What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

LOL at ppl calling for a new coach...

I am exceedingly disappointed with yesterday's result, but I was surprised (not sure why, in hindsight) that folks are calling for the firing of any coaches after one game. Everyone needs to step away from the ledge and take a deep breath. We were terrible last year (arguably the worst defense to take the field in 100+ years of CU football), lost all of our skill players and replaced them with underclassman. You don't improve that way. I was hoping that we would come out sharp and whip CSU's ass, but there was a very real chance that our freshman starters would periodically screw up royally, the QB who just showed up on campus a month ago would have communication problems with his receivers, and a not very good O-line would still not be very good. None of us should be shocked that all of those things came true.

I know that patience and realism are not the trademarks of college football fan bases, but that is exactly what is called for. Perhaps a bit of history is called for here as well: Bill McCartney had loosing records his first 3 seasons at the helm. His 3rd year, we went 1-10 after winning 4 games in his second year. Think there were a few people calling for his head? Frank Beamer had losing seasons in 4 of his first 6 years, including going 2-8-1 in his 6th year. I'm guessing the fans were keen on replacing him. Since then, VT has gone 185-58, including 8 straight 10+ win seasons. My point is that it is almost impossible to tell the talent of a HC or coaching staff within a few years of inheriting a rebuilding project, let alone one year + 1 game into the job. Everyone needs to just keep going to the games, show your support, and hope that this young team and coaching staff get their stuff together sooner than later. GO BUFFS!

AMEN!!!

Last edited:
Please, honest to god, tell me you aren't even remotely implying that Embree is the next Frank Beamer. Even when VT sucked (and I was one of the few people paying attention at that time), Beamer's teams played smart, disciplined, tough football. We don't do any of those 3 things. It's one thing to suck but put your money where your mouth is in establishing an identity. This staff does the opposite. Talk a big game about smashmouth Colorado football, and when it comes time to put the money where their collective mouths are, they get soft and go for the pass on 4th and inches at the goal line.

Everyone needs to read this post like 3 or 4 times. What is our identity? Did we look like a tough, smart, smashmouth team yesterday?

Please, honest to god, tell me you aren't even remotely implying that Embree is the next Frank Beamer. Even when VT sucked (and I was one of the few people paying attention at that time), Beamer's teams played smart, disciplined, tough football. We don't do any of those 3 things. It's one thing to suck but put your money where your mouth is in establishing an identity. This staff does the opposite. Talk a big game about smashmouth Colorado football, and when it comes time to put the money where their collective mouths are, they get soft and go for the pass on 4th and inches at the goal line.

Could easily say the same about the people who bring up Mac's first three years. Those teams lost but they lost tough. Everyone on the team knew what was expected and who they wanted to be. People complained about Mac because he insisted on sticking with he plan even if it didn't work. This team looked lost yesterday and without a map.

Everyone needs to read this post like 3 or 4 times. What is our identity? Did we look like a tough, smart, smashmouth team yesterday?

: yeahthat:

All the staff has complained about since taking over the program is lack off discipline and lack of identity. Alfred Williams preaches that this team neeeds to establish an identity. Mac worked hard to establish an identity.

and we ****ing give up on any identity we are trying to establish within two quarters into the season? What the ****...

I would not be as upset today if we would have continued to try to pound the rock into the endzone four times when we were sitting at first and goal at the five even if we didn't succeed...But this staff bailed on their identity at that point and we were lost...

Who the **** are we? I can't tell, the players can't tell, and the coaching staff has no clue...

Everyone here is over reacting. Look at our roster and depth chart. Look at the coaching experience. Discipline aside there was no way we should have even had a chance against CSU. Yea we might be more athletic but we are young. Give it some time and stop bitching

Everyone here is over reacting. Look at our roster and depth chart. Look at the coaching experience. Discipline aside there was no way we should have even had a chance against CSU. Yea we might be more athletic but we are young. Give it some time and stop bitching

:lol:

I'm not calling for the heads of the staff at this point. What I am calling for is a follow through on their promise to establish an identity.

CSU's staff has had half the time that embree's staff has had to work on this and they appear to know what direction they are going...can you say the same for the buffs?

I'm not calling for the heads of the staff at this point. What I am calling for is a follow through on their promise to establish an identity.

CSU's staff has had half the time that embree's staff has had to work on this and they appear to know what direction they are going...can you say the same for the buffs?

Well stated.

One thing looks pretty certain. We need some changes in the running game. Powell looked very stout but got what, two touches? And maybe two lead blocking assignments? Put that guy out there. Let's see Abron. Tony Jones showed nothing.

Shouldn't have even had a chance? Against CSU? Against a CSU team that went 3-9 last year? If I believed that, even for a second, I would probably give up CU football and take up an interest in russian roulette....

That might be the dumbest ****ing **** I have read on all buffs and I have read a lot of dumb ****.

