1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

long road ahead...

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Liver, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Liver

Liver modded mod Club Member Junta Member

yes, the team was intimidated. yes, the special teams were horrible.

but a few things...

schemes weren't bad. playcalling was pretty reasonable.

we just don't have anywhere near enough athletes. ... not even close... to have a mediocre b10 team with a frosh qb look that much faster, stronger, and tougher tells me we have a long way to go.

maybe we'll steal a couple of wins in conference. there are some pretty ****** teams still left on the schedule.

2. fervorfactor

fervorfactor Active Member

I was totally unimpressed with the poise, influence and leadership shown by the upperclassmen, especially the seniors. It's almost like failure is ingrained into them, especially on the road. Blame Hawk, but these guys need to step up.

3. bigbang

bigbang Member

You have to learn how to crawl before you walk. I don't believe we have a long way to go, it is not that bad. We are now recruiting well. The team is coming around.

4. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

:canabis:

5. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

we aren't very good...and anyone who thought we might be was dreaming.

6. zbuff

zbuff Club Member Club Member

Remind me again why Castor ever sees the field? Overall, though, the coaches can only do so much with the limited talent and time they have had to work with. Maybe some of those imagining a winning season will have woken up by now. I'd hoped we could show improvement week to week to impress some recruits - the schedule isn't helping any.

7. chipwich

chipwich Administrator Club Member Junta Member

long road ahead and we have been wandering this road for 8+ years.

8. bigbang

bigbang Member

I see positive things at the program.

Freshmen class contributing or near the top of the depth chart.

We have a QB who was ranked 9th in the country transfer to CU

We now have depth at RB, Tony Jones looks like the real deal.

A lot of good things happening at CU.

9. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

Bigbang I thought you didn't put much stock in recruiting rankings? Suddenly when we get a highly ranked one, he is a reason for optimism?

10. CenturyBuff

CenturyBuff Member

Unfortunately, the road has been a big circle.

11. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

Long, long road. My biggest fear is that we've reached a level of ineptitude that can only be crawled out of with a miracle coach that is akin to winning the lottery. Are we WSU or ISU? Are we we destined to be a team that has one reasonable season every decade? I don't think so, and I hope not..... but it's hard to see the light right now.

12. JimmyBuff

JimmyBuff Well-Known Member

getting back to 500 isn't hard. Hell Hawk did his 2nd year. Getting the program past that is the issue.

13. azbuff

azbuff Club Member Club Member

Disappointing to realize we are years away from winning more than six or seven games in a season. Oregon is going to score 80 on us.

14. ZKobalt

ZKobalt Well-Known Member

I disagree

15. JimmyBuff

JimmyBuff Well-Known Member

I dispute that. With a reasonable nonconference schedule we can win 6 or 7 games within 2 years.

16. Timbuff10

Timbuff10 Member

This! This is what is killing this team more than anything else. Lack of talent can be overcome but if your upperclassmen aren't showing the new guys how to win, the coaches will have an even more difficult task to accomplish. Not taking a shot at any of the upperclassmen, they have never won so it is probably hard for them to even think about winning on their own. More than half of our team is beat before they even walk out of the tunnel.

I think the results in the W/L column may be about the same as last year but at least this looks like a football team working on building an identity and not some gimmicky conglomeration of confusion that we saw the past few years.

17. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

It's very hard to get back to .500 when you automatically have to write off half (or in a case like this year, thanks to our asinine schedule, far more than half) of your games as losses simply because you're too scared to step up and win a road game. Even Hawkins won ****ing 2 league road games in '07

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  18. 14er

14er “Imitation is suicide.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just some random facts about how bad we are..... sigh. I sure hope we can pull our heads out and find a way to play better SOON. If we lose to WSU I gonna puke.

(Quote from BDC)

19. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

Good thing we went to a western conference :lol:

20. azbuff

azbuff Club Member Club Member

I think I agree with you. My post says more than six or seven games.

21. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

Don't think I've ever felt so defeated as a CU fan. This schedule just worsens it. Ugh.

22. Daaah

Daaah Club Member Club Member

At least you aren't stuck in the columbus airport because your plane hit a bird with pretty much no hope of getting home tonight like i am.

23. Quattro

Drown your sorrows in beer and vodka like I plan to. God damn so this is how WSU fans have felt the last two years...

24. MrFrumpylane

MrFrumpylane Well-Known Member

While that was without a doubt an ugly loss, I think it's unfair to use the Ohio St. game as a preview of things to come for the remainder of the season. IMO, special teams single handedly cost us the game, they consistently put us in a hole that we almost could never get out of. We were constantly starting with long field positions while giving the buckeyes short ones. Those are not easy situations to overcome when you're playing at the Shoe. While I think OSU is still the better team, they by no means dominated us. Our mistakes prevented the game from being competitive.

And to bring up a positive note, I'm not sure if folks noticed but every time that CU was able to get out of the deep end and cross the midfield, the team looked much more poised/confident and put points on the board each drive. Just need to avoid getting ourselves in stressful field positions and give our offense breathing room to get a rhythm going. As everyone should already know, special teams makes all the difference here.

Now, if we were playing at home and we were demolished by the likes of WSU, then I would be ready to write the season off. But we're coming into conference play next week, so we're essentially getting a clean slate to clean up *cough* special teams *couch* our mistakes. I am in no way trying to pass the kool aid around and say that we have a chance to win the conference. Won't happen. But I do believe there is plenty of room for improvement, which is all I want to see at this point.

25. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

Gonna be ugly, even if we beat Wazzu next week it's tough to see how we end up anything but 2-8 after the brutal 5 game stretch looming ahead. 3-10 looks most optimistic at this point

26. rosstr

rosstr Well-Known Member

Cheers to Dan Hawkins: just a downright, one-of-a-kind awful coach.

27. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

I still think this team can move in the right direction. We saw decent improvement in the first 3 games and then ran into a buzz saw against one of the most talented programs in the country at their house. I totally agree that the self inflicted crap is mind boggling. Barnett and Mac made a point of improving and playing their best football in November. I'm hoping Embree can have this team finish strong even if the resulting W-L record isn't all that great.

28. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Club Member Club Member

Thoughts and prayers to the bird who apparently has no hope of getting home tonight...

29. Wyo Buff

Wyo Buff Club Member Club Member

Sorry 'Tini I have to weigh in here. You would clearly be one of the first to be killed if you survived a nuclear holocaust. That said, if we have an Social Darwinists here, that might be positive? : )

30. Quattro

Where'd that come from?