What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Lindgren, Sefo, OL, Play Calling, OH MY

Sefo wouldn't block on that play, he would hand off and get out of the way. If you make Sefo the runner, now those two RB's are blockers.
I could be wrong, but I don't remember seeing both RB in front of him, only Powel. Doesn't really matter, like I said he is no real threat we need to hand the ball off. I am not going to bash on the coaches too much we did get the win! Now that's all that matters.

By eliminating the FB, and only having only 2 guys in the backfield, you take an extra defender out of the box to help with run support. The QB is a wasted player and gives the defense numbers when all he does is turn around and hand the ball off.
Because if the QB carries it both Powell and Lindsay are blocking. That's where the extra blocker comes from.
This is contradicting someone is wrong, just saying...

I thought this was the UCLA pre game thread not another Digger "I hate Lindgren (and Sefo)" thread.
I don't hate him, I just don't like his play calling and wish him the best at a MWC school after the year when he receives the Baer treatment. Defend in season, let him go after the season.

UCLA has a stud young true frosh QB. They have recruited light years ahead of CU and have a ton of talent. CU played them tough last year and UCLA lost one of their best players from that team. UCLA went dormant against ASU and Stanford and got rocked but has played pretty well all year. Need them to play a game similar to ASU or BYU to have a shot.

Buffs will need to score 38 or more to win in my opinion. I don't know if we can do that if we don't really put the foot on the gas pedal and keep from pumping the breaks. I don't expect a win, but will be rooting for them to do so.

BTW, I would love to see Lindgren keep his job by helping this team go 3-2 to end the season. Need to get a lead on UCLA and then get up by two scores and force UCLA into the mistakes that cost them in their two losses.

Your vendetta against BL and Sefo is just weird at this point. I thought the narrative last week was "just win; Sefo/BL don't ever win," but now that they won the narrative is different?

Any rate, I also wanted to point out that while only 4:11 came off the clock in those series, they also ate all 3 of OSU's timeouts on the last series.
I have questioned the play calling and execution. That is what has kept CU from getting wins. If that idiot REC doesn't have a PI and we give up a TD that series and lose by 3, the warm fuzzy feeling is not the same. We aren't the most talented defense, so we need to get up by two scores to give them some breathing room. That is key to getting victories in the Pac 12. We have one in the last 15 games. Will take some cajones to get a win in the last 5 games, not the status quo.

I have questioned the play calling and execution. That is what has kept CU from getting wins. If that idiot REC doesn't have a PI and we give up a TD that series and lose by 3, the warm fuzzy feeling is not the same. We aren't the most talented defense, so we need to get up by two scores to give them some breathing room. That is key to getting victories in the Pac 12. We have one in the last 15 games. Will take some cajones to get a win in the last 5 games, not the status quo.

Ok. I played along a bit, but this is the pre-game thread for UCLA. Not everyone who visits AB is on here for hours a day, so I like to keep the topical threads clean for them. I'll take some time to prune the side conversation into a new thread (which is a pain in the ass). In the future, I ask everyone to keep threads such as this one on topic. Thank you.

This is contradicting someone is wrong, just saying...
Buffnik and S2S are correct in that, with 2 RBs and Sefo back there, the 2 RBs are the blockers. I was referring to when they've ran the QB off tackle with just CP leading. Both sentiments are right, but they are different situations and personnel packages.

Ok. I played along a bit, but this is the pre-game thread for UCLA. Not everyone who visits AB is on here for hours a day, so I like to keep the topical threads clean for them. I'll take some time to prune the side conversation into a new thread (which is a pain in the ass). In the future, I ask everyone to keep threads such as this one on topic. Thank you.
Sorry Nik. People calling a grind it out victory are crazy BTW. You aren't going to win against an offense that can score on any play by only putting up 20 points. Need to eat clock, while putting points on the board. A 38-30 win can be done doing that. ASU-UCLA game is a good case in point. ASU got up big and UCLA has the horses to fight back. Must avoid a deficit of more than 10 points, but also must not be content being up by 3-7 points with the ball in the second half. Get that two score lead and force UCLA to alter play calling.

