137(4* Green). I do not see any PG ranked in the top 7 in the Oregon State class.
Colorado's four member freshman class players were ranked
#42 (4* Leonard), #117(4* Burich), #118(4* Robinson), and NR 4*(Ellis, who was injured her senior year).That seems quite comparable to OSU's class to me.
Oregon's 3 player class for 2015 were one player NR(3* Gildon), International #7 ( 4* Cazorla), and International #20 (3* Yearwood).
The USA players and the International players are ranked separately. So you cannot just drop that distinction. Maite Cazorla, clearly a very good player, is that #7 International player. She was given a 4 star ranking. In the list of USA players, 4 star players were numbers 9 thru 150 plus an additional 42 more that were not ranked, for a total of 184 four star players. So where would Cazorla have been ranked if she were a USA player? It could be anywhere from 9 thru 192. It would not be #7. The #20 ranked International player in their 2015 class was a 3 star player. So she would have been, at best, #193 if she had been a USA player.

While i'm sure Williams has done a nice job at CSU lets not forget that with all that incredible CSU talent and his superior coaching skills CSU was only able to secure a 1pt win on a last second shot at home in December vs. CU.

CU WBB can and should do better and so can you RWAG/Cohoopafan

Whatever the content, you have to love the dedication.

Interesting comments about Tad.

Whatever the content, you have to love the dedication.

Interesting comments about Tad.

Lost me at "smoke and mirrors defense".

In case what is being watched is overly complex or confusing to people, I'll see if I can explain it.

Tad's team plays man defense.

Regarding the rest, I lost interest after being called provincial and seeing that poor analysis of the men's program.

Like @Darth Snow , I love the passion. But I'm left doubting that there's anything there that justifies reading the treatise. I assume a lot of impressions and opinion that isn't justified along with another call to pay millions to get CSU's coach for the WBB program.

Go get that coach from So Dak St. Talk about a resume!

And he does it, without importing 3/4 of his team from Europe; unlike Ryun Williams. (And you know how much I generally like Euros.)

Minny-so-cold tried to get him recently, but why move "next door" and continue to freeze your a** off? Now a job in Boulder with the PAC is a much better prospect.

Back