What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Liufau Shook hands with the Rams Post-Game

I guess we watched different games. We rarely penetrated their LOS...the fourth and one stop...the RB put his head down and ran into the back of his own player...had he had his head up...he would have cut left and had a first down. CSU doubled the running yards of CU..AND had more passing yards....hard to say that they "sold out" stopping the run...we did not exactly light it up through the air. The first TD run by CSU was a gasher....they parted the sea and the back was not touched. We can agree to disagree...but for the second year in a row, the CSU run game was superior to the Buffs...and the CSU DL put alot more pressure on Sefo than we did on thier QB.... Glad for the win....as some one posted...at least we did not get blown off the LOS by 3 yards...progress...but they still nandled our DL.

Losing 3 starters might have had a bit to do with your impression. Let's see losing our best RB(by far) and our best OL(by far) might have had a little to do with our sub-par running performance. I think that Adkins sets Powell up for success by the contrast in styles. Losing our starting MLB for the past few years to be replaced by a RS freshie in his 1st start ever enabled CSU's early running success.

Losing 3 starters might have had a bit to do with your impression. Let's see losing our best RB(by far) and our best OL(by far) might have had a little to do with our sub-par running performance. I think that Adkins sets Powell up for success by the contrast in styles. Losing our starting MLB for the past few years to be replaced by a RS freshie in his 1st start ever enabled CSU's early running success.
They were also keying on the rush and have more talent on that side of the ball than UMass or Hawaii, so I'm not too displeased with the run game. I like Lindgren's half time adjustment...came out in 3-4 WR sets and really stretched the field and passed more.

i didn't think our 2nd down playcalling was very good, especially after we only had powell left at rb. left us in too many have to pass situations. still hoping to see us use the middle third of the field more.

We had Powell and Lindsay available. I thought that a lot of the plays they ran with Powell were better suited for Lindsay.

The playcalling I thought left a lot to be desired, seemed predictable and didn't take advantage of some of the advantages we had like Fields. We left Sefo in a lot of tough down and distance situations.

This brings up a good question. You can argue that CU has started slow in each game this year. We also had a tendency to do that the last few years (although talent had a lot to do with that). What is the root cause of this? Why does it seem like we keep putting ourselves behind the 8 ball to start games?

I'll start by saying I don't know, but it is the internet so I'll speculate.

Maybe it is just this group of upperclassmen. Yeah they have gone through some down and depressing times but maybe they just are not a self motivated group. When I see guys like Shay Fields in front leading the team out of the locker room, Patrick Carr in the middle of the locker room in the post game celebrations and Phillip Lindsey as the face for local Buff pride I wonder if maybe the upperclassmen are just a quiet bunch. I have probably seen less of this team than most on here (but more than bigjim, three games and available CU Buffs videos). I may be completely wrong.

This brings up a good question. You can argue that CU has started slow in each game this year. We also had a tendency to do that the last few years (although talent had a lot to do with that). What is the root cause of this? Why does it seem like we keep putting ourselves behind the 8 ball to start games?
My opinion is that we are used to being the beta on the field. We sit back and wait for the game to be dictated to us and then we try and answer and respond, rather than taking it over and controlling tempo, possession, etc. My two cents on it.

Through the first 3 games, CU has been outscored 29-14 in the 1st quarter, but have outscored their opponents 81-37 in quarters 2, 3, 4 and OT. This is probably going to be an unpopular opinion, but I think it's a credit to our coaching staff making in-game adjustments. I think we start slow because we still lack the talent to just line up and dominate anybody. It takes a quarter or so before our coaching staff gets a feel for how the opposition is attacking our offense and defense and makes the necessary adjustments.

I believe it has more to do with this than it does some intangible thing like not being motivated or being scared, or being less hyped, etc, etc.

Counter-puncher mentality rather than that of the aggressor who goes out there to impose his will and dictate.

Counter-puncher mentality rather than that of the aggressor who goes out there to impose his will and dictate.

Whatever wins games. I don't care if we lose the first quarter if we go on to win the next 3. Need to not let the aggressor throw so many body blows before we start hitting back though.

You really think it's some sort of team mentality? I believe MM, Lindgren and JL would love to impose their will on both sides of the ball from start to end, but they just don't have the horses to do it. I truly believe that any success this team has this year will be due, in large part, to the staff coaching their balls off with "smoke-and-mirrors" in their schemes.

I loved they said that CSU had to miss 3 field goals for us to have a chance? what about the called back TD and our missed 2 field goals? what about the horrible calls and missed calls by the refs? I think we played a good game and have room for improvement but we had factors against us. Not to mention it is and always has been CSU's superbowl when the play us.

I'm a bit torn on this one. I think I would rather be reading about how he went to there side line, kicked their goat, picked up their best looking cheerleader and carried her to mid field before declaring her too ugly, and walking away. But I guess a hand shake is worthy of press.

Back