The bruins may be without their top 2 RB's their top LB and their #3 WR. The RB's being out helps us immensely. Puts more pressure on the true freshman to perform.

I thought this was the UCLA pre game thread not another Digger "I hate Lindgren (and Sefo)" thread.

Now that Tini has been killed died has been made to disappear the Junta's not so secret death squad police internal security apparatus needs a new target for its Guantanamo Bay

Now that Tini has been killed died has been made to disappear the Junta's not so secret death squad police internal security apparatus needs a new target for its Guantanamo Bay
I find it very laughable that the entire buffzone chat today centered around Lindgren's play calling being atrocious, yet I get lit up for questioning it.

FWIW, I believe Steve Logan will make for a good OC hire after the season is finished.

I find it very laughable that the entire buffzone chat today centered around Lindgren's play calling being atrocious, yet I get lit up for questioning it.

FWIW, I believe Steve Logan will make for a good OC hire after the season is finished.
dude, you were leading that charge. Creating your own news cycle. We have higher standards than Buffzone here. I don't think the "FIRE LINDGREN RAA" crowd did themselves any favors with their questions. Seemed like kids who didn't like the answers they got. You can't just say, Ok the OL is bad, but THAT DOESN'T MATTER because RAGE.

I know a lot of fans feel the same way you do on the play calling.

I believe that he's been good in the past, though, so I'm looking at some of the things I question as an OC doing the best he can with a bad hand (OL issues and a QB who inexplicably couldn't make simple reads/throws that he'd made in the past).

And at the end of the day, I think it's an execution issue more than a play call issue. When I've re-watched games or series, almost the entire problem is that while the play is there if everyone did his job we see missed assignments or guys simply not getting it done. So many missed opportunities and so little that can be relied on. Asking an OC to work around that, not have bread & butter plays he can count on, and catch the defense off guard all the time is a hell of a lot to ask.

When I see the offense executing what's called and still getting stuffed consistently, then I'll be right there with you.

3. Conclusion: The OC needs to be fired since he can't deliver better than a Top 50 offense with these limitations.
For me, I don't think Mac or JL have the chops on offense. This dink and dunk, eat the clock type offense may work in other conferences, but IMO in the PAC12 we need to be averaging 40 pts a game...and I don't see that happening with this philosophy on O. Maybe they are using it to keep the D off the field, IDK, I just think it's really ineffective in our conference.

dude, you were leading that charge. Creating your own news cycle. We have higher standards than Buffzone here. I don't think the "FIRE LINDGREN RAA" crowd did themselves any favors with their questions. Seemed like kids who didn't like the answers they got. You can't just say, Ok the OL is bad, but THAT DOESN'T MATTER because RAGE.
The OL gets all the blame in your replies. I have included them in fault. You do little fact presenting or finding. I have presented endless facts. Let's continue to look at 14 straight losses, until OSU, and the offense going completely quiet for stretches.

It seems you are not a fan of facts. Unfortunately Tini had to personally attack people but he presented valid facts/reasoning. I present facts/reasoning and can just realize you are completely idiotic for not being able to look at Lindgren's history of going cold for long stretches that have caused games we had a chance to win become a loss. It is a different game against Arizona AND Oregon State if you are up by two scores at any point in the second half. The opportunity was there, we didn't take it. We punted it away. Want to know the difference between a similar WSU team and CU? Sustained drives and guts on play calling. CU can't trade punches because they quit throwing them and just throw their gloves against their face hoping to not get knocked down.

For me, I don't think Mac or JL have the chops on offense. This dink and dunk, eat the clock type offense may work in other conferences, but IMO in the PAC12 we need to be averaging 40 pts a game...and I don't see that happening with this philosophy on O. Maybe they are using it to keep the D off the field, IDK, I just think it's really ineffective in our conference.

You nailed it. It's about keeping our defense off the field. It's about camouflaging deficiencies in pass protection. It's about getting Sefo into a rhythm with easy completions. Buffs make a lot of 1st downs and eat a lot of clock on offense.

I don't believe for a second that slants, double-moves, crossing patterns, draw plays and designed rollouts simply aren't in the playbook. Lindgren's compensating for deficiencies on both sides of the ball.

