What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Local Media Coverage of firing/hiring - (was: Joel Klatt is having a meltdown)

Hadn't heard any commentary on quotes from Jon Major (from the DP article on the players and Henderson's blog):

Senior linebacker Jon Major said he supported the coaching staff but the schemes brought in from the NFL didn't work defending the spread offenses that are prevalent in the Pac-12.
"The game's changed. I think they were just starting to head in the right direction and recognize the need to adapt and expand on what they already knew. It's so much different than when they were around (in college) or in the NFL," he said.
"You can't say they didn't have effort, that they didn't put in the long hours and all the things a coach needs to do to be successful. They just never found the identity that stuck with the type of players we had and the type of conference we were in to be successful. It was tough on them being young and really raised on the pro-style, West Coast offense. It's a different game than it used to be."
CU had the worst defense in school history this year. Asked about Embree's input, Major said, "He had a lot of input and a lot of good ideas. We changed schemes about four times trying to find a way to be effective against these types of offenses."

Read more: Jon Embree's firing as CU Buffs football coach stuns his players - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/cu/ci_220...g-cu-buffs-football-coach-stuns#ixzz2DLgV4CpS
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

Of all the Colorado football players I interviewed Sunday night after coach Jon Embree’s firing, senior linebacker and captain Jon Major may have been the most insightful. He was surprised and disturbed by the firing. Embree was very popular with the players.
But Major admitted that the pro-style offense and defense they tried to install was difficult for college kids.
“I know the pro style offense is about checks and reads,” Major said. “That can be really tough on the learning curve. It’s pretty steep. As far as defense, it’s not an NFL defense anymore. You look at the teams we played, against more of a pro-style offense, we did pretty well.”
In other words, the defense Colorado used did not work against spread teams which are sprinkled all through the Pac-12 and college football.
In that light, Major knows what kind of a coach Colorado should pursue.
“Their top priority has to be a successful college coach who’s had success at the college level,” Major said. “Adaptability is the name of the game.”

I was glad to see comments like these. Sounds like the inference is that Brown, even with JE's input, had not much of any clue on coordinating a college defense.

It is quickly moving towards the trends we see everywhere else. Basically 50/50 now.

93.7 had Bruce Feldman on this a.m. Alot of good points made by him, he brought up Stitt's name, commenting how respected Stitt is in the national coaching arena. Can't really imagine we'd put him in as head coach, but I'm starting to be on board with Stitt as OC or QB coach, along with a defensive minded head coach.

Hadn't heard any commentary on quotes from Jon Major (from the DP article on the players and Henderson's blog):

I was glad to see comments like these. Sounds like the inference is that Brown, even with JE's input, had not much of any clue on coordinating a college defense.

FWIW, I was forwarded a report from a current coach who said that he looked at CU film and thought Brown's schemes were so out-of-date they were comical.

:lol: Clough keeps mentioning 2 to 1 poll that everyone is against the firing and the results I just saw 30 seconds ago showed 55 to 45 % in favor of the firing

I know, I texted in that he needs to check his poll again :lol:

In the end, Brown has been coaching the defensive side for some time now at the college level and frankly his concepts did better against the spread when he was under Hawkins than most teams. See Texas Tech.

To me, defending the spread with Brown in charge was something I felt we'd handle better than other things. Really question how much of the "NFL Way" got in the way. Our team was lost vs. Sac State and Fresno State, and there wasn't much adjustment when we got to the big boys. Perhaps Klatt never watched these games.

FWIW, I was forwarded a report from a current coach who said that he looked at CU film and thought Brown's schemes were so out-of-date they were comical.

Love to hear that, Nik.

Your committment throughout this has been fantastic-- rep to you, sir, I say rep! (when it allows me to rep you again!)

Perhaps Klatt never watched these games.

It's completely possible. The guy is broadcasting games on Saturdays, who knows how much of CU's games (that he didn't cover) he did see?

I just looked at the results. Despite this radio station carrying water for Embree and loudly blasting this firing, the listeners are voting by 56% that firing Embree was the right decision.

That poll is funny now, flipped to 57% in favor of firing, 43% against.

Does anyone ever feel like the Denver media supports the University?

Seems they are always quick to blast them (athletics, tuition, Churchill, etc) but are slow to praise (nobels, CU basketball, etc).

The biggest joke was the move of Pericek to DE. A total stud of a player for sure, but the wrong guy to defend the zone-read. The zone read (at it's core) matches 5 guys up front blocking 6 guys in the box. The QB occupies one DE by making the defense account for the QB. This makes the blocking 5 on 5, with a crap load of "space" as a result of having 4 db's over by the sideline matching up with the 4 WR's. Leaving one safety over the top.

If the DE has to overplay the QB on every zone-read to the outside to keep containment (which Pericek needs to do against even average QB speed), then he is out of the picture all day long. That leaves the cutback hole open as well inside that "read DE".

Game over. Had a hard time believing that Pericek was better suited for this position than any LB we had. Thus, we got to watch guys like Ka'Deem Carey go for nearly 400 yards.

Love Pericek, but think he was miscast in this scheme. Dude left it all out there though.

This station is the worst of all the sports stations in colorado at talking college sports. im sure big al and dmac will talk cu and they havent done that since the csu game.

The way 104.3 is covering this story, their poll results would be like if FoxNews Radio had the majority of people vote on its web site that the people made the right decision in the presidential election. :lol:

Unreal.

Frei was saying that because CU gave Embree a 5-year contract that they owed him that 5 years. What world is he living in? Coaches get fired all the time despite their contract not being up, in fact it's extremely rare that coaches get to finish out their contract in full and then the 2 sides simply part way.

Did I hear Frei correctly stating that the JE hire was strongly influenced by B4L, and not completely Bohn's decision?

Others on this board have said that the process was a bit co-opted by some influences like Mac. That there was some kind of committee and that they were torn between JE and EB (which is why we got both). I dont think those forces will have a seat at the table this time and if they do the voices will be more muted since there are not a lot of Buff coaches left that are available. Only those in the room really know.

I can certainly see how these voices would have more volume back, especially after following the consultant model and retaining Neinas which led us to Hawkins, and it seeming like a big waste of money. The JE voices have been in the picture for a decade now. Its tempting to hire an alum for sure. The truth is for every Nick Saban, Bob Stoops, or Urban Meyer there is a Mike Stoops, Dan Hawkins, Ty Willingham, Bo Pellini, Lane Kiffin. Some of those guys were not able to win at all and some of those guys were able to win a little but no dominate.

The Saban, Stoops, Meyers are much, much harder to come by than the middle of the road or worse guys. But a common theme among them is the coaching tree they were picked from was a very strong one. My point being that if we elevate a DC or OC to a HC this time we should be looking probably first at Alabamas assistants, LSU assistants, Oklahomas assistants, etc.

Last edited:
Frei was saying that because CU gave Embree a 5-year contract that they owed him that 5 years. What world is he living in? Coaches get fired all the time despite their contract not being up, in fact it's extremely rare that coaches get to finish out their contract in full and then the 2 sides simply part way.

He trotted that out last week.

Anyway, never expect Terry Frei to praise an administration for firing a coach. He is a coach's son stuck living in the 1960s/1970s where coaches did not make nearly as much money as today. Plus increased media exposure has dramatically changed college football (for better or worse). Frei wants it to be 40 years ago where coaches got plenty of time and the NCAA controlled TV broadcasts. Sorry, does not work that way.

Back