What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Lindgren, Sefo, OL, Play Calling, OH MY

Good thing we weren't battling injuries today. For the past three years I've been hearing about how lucky we were to keep the game close with UCLA and how next year they are going to really give us a beating.

Yep. CU missing Fields had no impact on the game. Irwin not being there on the OL doesn't change things either. Glad all the meaningful injuries were on the UCLA side.

****. CU can play with teams as talented as UCLA now. Should have won today.

Yep. CU missing Fields had no impact on the game. Irwin not being there on the OL doesn't change things either. Glad all the meaningful injuries were on the UCLA side.

Your second to last sentence is why I started the talent disparity thread. Is there really that big of a gap between our starters and most of the other P12 teams?

Your second to last sentence is why I started the talent disparity thread. Is there really that big of a gap between our starters and most of the other P12 teams?

There really isn't that big of a difference. Especially now that this is becoming an older team with all the gray shirting and redshirting and a veteran team with all the game action most of the starters have had.

There really isn't that big of a difference. Especially now that this is becoming an older team with all the gray shirting and redshirting and a veteran team with all the game action most of the starters have had.

At the most important position on the field, there still generally is a talent gap.

At the most important position on the field, there still generally is a talent gap.

If Mac gets next year, which seems likely with the OSU win, I wonder if he goes all in on Montez next year? Seems so bizarre with how he has stuck with Sefo through thick and thin, though.

I would argue that the most important position for this team is the Offensive Line and, in that case, you're right. That is where the most noticeable difference is, IMO. Hell, even the front seven looked like they held their own just fine today.

And that's the main issue. If we had a dominate OL to go along with dominant RBs like we did in the 2000s, we'd be just fine with a Sefo level QB. But when you've just got a team that's able to match up you really need a dynamic QB to put you over the top.

If Mac gets next year, which seems likely with the OSU win, I wonder if he goes all in on Montez next year? Seems so bizarre with how he has stuck with Sefo through thick and thin, though.
I could see some rotating with Montez bringing a better running threat, but unless he is far and away the best QB in camp, I doubt he would go full blown Montez as starter. Just my speculation though.

And that's the main issue. If we had a dominate OL to go along with dominant RBs like we did in the 2000s, we'd be just fine with a Sefo level QB. But when you've just got a team that's able to match up you really need a dynamic QB to put you over the top.
Exactly. Pesavento was all we needed.

He needs to totally throw it open ... starting in Spring Practice and continuing into the fall. No points give for past (and often poor) performance.

I was in the car for this drive and told my wife it could be a program defining drive. Unfortunately, it was.

That drive, and the 3 n out after UCLA's fumbled kickoff in the 3rd. The offense is so bad at seizing momentum.

The pick 6 hurt, but our defense did get it back on the 'fumble 6,' so I'm not all that upset about it, other than Sefo had some room and could have tucked it and run. He probably doesn't make it, but the field goal is at least a few yards shorter.

I hope Ross does nothing but catching drills all week. As much grief as we're giving Sefo, he did make two big throws that Ross should have caught.

Reactions: aik
I could see some rotating with Montez bringing a better running threat, but unless he is far and away the best QB in camp, I doubt he would go full blown Montez as starter. Just my speculation though.

I mean the staff has got to see the same **** we do right? We see every week Sefo play decently, sometimes better sometimes worse, and when the game is on the line he does not make a play. He doesn't. At some point you have to know this and go with someone else. If your QB can't win a 1 score game, you aren't going to win many games in the P12.

Part of the staff's conservative approach to everything. Cannot risk trying another QB....just like we cannot risk running back a punt.

If MikMac gets another year, and personally I am not sure it is a given at this point, I predict more threads like this one. Sefo will likely get every snap next year, because he has, you know, the most experience.

Lots of raw nerves around here tonight. Understandable.

That drive, and the 3 n out after UCLA's fumbled kickoff in the 3rd. The offense is so bad at seizing momentum.

The pick 6 hurt, but our defense did get it back on the 'fumble 6,' so I'm not all that upset about it, other than Sefo had some room and could have tucked it and run. He probably doesn't make it, but the field goal is at least a few yards shorter.

I hope Ross does nothing but catching drills all week. As much grief as we're giving Sefo, he did make two big throws that Ross should have caught.
Sefo underthrew that 2nd almost TD pass. Not Ross' fault despite announcers' opinions.

I mean the staff has got to see the same **** we do right? We see every week Sefo play decently, sometimes better sometimes worse, and when the game is on the line he does not make a play. He doesn't. At some point you have to know this and go with someone else. If your QB can't win a 1 score game, you aren't going to win many games in the P12.
I'd think the coaches see it. But someone, Montez maybe, has to step up and take the job. I have to believe the coaches evaluate and put the guy who gives us the best chance to win out on the field.

Sefo underthrew that 2nd almost TD pass. Not Ross' fault despite announcers' opinions.

He may have under thrown it. But every coach and player in every receiver meeting and every practice has a motto that is never disputed: if you can get your hands on it, you've got to catch it.

Good to see the momentum has picked up. Let's also realize Sefo is limited. Under threw Ross on that sure TD that could have been the ball game. Played alright but still not impressive. Montez in 16.

He may have under thrown it. But every coach and player in every receiver meeting and every practice has a motto that is never disputed: if you can get your hands on it, you've got to catch it.
Kid did everything he could short of becoming a yoga masterling to catch that pass. Sefo puts that out farther, he doesn't miss it. Sometimes that mantra only goes so far. QB has to be held responsible at some point.

This. I'm not trying to get too down on Ross, because HR is right it was underthrown, but at that point in the game the catch has to be made.

Dropped passes aren't new with Ross whether it was a good throw or not. Good WR's make those catches. You won't catch everything but those were daggers.

Dropped passes aren't new with Ross whether it was a good throw or not. Good WR's make those catches. You won't catch everything but those were daggers.
You have to be kidding me on the 2nd one. A dagger? Come on. It was a looper and Ross was bent over backwards to get it. Maybe his fault was not turning around to get it, but that was Sefo's bad, not Ross'. The first one? Different story.

You have to be kidding me on the 2nd one. A dagger? Come on. It was a looper and Ross was bent over backwards to get it. Maybe his fault was not turning around to get it, but that was Sefo's bad, not Ross'. The first one? Different story.

Honestly, I'm confident Fields would have caught the last one. I have no doubt Spruce would have.

And even if you discount the one that he had to look back for which I don't the other one couldn't have been thrown better. It was in his hands with his arms extended in front of him in stride and he dropped it, flat out dropped it. No excuse for that one.

Back