What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Link to Coach Mac talking now

The truth is, Embree can have his 3rd year. He just has to get to 3-4 wins now with the schedule he has left to get that opportunity. He gave up all the easy games on the schedule, his team flat out quit at Fresno, so now he has 9 games to get 3 or 4 wins and I would consider bringing him back. Stealing some victories from better teams seems like a fair trade off to losing to the **** programs we did in the first 3 weeks. If he can pull it off, then let's follow Mac's lead here. Tough road to hoe though. He'll have one of his best opportunities to win this week against WSU. Better make the most of it.

Quit at Fresno? But Embree said "the effort was there" :lol:

In his role with Promise Keepers, he saw the huge breakdown in the black family especially with black men.
I was expecting you to link a study from the FRC to support this post.

Why are you so defensive of him?
I felt like the first page of this thread was headed the wrong way. I don't care if anyone disagrees with him.

I totally respect the man. He is the one who set the bar that is the standard we all want to achieve and why we are so upset where we are now. I have no problem with anyone disagreeing with his points of view. I just think he has earned our respect. Comments like, "I know, and it's sad. It's getting to be a little like "Mac escaped from the nursing home again and held a surprise press conference before we could find out" are out of line.

Last edited:
Just listened to it. How many times are we going to hear the "in order to build skyscrapers we need to dig a really deep foundation" line? We're not building f**king skyscrapers, we're trying to win football games. We can't even build a g**dam practice facility.

Dbt, I dont think any Buff fan doesnt respect Mac, I completely do. I think we are all just tired of living on past glory.

Dbt, I dont think any Buff fan doesnt respect Mac, I completely do. I think we are all just tired of living on past glory.
You need to go back to the beginning of this thread, luke. Read every post.

I felt like the first page of this thread was headed the wrong way. I don't care if anyone disagrees with him.

I totally respect the man. He is the one who set the bar that is the standard we all want to achieve and why we are so upset where we are now. I have no problem with anyone disagreeing with his points of view. I just think he has earned our respect. Comments like, "I know, and it's sad. It's getting to be a little like "Mac escaped from the nursing home again and held a surprise press conference before we could find out" are out of line.
Here I've been wondering for three pages if I was the one getting called out... I love Mac, I appreciate the standard that he set for the program, and maybe my joke was over the top. But he needs to stay out of the decision making part of the program right now. It just felt like he was up there defending his decision to push Embree, not necessarily endorse Embree the coach. I was hoping his bend would be to support our players, because they have been getting called out (arguably warranted), but they cannot defend themselves. Embree can, and although I don't want to hear what he has to say right now, I don't like the way that he is managing the program and it kills me when someone I admire tries to defend the indefensible.

Just listened to it. How many times are we going to hear the "in order to build skyscrapers we need to dig a really deep foundation" line? We're not building f**king skyscrapers, we're trying to win football games. We can't even build a g**dam practice facility.
:lol: Yeah, he loves metaphors, doesn't he?

Not sure if this has been brought up or should be brought up but what if Mac had been hired instead of Embree. Where do you think we stand?

Bear in mind Embree - when asked - said he was satisfied with the effort v Fresno. That is EXTREMELY concerning in my book as he basically says our talent is 55 points worse than ****ing Fresno's.

Not sure if this has been brought up or should be brought up but what if Mac had been hired instead of Embree. Where do you think we stand?

Personally, I was kind of excited for that possibility. I thought it would've played out pretty nicely if there was some success: Embree or Bienemy replaces him. If there isn't success, then he can ride off to the sunset and have no influence on the next hire. I'm not sure if either of them would've coached under him though.

Personally, I was kind of excited for that possibility. I thought it would've played out pretty nicely if there was some success: Embree or Bienemy replaces him. If there isn't success, then he can ride off to the sunset and have no influence on the next hire. I'm not sure if either of them would've coached under him though.

