What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Long Snapper Job

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
One of the most important and largely overlooked position battles this year is for the long snapper job. We were blessed the past 4 years with Drescher and never had to worry about it. This will make a huge difference in how well our placekicker and punter perform this year. An accurate snap that gets back there on time can make all the difference between a successful and unsuccessful kick or punt.

Our two options:

Joe Silipo: senior walk-on who transferred from Northern Colorado
Ryan Iverson: a preferred walk-on true freshman from California

I believe it was Alferd who said that one is good on accuracy and one is good at getting the ball back fast, but neither has put it all together. That seems to be backed up by the following (Silipo the accurate guy, Iverson the fast guy):

At the bottom of a great Rivals article on Quentin Hildreth, Coach Hawk had the following to say:

"Both of those guys have done a really good job," Hawkins said. "I think if we had to start tomorrow, Joe would probably be the short snapper and maybe Ryan would be the long snapper."

http://colorado.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1115063

We're lucky to have informed commentary on the kicking game on this site. Thank you, Alferd!

Watch this starting at 45 seconds - similar angle and drill to what Drescher was doing.

And then you start to get an inkling of how good Drescher was ... almost horizontal snap --- fast fast fast.

Look at the difference in the arch below.

[video=youtube;oon73JLqio0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oon73JLqio0&feature=related[/video]

To all you fathers, teach your kid the art of long snapping. Scholarships can be had and if your kid is good enough they can make a long NFL career out of it.

I hate to post this, but I am compelled to.

Why we need better blocking and snapping, 101.
NO way a guy should be there before the ball even hits the punter's boot.

967815644_d5RyK-M.jpg

Zach Grossnickle got one punt blocked by Will Jefferson (16) during the scrimmage.
For more photos and video from the scrimmage, go to http://www.dailycamera.com.
Cliff Grassmick / August 12, 2010

But on the bright side, Will Jeff looked pretty good, doesn't he? Let's hope he can find a way through the other team's line as easily.

On the other "bright" side, what's up with the aqua man shoes? All the kickers had them...

AJ,

If they think it makes them kick better, for all I care they can wear a pink ballet slipper on one foot and a purple Croc with a unicorn pin on the other. :lol:

It is obviously difficult to tell with a still picture, but it looks like Jefferson almost had to slow down in order to block it. I assume we are working on the blocking issues?

Jefferson could have plucked that ball right out of the air and run with it, as far as I know. No idea what the rule would be, but he was back there BEFORE the snap reached the punter.

ugly.

Except for the Nike logo. I like how it is perfectly centered in the photo.:thumbsup:

Watch this starting at 45 seconds - similar angle and drill to what Drescher was doing.

And then you start to get an inkling of how good Drescher was ... almost horizontal snap --- fast fast fast.

Look at the difference in the arch below.

[video=youtube;oon73JLqio0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oon73JLqio0&feature=related[/video]

I like what I see in the first couple seconds of Iversons tape: 4:66 Forty, 106 SPARQ rating, 3-way Starter. Looks like a baller...and a snapper. A plus for the Buffs .

I understand Iverson played several positions in high school and he may contribute well at CU. He's got great size and looks athletic.

Right now, in my opinion, the speed on his long snap isn't up to Drescher's level, but Drescher was outstanding and Iverson is still very young. We are fortunate to have him, but he may not be the immediate answer at long snapper, that remains to be seen.

Damn. That picture of the block... looks like it's gonna hurt. Everyone involved.

And AJ, don't they teach players at East to put their mouthpieces in their mouths?

Back