Digger, your arguments have been refuted with multiple facts. So you do realize you are completely misrepresenting facts such as defense, right? and ever wonder if our conservative head coach is the reason why we go conservative?

Have you actually looked at washington state?

Anyways, you just want to rage, so go at it. If you think firing lindgren will fix the offensive issues, you are wrong. Fact. Not that he's perfect, but he's better than average iyam.

The bruins may be without their top 2 RB's their top LB and their #3 WR. The RB's being out helps us immensely. Puts more pressure on the true freshman to perform.
To which players are you referring?

I was thinking about how different UCLA will look Saturday vs. how we thought they'd look back in July:

• Myles Jack is injured, out
  • Eddie VanderDoes is injured, out
  • Starting CB Fabian Moreau is injured, out
  • RB Paul Perkins is injured, questionable-to-doubtful Saturday
  • LB Isaako Savainnea is injured, probably out Saturday
  • RB Nate Starks is injured, out Saturday
It feels like there might be one or two more that I'm missing, but that's a pretty significant list.

To which players are you referring?

I was thinking about how different UCLA will look Saturday vs. how we thought they'd look back in July:

• Myles Jack is injured, out
  • Eddie VanderDoes is injured, out
  • Starting CB Fabian Moreau is injured, out
  • RB Paul Perkins is injured, questionable-to-doubtful Saturday
  • LB Isaako Savainnea is injured, probably out Saturday
  • RB Nate Starks is injured, out Saturday
It feels like there might be one or two more that I'm missing, but that's a pretty significant list.

Perkins,
Savainnea
Fuller

All injured this weekend.

You nailed it. It's about keeping our defense off the field. It's about camouflaging deficiencies in pass protection. It's about getting Sefo into a rhythm with easy completions. Buffs make a lot of 1st downs and eat a lot of clock on offense.

I don't believe for a second that slants, double-moves, crossing patterns, draw plays and designed rollouts simply aren't in the playbook. Lindgren's compensating for deficiencies on both sides of the ball.
I guess to me I see opening it up and actually putting some points on the board is more important and that would help the D..I'd rather go 3 and out stretching the field than doing the same thing running between the tackles. We've shown some explosiveness but continue to run this crappy O. I don't have any answers and they certainly have more info and expertise than me, I just think it's not working so why not try something different. >shoulder shrug<

You do realize you are completely misrepresenting facts such as defense, right? and ever wonder if our conservative head coach is the reason why we go conservative?

Have you actually looked at washington state?
Please actually show what facts I am misrepresenting or just stick to playing name calling cop and banning people.

The head coach wasn't conservative when SJSU was putting up big numbers. He let Lindgren put points up.

My problem lies in one fact, we quit going for blood when we get a lead. It has been an ongoing problem. I presented these facts. You cried OL and Defensive issues. I pointed to the defense holding Arizona, Oregon State and Oregon (at times) with a lead or close game and the offense not eating yardage or clock and having to punt. That is a fact. Please present some facts besides the OL struggles. Last I checked against Oregon State, the OL was allowing the RBs to pick up some nice chunks of yards and only had Sefo pressured 3-4 times and Sefo rolled out and hit some nice balls on a couple of those. Facts. I present them. You continue to bring up that word, but not have anything to support your case.

You don't know what facts are, yet you keep saying that word.

Your evidence for why we go conservative with a lead (and that it's lindgren's call) is very very weak. Please support.

I'm confused about your analysis of the offense against OSU. I don't think you are representing what happened. You also didn't account for the loss of the OL as the game went on.

I guess to me I see opening it up and actually putting some points on the board is more important and that would help the D..I'd rather go 3 and out stretching the field than doing the same thing running between the tackles. We've shown some explosiveness but continue to run this crappy O. I don't have any answers and they certainly have more info and expertise than me, I just think it's not working so why not try something different. >shoulder shrug<

I don't think we disagree.

It's just that it's a different complaint every week from all of us. We get mad because Lindgren doesn't feed the rock to Lindsay and the other backs. We get mad because Lindgren doesn't utilize the zone read enough. We get mad because Lindgren puts too much on Sefo's arm. We get mad because Lindgren doesn't air it out.