It would have been a disaster of epic proportions. Mac is long gone from the coaching game and part of what made him great was his ability to find and inspire great assistant coaches. When you are gone that long your coaching network really shrinks.

It would have been a disaster of epic proportions. Mac is long gone from the coaching game and part of what made him great was his ability to find and inspire great assistant coaches. When you are gone that long your coaching network really shrinks.

They could have kept the exact same coaching staff (save one coach, of course) and had McCartney be the head coach, Bieniemy and Embree be Co-offensive coordinators (one for the pass, one for the run) and I think people would not be as upset about their current start - just because McCartney at least has some history and experience to fall back on.

I thought Mac with Embo and EB as Co-OC's was a good idea. Mac could have withstood the criticism better, and I doubt the team would have been as unprepared as they are now. I also really doubt they'd be 0-3 right now. 2-1, maybe 3-0, but no way 0-3.

Long term would that have been a good outcome? I don't know. Mac ain't the Mac we remember from the 80's and 90's.

They could have kept the exact same coaching staff (save one coach, of course) and had McCartney be the head coach, Bieniemy and Embree be Co-offensive coordinators (one for the pass, one for the run) and I think people would not be as upset about their current start - just because McCartney at least has some history and experience to fall back on.

I just hate being treated like I am 5, and can't comprehend what is going on by Mac, and the admin. "Mac only won 1 game in year 3!" Yeah, and his squads were competitive in most games agianst a rugged Big 8 schedule and a non-conference that included creampuffs such as Notre Dame, Michigan State, Oregon and UCLA.

This scenario is so completely different and worse it is mind boggling.:wow:

I just hate being treated like I am 5, and can't comprehend what is going on by Mac, and the admin. "Mac only won 1 game in year 3!" Yeah, and his squads were competitive in most games agianst a rugged Big 8 schedule and a non-conference that included creampuffs such as Notre Dame, Michigan State, Oregon and UCLA.

This scenario is so completely different and worse it is mind boggling.:wow:

Not to mention it was 30 years ago.

Love Mac. Seems to me to be a good person and good leader. Clearly helped, taught and inspired many people in his time at CU. I believe if he had been hired, coupled with the rest of this staff as assistants we would be looking at something different. I just can't imagine these kids would be so unprepared under Mac. Plus Mac could have helped Embree & Co. understand how to teach kids. The transition to Embree as HC could have been so different.

However, we didn't go that way. We went with the Mac-supported candidate and it has failed miserably. Clearly this staff's teaching methods are flawed and the kids don't want to play for them. It is time to move on. We need to move in a completely different direction, with a coach that is guaranteed massive support from the University (including new facilities). If a new regime does not come in, coupled with vastly increased support from the University, this football team will continue to be garbage.

Swear I've heard this basic speech at least 4 times previously

"let's believe in the president"

Yeah, Bruce Benson is real fervent

This is my big problem. I love Coach Mac for what he did at CU, but he's quickly becoming the boy who cried wolf. I know he's just doing what he thinks is best, but the constant rah-rah stuff when things are OBVIOUSLY not working are getting old. He did it for Hawk at one point. Now he's doing it again. It used to be that Mac would speak and I would get fired up. Now I just kind of tune it out.

With Hansen graduating (thanks Hawk for burning his redshirt), I felt our success this year would all be based on how good the QB would be. I was thinking 4-5 wins if our QB was a little better than average. Since Webb isn't working out we are back to full rebuilding mode, and thus an 0-3 record. If our QB(s) were better the Buffs would be 2-1 at this stage.

Buffs still have talent gaps that have to be filled by recruting. Most notably the WR, QB, OL, and DL.

It's been so hard to swallow these losses (i'm ridiculed everyday about the Buffs at work) but I'm with Mac, and Embro has my full support! Embro and this staff are right for this job. If Dillon or the QB recruit from Washington pans out, the buffs should be pretty good in a couple of years. Heck, the Buffs will be 2 deep at every position because everyone will have game experience. Everyone wants instant results, but it we did hire a new Coach, it would still take someone at least 3 years to turn this ship around. Be patient! Go Buffs!

