What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Long term contracts

Hmmm, so 5-7 for Hawk is "win or get off the pot", 6-5 for Mallory makes his firing "strangest of all". That after Hawk took over a team able to win 1 game his first year, Mallory a team that won 5 his first season. After Mallory had 5 seasons, Hawk 3.

I guess the line between 5 wins and 6 is a lot bigger than I would have thought. Either that, or you are just as irrationally negative as ever... :huh:
You completely overlooked the fact that Mallory was 22 - 13 his first three seasons. He didn't inherit a Mercedes from Crowder - if you looks at Crowder's record it's got more ups and downs than the stock market. OU and NU were absolute meat eating killers back then. I think this is the 50th time I've said this and still get all the neg rep - let Hawkins have 4 years to turn it around. This is year 4 - time to start producing. Actually Coach Mac is the one that said give him 4 years - so I guess that makes Mac irrationally negative also.

You completely overlooked the fact that Mallory was 22 - 13 his first three seasons. He didn't inherit a Mercedes from Crowder - if you looks at Crowder's record it's got more ups and downs than the stock market.

I did not overlook that. Maybe he didn't inhert a Mercedes from Crowder, but he didn't inherit the jalopy that GB left behind, either. Maybe Mallory could have started 22-13 with what Hawk inherited, but I seriously doubt it, frankly. The fact is, you think firing Mallory was a terrible mistake, but are clearly chomping at the bit to get Hawk's fourth year over with and are ready to see him fired - even though Malllory's fifth year was only marginally better than Hawk's third.

If Hawk was 22-13 today, I'm sure I'm not the only one who believes you would still be pissing and moaning about him. It's just what you do...

I think Bohn has to look and take lots of things into consideration re: Hawkins performance. It isn't all about wins and losses.

Off the field performance is going to count for a lot.

Hawkins buyout is fairly modest for next season, but CU has spent a fortune getting him to CU. (Almost $4 million spent [$3 mil on Barnett and $800k on Hawkins BSU buyout] before he even coached his first game.) He currently has an extension through the 2012 season.

I think if the team goes .500 or so next year there is a very good chance he gets a 5th year.

I did not overlook that. Maybe he didn't inhert a Mercedes from Crowder, but he didn't inherit the jalopy that GB left behind, either. Maybe Mallory could have started 22-13 with what Hawk inherited, but I seriously doubt it, frankly. The fact is, you think firing Mallory was a terrible mistake, but are clearly chomping at the bit to get Hawk's fourth year over with and are ready to see him fired - even though Malllory's fifth year was only marginally better than Hawk's third.

If Hawk was 22-13 today, I'm sure I'm not the only one who believes you would still be pissing and moaning about him. It's just what you do...
If Hawkins had a 9 - 3 season his second year and an 8 - 4 season his 3rd year, I would not be pissing and moaning.

If Hawkins had a 9 - 3 season his second year and an 8 - 4 season his 3rd year, I would not be pissing and moaning.

And again, would Mallory have had those records with the program Hawk took over?? I seriously doubt it. But just keep counting the days until that pesky fourth year is out of your way. We all know what's going to happen the day after the season ends...

And again, would Mallory have had those records with the program Hawk took over?? I seriously doubt it. But just keep counting the days until that pesky fourth year is out of your way. We all know what's going to happen the day after the season ends...

if the Buffs don't have at least a winning record and a bowl game (and that is the very lowest bar i want to set), then i think it will be fair to question whether hawkins is the right guy for the job.

3 years, 3 losing seasons, including a loss to montana state... but, on the other hand, he's delivered some big marquee wins--- ou, wvu... and he's recruited much better than the last couple of gb classes (altho that isn't a high bar to cross since the program was in a terrible spot reputationally and also by self inflicted wounds).

all in all, imho, hawkins has not really proved that he can coach at this level. CU has lost virtually every conference road game it has played and many of the losses were to physically inferior teams (even accounting for the drop in talent and the rebuilding that is underway). losing games that you are "supposed" to win is a bad sign. losing road games is a bad sign. teams that start out ok and then fall off the cliff in november--- bad sign.

we've had more than our share of rotten luck with injuries and eligibility and depth and all the rest. but, at the end of the day, all that matters is results.

we are headed into year 4. i really think it is fair to expect some results now.

i know that there are some fans who are perceived as wanting hawkins to fail. there were plenty that wanted gb to fail as well. me, i just want to win. i hope to hell hawkins delivers a monster freaking year and all is sunshine and light. that is what is best for CU football. but, i am not going to make excuses for this staff or hold them to standards that seem to be continually revised downward as they continue to fail to meet expectations.

the base line expectation for me is unchanged and has been the same since the early Mac era:

1. always have a winning record
2. always play in a bowl game
3. win more bowl games than you lose
4. play everyone tough and be in every game
5. beat the teams you are supposed to beat and some that you aren't
6. always be in the top 25
7. sometimes be in the top 10
8. every few years, be a serious player for the b12 championship
9. every few years, play in a major bowl as a ranked team and win sometimes
10. every once in awhile be a serious player for the nc.
11. put guys in the nfl on a regular basis
12. always have a top 20 recruiting class
13. graduate as many guys as you can.
14. have guys that represent the program well

that's it. is that so much to ask? :smile2:

if the Buffs don't have at least a winning record and a bowl game (and that is the very lowest bar i want to set), then i think it will be fair to question whether hawkins is the right guy for the job.

I agree with this. I think the talent is there now for this team to at least go .500. Particularly with the OOC schedule this year being less challenging than some seasons... If they don't go .500, I'll have some very serious questions about whether this staff can produce winning football.

BUT, I fully expect them to produce the .500 season and a bowl game. I actually expect them to produce a record equal to or better than Mallory had in this 4th and 5th seasons. My quarrel is with the idea that he only gets this season grudgingly, because it is too early to get his firing over with, and because Coach Mac says we have to. To me the jury is still out on Hawk as a coach, but he still has every chance to prove himself. In every department aside from the product on the field, I think he has been outstanding, and that will buy him some leeway. Hope he doesn't need it...

I agree with BB - unless there is a total breakdown, Hawk gets a 5th season at least. With the emphasis we've all heard about longevity, maybe season 6 has the same guideline, especially if we have a good recruiting year. Last year an overmatched team almost pulled off a bowl game away at NU with a season-long freak injury rash that should count in his favor, not against him.

I agree with BB - unless there is a total breakdown, Hawk gets a 5th season at least. With the emphasis we've all heard about longevity, maybe season 6 has the same guideline, especially if we have a good recruiting year. Last year an overmatched team almost pulled off a bowl game away at NU with a season-long freak injury rash that should count in his favor, not against him.

Back