What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Look Earns NCAA Postgraduate Scholarship

cmgoods

Olympic Sports Mod
Club Member
AOTXEELJRLBGOTU.20121011000457.jpg

articleImageBottom.jpg

Senior Nikki Look

Photo Courtesy: Chip Bromfield, ProMotion Ltd.
Look Earns NCAA Postgraduate Scholarship

Release: 03/18/2013 Courtesy: Linda Sprouse, Assistant SID

INDIANAPOLIS - Senior Nikki Look, a member of the University of Colorado cross country and track & field teams, has been awarded an NCAA Postgraduate Scholarship as she looks to continue her education following her graduation in May.

"First of all I feel extremely lucky because this scholarship is so generous," Look said. "Track has been a part of my life for so long. I think being a part of this team has made my college experience so much better. And to be recognized for being a part of it while doing well in school is huge."

The Castle Rock, Colo. native has been accepted to the University of Colorado School of Medicine at the Anschutz Medical Campus and will enroll in classes this fall.

Look will graduate this spring from CU with a bachelor's degree in applied mathematics and has also earned a Certificate in International Business in Spanish. While at CU, she has recorded a perfect 4.0 and has been a member of the Dean's List all seven semesters.

Since arriving on campus, Look has been racking up various awards. In 2010, she was named to the Academic All-Big 12 First Team and in 2011 she earned the same honor for track and field. Her most decorated year was 2012. She was named to the Pac-12 All-Academic First team for cross country and track and field, was a Mountain Pacific Sports Federation All-Academic Scholar and earned Capital One Academic All-District Second Team honors for track and field. Look was also honored with CU's Scholar Athlete and Buffalo Leadership and Initiative Award in 2012.

Look's future goals go back to middle school; knowing back in eighth grade that she wanted to go to medical school after a pair of ACL injuries. Look saw the process and realized what an impact the doctors had on people lives, which steered her in that direction.

"I'm looking at pediatrics surgery," Look said. "I like working with children. I'm still deciding on orthopedic or neuro. And I like surgery because I'm very detail oriented and I like working with my hands. I'm pretty regimented and like working on things for long hours, so I feel that the job really fits me."

It will be a long journey, but one that Look is very excited about taking. Medical school will take four years and that will be followed by three years of residency. After that, a year is added on for each specialty.

To qualify for the NCAA Postgraduate Scholarship, student-athletes must excel academically and athletically, be in their final year of eligibility and plan to pursue graduate study. Student-athletes must also maintain at least a 3.2 grade-point average and be nominated by their institution's faculty athletics representative.

Created in 1964, NCAA postgraduate scholarships promote and encourage education by rewarding the Association's most accomplished student-athletes.

from cubuffs.com

Back