With Hansen graduating (thanks Hawk for burning his redshirt), I felt our success this year would all be based on how good the QB would be. I was thinking 4-5 wins if our QB was a little better than average. Since Webb isn't working out we are back to full rebuilding mode, and thus an 0-3 record. If our QB(s) were better the Buffs would be 2-1 at this stage.

Buffs still have talent gaps that have to be filled by recruting. Most notably the WR, QB, OL, and DL.

It's been so hard to swallow these losses (i'm ridiculed everyday about the Buffs at work) but I'm with Mac, and Embro has my full support! Embro and this staff are right for this job. If Dillon or the QB recruit from Washington pans out, the buffs should be pretty good in a couple of years. Heck, the Buffs will be 2 deep at every position because everyone will have game experience. Everyone wants instant results, but it we did hire a new Coach, it would still take someone at least 3 years to turn this ship around. Be patient! Go Buffs!

I was thinking we'd be in the 5-7 win range depending on QB play being solid and whether we caught some breaks along the way. That was all contingent on the assumption that the OL and ground game would be good. In general, it also assumed that the team attitude/mental toughness was fixed.

Knowing what I know now, it's hard for me to see a single win. I think we'll get one, but I don't see one that I'd predict for us going into the matchup.

Just filling out a depth chart and having a bunch of experienced players does not make a team "deep". The recruiting has fallen off a cliff, so again, enough with the BS hypotheticals about the talent getting so much better.

If the running game clicks, our QB (whoever it is) has a great game, and the defense offers some resistance, then we should be able to steal 1 or 2.

Just filling out a depth chart and having a bunch of experienced players does not make a team "deep". The recruiting has fallen off a cliff, so again, enough with the BS hypotheticals about the talent getting so much better.
At the time, last February, this class seemed to be a good base to build on. My hope, and other's, was that Embree would begin to show improvement and with his and EB's "recruiting prowess," build on the base. It now looks like that isn't happening the way we'd hopeed.

True. But a veteran team that plays together, plays smart, and has a few playmakers sprinkled in can make some noise. I think back to Wake Forest in 2006. Shocked everyone by winning the ACC with marginal talent. That's a blip, though. Jim Grobe doesn't have the resources and as good as he is, the model can't surpass talent on a consistent basis. He has averaged under 5 wins a year in the past 3 seasons after averaging over 9 in the previous 3. This is why I keep saying that for CU to get close to where we want the program to be we need to attack the problem from all angles.

Duffman, I feel you. Trying to look into a crystal ball and finding out if these players are going to be any good is a flip of a coin. I guess all I can say is have faith in the recruiting.

Buffs will suck until we get a real QB and some playmakers at WR. I've seen high schools with more explosive WR's than we do. Uhg....

Yes, I've long tried to tell people that have an "experienced" team doesn't mean a whole lot when your "experience" is a bunch of terrible players.

Duffman, I feel you. Trying to look into a crystal ball and finding out if these players are going to be any good is a flip of a coin. I guess all I can say is have faith in the recruiting.

Buffs will suck until we get a real QB and some playmakers at WR. I've seen high schools with more explosive WR's than we do. Uhg....

Seriously, the solution is to have faith in recuriting?

As long as Mac keeps trotting out his speeches, then he's entitled to have each and every one of them evaluated for current respectability. Do you think he'd want something less? I don't.

What recruiting pitch would you use to get results?

Any program in the nation can say, "do you want to play for us, or do you want to play for the WTITN?"

Recruiting is more than just a coin flip. If the Buffs are recruiting against non-BCS schools and losing dozens of recruits to conference rivals, it does not take a genius to figure out the will likely struggle because the players are not that good.

I'm seriously starting to wonder about fans who think recruiting is some total crapshoot and that good teams just seem to accumulate talent purely by chance.

Back