1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lockridge in the slot.

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by BuffLuKe, Mar 30, 2009.

1. BuffLuKe

BuffLuKe Club Member Club Member

Looks like Lockridge is moving to the slot, at least some of the time. I cant read on Scout, I canceled my subscription, but it says slot machine on the headline. Im cool with it if he's got good hands. He has the athletic ability and can learn routes. He's definitely a step up speed wise and playmaking wise than who we have out there now, besides JSmith. What yall think?​

2. sweaty teets

sweaty teets Club Member Club Member

i like it, rodney will be doing the same i believe. get a **** load of speed outside, with bruisers running up the middle.

3. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

I have to admit that the idea of having Simas, Smith, Lockridge and Stewart/Scott all on the field at the same time gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling. No TE's in something like this, unless you go to a single back formation. That puts a lot of pressure on an opposing defense, though. Lots and lots of weapons, particularly if Hansen is the QB.

4. Dunken

Dunken Member

Agree, this could be the most talented offense with lots of speed in the Big 12.......GO BUFFS!!!!!!

5. jjbuffs13

jjbuffs13 Well-Known Member

Hell we have some athletic TE's. I wouldnt even mind having one of them on the field also to run something underneath, or as my dad always says "Tight End down the middle!"

6. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

I am all for getting Lockridge on the field as much as possible, but it cracks me up that everyone neglects to mention McKnight whenever WRs are brought up. Guy is a terrific route runner.

7. sackman

You're only allowed 11 players on the field at any one time. If you put in a TE, then you'll have to take out the FB. To me, that tips your hand to the defense that you're not running the ball. I know some offenses have run the ball successfully out of a single back formation, but I prefer having a solid fullback in there to clear the way.

8. sackman

Scotty is a nice player, but he doesn't stretch the field or put any particular stress on a defense. We're clearly better with him than without him, so I'm not going to throw him under the bus. However, I don't think he's going to be a starter this year. Perhaps he'll prove me wrong.

9. Duff Man

Not sure the ideal slot receiver, which I think McKnight ultimately can be, needs to stretch the field. It is more important that he can run precise routes and find the open spaces in the defense.

1 person likes this.
  10. Highflyer

Highflyer Moderator Club Member Junta Member

I think we will still see our TEs playing H-Back quite a bit. We only have one real FB on the roster in Behrens.

11. Highflyer

Highflyer Moderator Club Member Junta Member

^^This^^

A slot WR is not there to stretch the field vertically, but to find the soft spots in the middle of the field. Think Stokely, Anthony Gonzales, Wes Welker, etc.

12. KingPants

KingPants Club Member Club Member

Scotty would start over Smith if it came down to it. I would bet on a line up of Simas, Smith and McKnight...or possibly Simas, McKinght and Lockridge if he gets up to speed quick enough. McKnight will deffinatly start if Hawkins is throwing the ball.

13. sackman

Gonzales is a TE, but I know what you're saying here. And please don't get me wrong, I like Scotty. He's a great Buff and he goes out there and makes plays. I guess the thought of those three guys all in the game at the same time seems to present some serious matchup problems for opposing defenses.

14. Duff Man

One thing worth mentioning with the WR discussion is that Simmons actually getting qualified could really change everything. I don't see him being a backup if he makes it in.

15. BuffsRising

BuffsRising Well-Known Member

Anthony Gonzales is a WR for the Colts. Perhaps you're thinking of Tony Gonzales of the Chiefs?

16. sackman

Yes, that's what I was thinking. Sorry.

17. KingPants

KingPants Club Member Club Member

Very true...but with our history I will just assume that he will not, and then hopefully be pleasantly surprised if he does make it.

18. Duff Man

True. It is far from a done deal that he makes it in, but man it would be nice to be pleasantly surprised like with Mohler last year. We need all the help we can get at WR.

19. Rraalph 3000

Rraalph 3000 Well-Known Member

Don't you just love the options we start to develop when you have depth at skilled positions??

It's gonna be fun to watch!

20. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

I think it is a mistake if we run anything that keeps Deehan out of the lineup... kid is gonna be good

21. BuffLuKe

McKnight just doesnt have the speed to be a Welker or Stokeley. Think that is why he isn't brought up. Nice to have him as a possession guy but, if he cant run, hard to expect much else. Maybe he does and havent seen it yet, who knows?

22. Buffarino

Buffarino Math - how does it work? Club Member

That's because he's boring. All he does is run routes right and catch the ball when it's thrown to him. :lol:

I love Scotty and you always need the possession receivers on the team, but they're the blue collar guys, not the sexy gamebreakers.

23. BuffLuKe

slots are usually undersized with good hands and, most importantly, can run their ass off. Dont see McKnight in that role.

24. BuffLuKe

Scotty, to me, is just a football player. You can put him in alot of places and he will do well.

25. Duff Man

Slot guys have good hands and are good route runners. I bolded that part for emphasis. Slot guys need to be able to find soft spots in the zone. 4.4 speed means jack **** if you can't run a route properly. McKnight may not be a burner, but gets open.

The guy has over 500 yards receiving two straight years, but suddenly we're good enough at WR to cast him aside.:rolleyes:

26. sackman

Hold on there pardner, I don't think anybody is casting the guy aside.

27. Duff Man

Or even sometimes when it is not thrown to him, like the Okie Lite game last season.:wink2:

I agree with you though on why he is overlooked.

28. BuffLuKe

playing the positon at a d1 level, i know what the slot has to do ok. not knocking mcknight just think he is a piece, not the answer.

29. BuffNut99

BuffNut99 Club Member Club Member

My hunch here is that Lockridge is merely getting a look at the slot position, similar to how Brian Calhoun and (to a lesser extent) Hugh Charles would line up out there at times. I will upgrade this beyond a "Spring curiosity" if Simmons doesn't qualify.

30. BuffLuKe

Playing the slot, most of your routes are checkoffs. U run many slants and crossing routes, dont have to be a route runner to do those. Welker and Stokes have very good speed, thats why they are in the league. They just happen to have good hands too.