Did people really expect for this thing to get turned around in one season plus one game? I guess this is the instant gratification society we live in.

Could easily say the same about the people who bring up Mac's first three years. Those teams lost but they lost tough. Everyone on the team knew what was expected and who they wanted to be. People complained about Mac because he insisted on sticking with he plan even if it didn't work. This team looked lost yesterday and without a map.

The defense yesterday looked quite encouraging to me. If you take out the crap field position that the offense and special teams left them they held their own.

Crawley, Tupou and Thomas are the best athletes the team has recruited since Barnett, the only exception being Richardson and arguably Hansen. If the rest of the freshmen class are anywhere near as talented as those three then CU can expect some much needed talent in the next year or two.

Did people really expect for this thing to get turned around in one season plus one game? I guess this is the instant gratification society we live in.

"turned around"????

You thought beating a dog**** CSU team would mean CU had "turned things around"?

Let's see what happens in the next 3 weeks. Then you can gloat about how things have really turned around.

"turned around"????

You thought beating a dog**** CSU team would mean CU had "turned things around"?

Let's see what happens in the next 3 weeks. Then you can gloat about how things have really turned around.

**** it, you're right. Let's just go down to Folsom with pitch forks and torches and burn the bitch to the ground.

Well, no, but getting outcoached and outplayed by a 3-9 mwc team? 1st year coach McIlwaine has a lesser talented team better prepared and coaches circles around Embo, yeah there is plenty reason to be doubting the staff at this point. I said CU should be good for 5-6 W's this year. The first three make or break the season, falling flat on your face in game 1 in this scenario is hardly anything to be confident about.....

Everyone needs to pull their head out if their ass. We are not saying Embree and company is the next coming if anyone. All we are saying is that YOU CANNOT ALWAYS TELL WHAT YOU HAVE IN TWO OR THREE SEASONS!! He may be a did, or he might get sh!t figured out in a very good way. You cannot tell. Some teams started killer freshmen, but had awesome upperclassmen too on the field. Who was our awesome upperclassmen? Webb, and...........?

Chill, and let the season play out. Enjoy your families if you have them, your health, and chasing skirts if you are single. The Buffs are something we love, but keep perspective on it. It is entertainment, and not a reason to live.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Everyone needs to pull their head out if their ass. We are not saying Embree and company is the next coming if anyone. All we are saying is that YOU CANNOT ALWAYS TELL WHAT YOU HAVE IN TWO OR THREE SEASONS!! He may be a did, or he might get sh!t figured out in a very good way. You cannot tell. Some teams started killer freshmen, but had awesome upperclassmen too on the field. Who was our awesome upperclassmen? Webb, and...........?

Chill, and let the season play out. Enjoy your families if you have them, your health, and chasing skirts if you are single. The Buffs are something we love, but keep perspective on it. It is entertainment, and not a reason to live.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

More or less my point I've been trying to make.

you know, what sucks the most about this thread are the folks who are too young or too new to the program to think that this is ok.

40+ years. it is not ok.

no ****ing excuses. we got outcoached, outplayed, and out-physicalled. the team that wanted it more won. the team that deserved it more won. the fact that such team is a dog **** bottom feeder talentless mwc school ought to make a ****ing impression on some of you. the difference wasn't athletes or experience. the difference was COACHING. end.of.story.

The defense yesterday looked quite encouraging to me. If you take out the crap field position that the offense and special teams left them they held their own.

Crawley, Tupou and Thomas are the best athletes the team has recruited since Barnett, the only exception being Richardson and arguably Hansen. If the rest of the freshmen class are anywhere near as talented as those three then CU can expect some much needed talent in the next year or two.

I mentioned each of these guys as positives in a different thread. I am not down on the recruiting. We aren't getting the same guys as top 25 programs but considering that we aren't even close to that level it is to be expected. I am seeing even the least noted recruits at least being arguably physcially up to PAC levels in contrast to the WAC/MWC/Sun Belt athletes we were recruiting under Hawkins.

The defense did look good, a big step up from last year although we played a team that didn't have anything resembling the speed we will start to see week 4 on.

My biggest problem is that this is a team that had a whole off-season to get ready for a much less talented team that was introducing a new coaching staff. Our O-line got embarassed and our coaching decisions were inexplainable. The team failed to come ready and couldn't or wouldn't do what was supposed to be it's identity, running the football.

If this team is going to be a player in the future it can't lose to teams like CSU now, regardless of the excuses this game should never be a loss. That's on the coaches.

"Give it some time" makes quite a huge assumption that we actually have a great staff in place, instead of a collection of guys learning on the job and guys like Marshall who have been forced out of other places. "Give it some time" is also appropriate when we face teams that are more talented and downright better than us. This was a game in which we had a big talent edge, and still couldn't win. Everyone's reactions are spot on. This is far more devastating than a loss to a Pac-12 team that just knocked the **** out of us through sheer talent.

Are you ****ing kidding me?

Back