So I think we're just mad and the truth is probably that the execution has been very inconsistent, especially in pressure situations.

I don't think we disagree.

It's just that it's a different complaint every week from all of us. We get mad because Lindgren doesn't feed the rock to Lindsay and the other backs. We get mad because Lindgren doesn't utilize the zone read enough. We get mad because Lindgren puts too much on Sefo's arm. We get mad because Lindgren doesn't air it out.

So I think we're just mad and the truth is probably that the execution has been very inconsistent, especially in pressure situations.
I'll buy that for a dollar. I think the criticism about the dink and dunk philosophy transcends the week to week stuff, but could be wrong.

I'm not sure what they ran at SJSU when they had good defense, so IDK if it's covering up weaknesses or just their philosophy. Any know anything about their O during their 11 win season?

If we are going to all of a sudden credit Lindgren for his good year at SJSU, isn't that evidence he shouldn't be fired?

I'll buy that for a dollar. I think the criticism about the dink and dunk philosophy transcends the week to week stuff, but could be wrong.

I'm not sure what they ran at SJSU when they had good defense, so IDK if it's covering up weaknesses or just their philosophy. Any know anything about their O during their 11 win season?

Lots of QB rollouts on pass plays and featured the TE in the passing game. What does that tell you? Passed the ball close to 60% of the time.

Aspiring to be like Wazzu is weird considering Leach handed us our only win in '12 by being overly aggressive late in the game.

I don't think the playcalling has been as good as last year, but I don't think it warrants a firing yet.

Lots of QB rollouts on pass plays and featured the TE in the passing game. What does that tell you? Passed the ball close to 60% of the time.
I'm kinda dense...what conclusion do you draw?

If I'm going to pick out specifics I'm annoyed at, it's the lack of TE involvement in the O. Every time he touches the ball it goes for 10+ yards. Seems a good way to keep the LBs honest and help the running game.

I'm kinda dense...what conclusion do you draw?

If I'm going to pick out specifics I'm annoyed at, it's the lack of TE involvement in the O. Every time he touches the ball it goes for 10+ yards. Seems a good way to keep the LBs honest and help the running game.

The conclusion I draw is that CU doesn't have the talent to run what they want to run. We'll see a very different offense when Montez is getting outside the pocket and we've got a receiving TE in Keeney ready to go.

Sefo's a pocket passer who they're asking to run more than he's suited to do in order to open up more of the playbook.

Irwin's a very good blocking TE who has become reliable as a receiver, but he's not going to outrun anyone on a Pac-12 defense except for maybe the NT.

You don't know what facts are, yet you keep saying that word.

Your evidence for why we go conservative with a lead (and that it's lindgren's call) is very very weak. Please support.

I'm confused about your analysis of the offense against OSU. I don't think you are representing what happened. You also didn't account for the loss of the OL as the game went on.
You are like talking to a wall. You are dense. Again, with you, using the term misrepresenting in another form. We have lost OL repeatedly at different times this season. The problem is the plays called though. Not the personnel. I pointed these out. Repeatedly OSU put 8 in the box with man coverage and dared CU for a quick slant for 5-7. We refused. On the 3rd and 1 and 3rd and 4, OSU knew they were runs, play action or quick pass solves that. I understand, you are part of the crowd that says but look at everything but the overriding problem. We had a problem putting away games last year and making key boneheaded turnovers. This year we struggle putting teams away because we bunker down instead of calling something that may just put the game away. Spruce is playing a reserve DB that was a WR earlier in the year, let's quit throwing it his way! We need a yard, let's run a slow developing sweep when we have a 6'-4", 240 lb QB. Lindgren has been a problem this year and in the past from his 3rd and long play calls being screens, draws, runs and anything but downfield and that long is from 7 yards to 15 yards, not just 3rd and 15 or longer. Need to grow some nuts play calling wise the next 5 weeks or we are going to be out of the game come the 4th quarter in EVERY game.

Yea, it's like you live in an ideal world where you can just ignore our talent deficiencies. I'm glad Lindgren doesn't.

Back